“Beautiful nature” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Murera Springs Eco Lodge

Murera Springs Eco Lodge
“Beautiful nature”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

I visited this place over the Easter holiday .This is just nature at its best .I never thought I would see an actual stream with clear flowing water and the greenery in this place is just breath taking .SO beautiful .
They set us up for lunch and dinner at a different venue each day and each was even more breath taking than the previous .I really enjoyed myself here so far away from home with no phone network and the place is completely ran on solar energy .
Amos the Chef is really fantastic and went out of his way to make us gluten free deserts and accompaniments .The whole crew from the manager to the porters are really fantastic
One negative though is that the all inclusive charge does not include soft drinks .That is paid separately including water and juice

Room Tip: Cottage no 1 is the best .Its centrally located and is still far away enough to offer privacy .Watch...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Qatar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Ok, first thing first guys, please do NOT post pictures on Facebook if it doesn't belong to you. You build a perception that is very different than the reality and ultimately it pisses off your customers. I went to this place with 4 of my friends and I insisted to stay in this place. The moment we reached there, I was heavily disappointed for the below reasons-
1.) The lodge is OUTSIDE of the meru national park and NOT inside.
2.) The lodge is very untidy and very unclean. Everything was full of cob webs including the ash tray that was there in our banda/room. The bathroom mat was damp and stinky.
3.) The lodge runs on solar energy which is good but there is no way you can charge your electronics in your room and everything needs to be handed over to the receptionist to charge them for you including your laptop, mobiles, cameras etc.
4.) We didn't get a buffet but were served with Salad, Veg Lasagna and a dessert for lunch (with no other OPTION). Now I would be fine with that if I was paying any less than the Serena/Sarovas of Kenya but if i am paying the same amount as I pay in other star properties then I dont think its acceptable for me.
5.) The pool was dirty and looked more like a rectangle ditch rather than a pool.

Now the only reason why I am giving this experience a 3 start is because of its STAFF. From the manager, Tabitha to the Chef Francis to the service boy Joshua, everybody gave their BEST to serve us and I just loved their dedication. By the end of our 2 nights stay at this lodge, I actually started liking it but whether I come back to this place or not is still undecided because its NOT value for money. I might go back but just because of the lovely staff. Tabitha, Joshua, Francis, Ibrahim, Issac- All you guys are awesome. Love you for all the great things you did for us.

Room Tip: Go for rooms no 2 or 3 as they are much cooler than the other rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Shahzad K
NHF_WEB, Owner at Murera Springs Eco Lodge, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
All pictures are authentic from the lodge but yes, there is a new pool as the last one was destroyed by flooding last year and it is rectangular. Old pictures have not been removed and videos still contain the old pool.
The remarks about cleaning are of course not ok. It is made daily all seasons but we will look into the issues.
The other remarks are working as designed. We are outside the national park. This means we are more kids friendly, secure from large wild animals so they can play around in our compound. We can also offer activities like walking trips to show farm products, birds and other smaller animals that is not possible if we were inside the park.
If you have special request, like vegetarian, the chef prepares for you but usually all dishes are served on plate, no buffet style. Of course larger establishments like Serena offer a different experience with large all-u-can-eat buffets. We offer one set menu with personal serving and genuine bush meals.
We are solar powered and this means we can't provide charging in all rooms and we charge them in the office area. The best “local” option we are evaluating is smaller personal solar chargers in the rooms and the problem we encounter is that the chargers need to be charged .
Value is what you expect to get and we are sorry that the guest did not find that he got value for money. We try to offer more of glamping (glamorous camping) in complete wilderness and this guest expected to find a hotell.
calgary, alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I dont normally rate hotels, but I am so disgusted by how this hotel has treated me, I have to warn anyone from staying there. My husband and I took our one year old child (still mostly on baby food) to this establishment around lunch time. They said they didnt have any guests but would throw something together for us to eat; spaghetti to be exact. Some time later they returned with small plates of spiral pasta with a little tomato and a half of a sausage on each plate. We didnt complain but thought it was nice that they threw together what they had. When we asked for the bill we were so shocked that they had billed even my one-year old 1,000 ksh (over 10 dollars), so we paid over 30 dollars for the food alone. The value was so terrible. When I complained they literally called us trespassers who were lucky to be served food. I suggest for anyone looking for respectful staff and a better meal, go next to Ikweta where you can get a 5 course meal for the same price and friendly staff. Or for that matter, cause this place isnt in Meru park, you can stay in Maua town not far from the park.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tdhallhobbs
NHF_WEB, Owner at Murera Springs Eco Lodge, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
We are a lodge offering full board accomodation only. This person did not consume any of our services so is it a guest review?
For security reasons we only allow pre-booked clients. Since this visit many incidents have happened in Kenya and we have informed the antiterrorist unit about this couple.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I went looking for a weekend getaway plan to treat my special lady and thought, “Why not go for a different experience?” Hotels and the places people thus far frequent are so very cliché and most times so drab. Well, we happened to stumble across the Murera Springs Eco Lodge and were mind blown by the tranquil ambience, flora and fauna. The hosts were abso-very hospitable... the setting is conducive and relaxing far from the daily day to day hustle. The Eco friendly nature of the lodge - harnessing of solar energy for lighting and power and very little interference of the lodge setup with the ecosystem is a big PLUS. The well-furnished canvas bandas blend well with the environment where the chirping of the birds, the bush baby cries and the crickety crickets put you at one with nature. Meru National Park is also a few minutes for those who would fancy a game drive. I definitely recommend this as an ideal get away for anyone looking for an out of town, peaceful and relaxed atmosphere. (5 stars)
P.s: No Wi-Fi/internet/clear cellular signal, therefore an ideal place for those who would want an off grid much needed office break.
Mo&Sh

