“Very good experience”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Greenbelt
Sarasota, Florida
“Very good experience”
Reviewed May 1, 2008

We stayed one night. The reception people were very polite, the hotel was conveniently located to the Baltimore-Washington Pkwy., and the room was very clean. We did not have the breakfast buffet; we ordered from the menu, and the food was excellent. Restaurants weren't too far from the hotel if one desired. We will definitely stay here again. I left my sweater in the restaurant and when I called, they said they would send it to me free of charge.

Stayed April 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Laval
Reviewed March 24, 2008

We booked on www.hotwire.com and got 67% discount for three nights. Amazing location if you come from Montreal / New York.

Great service, clean rooms and great location if you want to visit Washington DC, Baltimore (www.aqua.org is a must) and need to do some shopping for kids in the local Safeway supermarket.

Breakfast - we paid $10 per person (adults) for a "so and so" mix of fruits, hot food and toasts. Nothing better available close by unless you grab something on the go from Saveway's.

• Liked — Location and price via www.hotwire.com
  • Disliked — Breakfast options - could be better quality - but what do you get nowadays for $10?
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2008

We arrived at 1.30am but were greeted by a friendly receptionist. We were given a choice of floors to stay on. We liked the fridge, microwave etc. We got the buffett breakfast at $9.99 which was nice. We'd stay here again!

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Maybe needs a refurb?
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL USA
Reviewed February 15, 2008

This was our second stay at this hotel. We were stayed there as part of the wedding party back in 1999. The hotel, while older, was clean and well maintained. The service was excellent and the staff was very helpful and always smiling. There was a volleyball pit where we had a great time. The kids loved the pool. The pool isn't a resort pool by any stretch, but the kids still had fun and they loved it. We chose this hotel because it was right next to the location for the wedding reception. It appears as if the hotel probably appeals to more business travelers, but it was adequate for our needs.

The nearest Metro station was a bit of a drive, but no more than 15 minutes away. We just hopped on the Metro and went into DC to see the sites.

Based on my last two visits to this hotel I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed August 31, 2007

My husband had business meetings near the HI Greenbelt, so we stayed there a few nights in July. It was okay, but for other trips since then, he has been staying at the Marriott (the HI used to be his regular place).

The good:
-I flew into BWI airport on my own, and was able to take public transit to get to the hotel. I took 2 buses (first the BWI Express to the Greenbelt metro, where I transferred to a Metrobus). It took a fair bit of time, but it worked well for me. Many hotels are not easily accessible unless you have a car.
-Some of the staff members were friendly.
-Easy walk to Safeway, CVS, Chevy's (yummy Mexican food!), a Denny's (which was much cleaner and friendlier than I was expecting).
-There are some interesting things relatively close by, including Goddard Space Flight Center and the National Wildlife Visitor Center (we had to drive to these, although it may be possible to bus to the Space Flight Center).
-Free hot drinks in the lobby (from a machine) plus fridge and coffee maker in the room
-My husband said he had a really good burger in the on-site restaurant.

The bad:
-The room was a bit rough around the edges. Not dirty, but showing its age.
-Front desk got our room record all messed up (it showed "vacant' in the computer even though my husband still had his key card and we weren't due to check out until the next day - we only found out b/c I needed a key card). No harm done, but it's a good thing no one else was given a key to our room!
-Some of the other front desk staff were a bit crabby, but it was very busy with tour groups at the time, so it is understandable.
-The free coffee in the lobby was worth the price ;-) i.e. it was gross!
-There seems to always be a police car parked out front / it may be for a security guard on duty (?). Not too sure what that is about, but it looks odd!
-The price was not particularly great (in the range of $150 / nt)

All in all, it was not the best place we've ever stayed, but it was far from the worst! I would stay there again (for a few nights) if the price was a bit lower, but I'm not sure if my husband would.

• Liked — Location was convenient for our purposes
  • Disliked — Hotel was not in great shape
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Eey77
Ashburn, VA
Reviewed August 8, 2007

I stayed here for a month for business and experienced less than satisfactory conditions at the Holiday Inn - Greenbelt, MD

Here are a few examples; upon check-in I noticed a hair on the toilet, which I cleaned. Then in the nook of my shower and on the toilet some stains that I hoped were permanent, but as I am a bit germ-a-phobic I used my Clorox wipes and off they came - yuck! Then a week or two later my shampoo left a stain in the shower and when I checked back in on Monday to the same room it was still there. Besides the less than acceptable cleaning standards, the maid staff didn't always replace all the towels and toiletries or remove all trash or room service dishes.

My fellow employees also experienced some difficulties - examples: one found the sticky mouse traps in his room, at least one's room was very unclean and one's AC didn't work.

Also there seemed to be homeless people hanging out in the lobby and in front of the hotel

The front desk staff blew hot and cold, depending on who was on duty. Either way condidtions did not improve.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
North Carolina
Reviewed October 30, 2006

Nice, but expensive restaurant. Rooms are very nice and roomy and well laid-out.

Desk people can be surly or nice, depending on which shift is on. Parking is excellent. Hotel is very near a good shopping center and numerous restaurants are nearby. Staff, other than desk personnel are excellent. Too expensive for what you get and they will not drop their price, even if you ask.

Mostly for government, NASA personnel, and contractors. Sometimes have bus tours and kids' sports, but rooms are well insulated to muffle noise.

You could do better, but it will cost you a lot more to do so.

• Liked — Near the Washington Beltway and Washington Parkway
  • Disliked — Restaurant is too expensive; room service is outrageus; desk people can be surly.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book the room, eat breakfast and meals soimewhere else. Good for business persons.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Jersey City Man
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenbelt
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
#5 of 5 in Greenbelt
Residence Inn Greenbelt
Residence Inn Greenbelt
#3 of 5 in Greenbelt

Been to Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt? Share your experiences!