“Excellent hotel with great service, the right attitude and a GM that cares”
Review of Greenbelt Marriott

Greenbelt Marriott
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Greenbelt
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Excellent hotel with great service, the right attitude and a GM that cares”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed here twice recently, and as a loyal Marriott member don't tolerate poor quality or bad service. I had occasion to bring two disturbing issues to the GM's attention, that were turned around quickly with the right attitude and answers. The GM and his staff made this hotel work for its quests. I felt wonderful staying there because it was great service all around, and the GM was one of the best I've found. The GM there would do anything it took to make his quests feel at home and happy. What a great Marriott!! Robert Knauer CEO of the Acquisition Institute Inc., and a loyal Marriott member for years.

Room Tip: Check in with the GM and his staff just to let them know who you are, and what you like and dislike...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ceo K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
San Diego
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I've been staying for business at this hotel consistently and frequently over the last 2 years. From your arrival the staff treat customers as family. Whether in the Concierge Lounge, the lobby, Starbucks, restaurant, or the bar, I've been made to feel as if the staff and management are truly glad that I'm there. It's like the "Cheers" bar turned into a hotel. On the other hand, they are sensitive to people wanting to be left alone; I've never felt assaulted with attention.
The hotel itself is like the 'grande dame' of hotels. It is comfortable without being fussy; quiet; with a measure of luxury that's a step or 10 above more recently constructed hotels.
It has all of the conveniences expected of a business hotel; WIFI, a lobby "store," Starbucks, coffee in the room, and a Concierge lounge.
When things have gone wrong, as eventually and inevitably they will, the staff have responded effectively and immediately. They have gone out of their way to ensure that I'm satisfied, or that the problem has been solved and I have what I need. I have never felt abandoned to solve the problem myself.
This review is not based on one stay. I've stayed here once or twice a month for the last two+ years. I'm a frequent traveler with roughly 2 million flight miles and a commensurate number of nights in hotels. I have the choice of staying in almost countless hotels in the Capital region. You will not be disappointed in your stay here. And if you are, please make a point to tell Bill Long, the General Manager; he will want to know and to know why.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice machines.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed there for a week, while my husband was attending a conference in Greenbelt. The hotel, although comfortable, did not cater for spouses. We were given a room on the third floor overlooking the car park. At my request, we were moved to the 18th floor which allowed us to witness the most wonderful sunset over the distant DC. Well worth it, and the wait for the lift was not that long!
The swimming pool was unfortunately closed on week days during the day (however, the pool attendant was charming and very chatty especially in French).
The front desk staff was most pleasant and polite but did not have any tourist information on DC to give out. I would have appreciated a map of the metro/bus and one of DC in colour rather than being given a black and white print from the computer!
The restaurant again had a very friendly staff, and the shuttle from the hotel to the metro station could not have been driven by more helpful and cheerful drivers. On one occasion, when the evening shuttle failed to pick me up on time from the metro station , the driver insisted on treating me with a bowl of soup and a warm drink upon arrival in the hotel. Much appreciated!

1 Thank MillbrookCottage
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I've stayed at this property many times over the past 20+ years. The exec lounge is hosted by Margarita (in the evening). She is incredibly thoughtful and accommodating. Ms. Dolly runs the lounge for breakfast, and she is attentive and helpful. Rooms are comfortable, consistent with Marriott standards. The hotel runs a shuttle to the nearby Greenbelt metro station, making this a good location for D.C. sightseeing access at a reasonable price. Booking ahead by a week or more usually yields a savings of $20+.

Room Tip: Choose rooms numbered between xx13 and xx20 to minimize traffic noise from I-495.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Very clean and comfortable hotel. Coffee shop in lobby a definite plus. Additional plus: electric outlets in headboard so I didn't have to unplug lamps/clocks to power my electronics! Restaurant in hotel good too. They won me over when chef came out of kitchen to speak to me. I 86'd fresh vegetables from my plate and he delivered my meal personally, asking if he could prepare something else for me in lieu of the vegetables. Truly appreciate that kind of service. 2 college football teams were in hotel same nights I was and although I imagine they got rowdy at some point, I was never disturbed by noise, etc. during my slumber. I'd definitely stay here again - it's close enough to area attractions to use as a home base.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was pleasant enough and we had a nice size room with a decent view. When I have to pay extra for wifi in my room, that annoys me. Not all Marriott properties are like that but this one was. Very disappointing and cheesy. Would have rated higher but being "nickel and dimed" irritates me.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I had a very clean room in this upscale hotel while visiting UMD. Compared to other hotels in the area, this one is best (and it better be at over $200/night). Enjoyed a mocha at the Starbucks inside the hotel. No free breakfast which is expensive. Didn't get a chance to try out the fitness center. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenbelt
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Residence Inn Greenbelt
#3 of 5 in Greenbelt
Holiday Inn Express & Suites College Park-University Area
Holiday Inn Washington College Park

Been to Greenbelt Marriott? Share your experiences!