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ShRgz
cph
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a fine place close to the entrance to Meru National Park in Kenya. The staff is very friendly and attentative. The service is good. The tented camp clean. The tents are in dense tree cover. There is a nice but very small pool. Also as the Lodge's name implies they want to be eco-friendly so for example laundry is done at no extra charge so people are not using all sorts of soaps and detergents in their rooms. I don't have any more information on the Eco idea though.

We were only there 2 nights, but our experience was very good and so would recommend this place if you are to visit Meru National Park. Our safari was arranged by Goodman Africa Safaris (itself an excellent choice for a Safari) so it was this Company that selected the lodge for us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hrs_foo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Easter fell during the election period and my husband and I were looking for a getaway from all the election related "noise and hustle". We were glad we chose Murera because first and foremost there is no network. And thus you cannot use your phone or computer apart for recreational purposes. Given it is an eco lodge, they use solar power meaning that even to charge your electronic gadgets, can only be done at designated points where the staff have to plug in for you. So this was a great means to keep off the telecom and internet noise.

The weather in Murera is also amazing. It is hot and humid even when it rains and as such pretty comfortable for outside sitting even at night. We did not experience any mosquitoes or annoying bugs during the entire time we sat outside even though we were armed with sprays and ointments in anticipation.

The accommodation comprises of a mixture of materials (wood, tent etc) giving it a very cozy feel. I particularly liked the fact that the windows were made of wire mesh and as the lodge is surrounded by bush and trees, there is lots of nature, birds and ilk that was very soothing to listen to especially in the morning.

We had our small children with us, and the swimming pool was approx 1.2Metres at the deepest point which was ideal for them to swim comfortably without us having to worry about the deep end and such. Obviously an adult looking for a dive would be disappointed by this pool.

The food was quite nice. The only issue we had was a lack of choice meaning for example when they served fish, and you did not fancy the fish, there was no other choice to have. They also did not have a kiddy menu which was unfortunate for us with little children. There was also no bitings on offer in between meals which is much needed especially for the children. We however learnt later that one is able to pre-order meals of which we did on our last day there and enjoyed alot. The biting issue however was still a major let down as they made some sandwiches that were not all that.

They also had limited drink choices, and as such we were forced to buy our preferred drinks from an outside establishment.

We did communicate all these issues to the management who were extremely receptive and eager to implement any changes necessary to make their guests comfortable. And for that, I give them a 5 star.

I would most certainly return, and recommend my friends to try it out !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AMigwi
Manitoba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 lovely nights at Murera Springs. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were friendly, helpful, and attentive. They went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay.
The rooms a lovely, and all privately tucked away in the bush - complete privacy. The beds are some of the most comfortable beds I've encountered in Kenya!
Unlike some of the other reviews, the food was very good and a nice variety. The chef even came to our table to introduce himself on our first night.
If you are looking for a mid-priced accomodation - this is very good.
Meru park is absolutely stunning. A must see if you are in Kenya for a long stay.

Room Tip: Ask for Tent #2 - tucked away from the restaurant - lots of privacy
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Maua
Elsa's Kopje
Elsa's Kopje
#1 of 6 in Meru National Park

Been to Murera Springs Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!