“Excellent stay outside DC with easy Metro Access”
Review of Greenbelt Marriott

Greenbelt Marriott
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Greenbelt
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Excellent stay outside DC with easy Metro Access”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Our family recently headed down to the DC area for a 4 day visit. We decided to stay outside the city at this Marriott located in Greenbelt, MD. The Hotel is very close to the Metro so we had full access in/out of Washington DC. The hotel is located right off I-495/I-95 near the College Park Interchange. It is very easy to get to and visible from the main roads as its 17+ stories high. I had stayed at this Marriott a few years back on a previous trip down and had an excellent stay.

Our family had three rooms on the 17th floor during this stay over Thanksgiving. It was very quiet, although my mom did complain one night about the Ice Maker down the hall kept cycling ice. The rooms were typical with two double beds, which seemed a bit small on this trip. We asked the staff to swap out the down beddings for regular beddings due to some allergies and this was taken care of fairly quickly. The showers and towels were above average and the daily changeover was completed without issue. We overlooked the industrial side of the hotel, but not a bad view. On our way out each day we were able to see the University of Maryland campus as well as the US Capitol and Washington Monument in the distance from a hallway window, a nice way to start the day.

On this trip we went ahead and booked the rate with the breakfast included. If you are travelling with four or more I would suggest this. It’s a pretty standard buffet but individually priced its pretty expensive. The food choices were excellent and waffles and omelets fixed to order each day. OJ and coffee are included although a pretty active Starbucks is located in the lobby. We had scheduled Thanksgiving dinner at another location but what Marriott had to offer looked very appealing. I would suggest this if you are traveling over the holiday and looking for a family style buffet.

The kids took advantage of the inside pool each night. It’s a pretty standard lap pool with a hot tub. A lifeguard is on duty at all times. Both the hot tub and pool both have handicap access with motorized lifts – a nice touch for those that need it. The pool hours during week are limited to 5-10pm, while weekends/holidays 10am-10pm. Towels are provided. We used the business computers to access email and base web surfing. Wi-Fi is not included in your stay. After walking around all day we did not use the fitness center, but it is fairly larger from what we have experienced at other Marriotts.

Parking is free, but the front entryway is a bit tight during drop off or pick up. The staff is very friendly and receptive to questions and requests. Like most reviews here I did find it quite annoying the TV plastered right behind check-in. I felt it was very distracting especially when displaying questionable material. The Greenbelt area including College Park has plenty to offer in amenities in both eateries and shopping. You will need a car to get around with only the Metro being within decent walking distance. Overall we had a great experience and left feeling we would return again in the future.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer better view. Ice machines are not behind closed doors in the hallways.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JonesFamily818

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great hotel with a very nicely redesigned lobby, very clean guest rooms, and a new Starbucks in the lobby. The staff here were very friendly and accommodating. Higher floors are better due to road noise in the lower levels. Parking was very easy on property, free...

Room Tip: High floors are better...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a really nice hotel with a great staff. The people are very friendly and helpful.
Would definitely stay again if I am in the area. The only drawback would be that it is not near any shopping mall or major attraction.

• Stayed October 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed at the Greenbelt Marriott in surburban DC- September 28-30- and was very pleased with the my stay. The location was close to EVERYTHING. Was able to go to attractions/nightlife in DC/Baltimore/Silverspring/Bowie with any hassel. The hotel offers free parking and we were able to get rates for $90/night. They also have a dinner special - 2 entreees for $22 which was right on time. Would like to see a breakfast rate included with the room but not a deal breaker. Rooms are great and overall the property is in excellent condition. Great weekend stay in the DMV!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel while in town for a wedding. The front desk staff was very pleasant and the hotel lobby was bright and nicely decorated. My favorite part of my stay was my morning run in the fitness center. It was surprisingly big for a hotel fitness center and pretty clean. The guest room was adequate, notwithstanding the small bathroom and poor lighting near the closet. It was a little noisy in the hallway (I stayed on the 9th floor) and the noise traveled into the room. I wish there was free WiFi in the room, but was pleased with the free parking, so I won't complain too much. Overall, I had a nice stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

This Hotel had a great concierge. I had to stay for a month for work and they had breakfast and light dinner M-F. The ladies that host were the best! Overall, the staff in general were great. (I only had one problem with a package that was "lost" for three weeks. Good thing Fed-Ex records signatures! It was tampered with so the hotel gave me a full refund for the package and assured me that this NEVER happens. I wouldn't advise having anything delivered there.)

• Stayed September 2012
Rockville Centre, New York
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Overall hotel experience was positive.

One disappointment was the frequency of the hotel shuttle to and from the Greenbelt Metro station. The shuttle runs EVERY HOUR which is not the most convenient schedule for those business travellers doing business in DC. On my 1st day there I missed the shuttle by about 10 minutes and had to wait 50 minutes outside the Merto station in the hot sun in my business suit for the next shuttle. A call to the hotel to request a special pickup did not help and I was told that I would have to wait for the next shuttle in 50 minutes. Certainly not what I expected of a Marriott property and certainly not what I expected as a Gold Elite Member.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the highway for light sleepers.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenbelt
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Residence Inn Greenbelt
#3 of 5 in Greenbelt
Holiday Inn Express & Suites College Park-University Area
Holiday Inn Washington College Park

Been to Greenbelt Marriott? Share your experiences!