“Almost an A+, but...”

Courtyard Greenbelt
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Greenbelt
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This hotel would get an A+ from me easily. The front desk staff was easily the friendliest and most accommodating staff I've ever encountered. They were always cheerful, energetic, and answered all of my questions with a friendly disposition. They also knew a lot about the area which was very helpful. The lobby of the hotel is awesome, beautifully designed with plenty of space to relax, check email, or watch the game on the big screen TV. The restaurant/lounge looked nice, although I didn't get a chance to partake. Plenty of parking and I like that the hotel is close to the BW Parkway with easy access to DC. They do provide shuttle service to/from the Greenbelt Metro which is convenient. Although the first night I had to wait 30 minutes in the cold for them to come. The rooms are modern and updated. However, there was some obvious rust on the door hinges and a big stain on my carpet near the night stand. The layout of the hotel is a little odd. Those little things are why I'd give the hotel an A, just not an A+.

Room Tip: Parking fills up fast at night in front of hotel. So if you get a room on the back of the hotel, par...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ProfessorCool
ManagerGB, General Manager at Courtyard Greenbelt, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. Maybe next time we will get that A+ that we really desire.

I would like to apologize for you having to stand in the cold while waiting on our shuttle. With only one van we really do our best to try and service all of our guests. The van has been a great addition to our hotel since we started last year.

I'm also sorry that you room wasn't 100%. We do our best to try and fix everything that we can as soon as possible. I hope you reported those issues to the front desk so that we can take care of those issues before the next guest.

Please stay with us again if you are ever in the area. Your business is truly appreciated.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Greenbelt

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I recently stayed at the courtyard for the Maryland football game with my wife and children. The check in process was great. The rooms were "new looking" and clean. The breakfast staff was amazing. Kevin delivered some of the best service Ive seen in a hotel or any restaurant. Lynn at night was very friendly and fast even on her own. I will be coming back as a regular.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel, arriving exhausted. Kari (at the front desk) eased my pain with a speedy check-in. Unlike other Marriott hotels I have visited in the past, this hotel was worthy of the Marriott name - clean, well kept, spacious, and quiet. It also helped that the price was less than $80 per night. I had a minor issue which was immediately addressed. The bed was a bit too soft for my liking but it did not affect my sleep. I have already made my reservation at this hotel for next month while in town for a business meeting. Great accomodation!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at this Courtyard last week. We chose this location, since we wanted to sightsee in the DC area and did not want to drive into the busy city. If this is what you want to do, this hotel is perfectly located. They run a complimentary shuttle service to and from the nearest metro station.
Of course, sometimes the best of plans do not work out! We arrived at the Courtyard on the day that the federal government shut down! On day one, we drove approximately 35 minutes east to Annapolis instead, and enjoyed touring this lovely state capital. On the next day, we did use the hotel's shuttle service to the metro station and saw what sights in Washington were available to us. The shuttle was efficient and prompt. We had to make arrangements for it the evening before.
The hotel was clean. All personnel were friendly and efficient. We ate breakfast there one morning, and the food service was limited, but very good. You have to remember that this is not a full service hotel.
If I have any complaint, it is the fact that the hotel pool was only open in the evenings. This struck me as unusual, since the pool is indoors. Since we had some extra time to spend at the hotel, and the weather was sunny and in the 80's, we sat on the outdoor sundeck without being able to swim. Also, there are no safes in the rooms. Some years ago, we were victims of a hotel burglary, and hotel safety is a high priority with us. We did feel that all access points into and out of the hotel were very secure.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. It is truly appreciated. I'm glad to hear that you had a nice time while a guest in our hotel. I apologize that you were not able to utilize the pool. Prince George's County Law require us to have lifeguard on duty when the pool is open. We are not the only hotel in this area that has the limited pool hours. It's very seldom that we have guests who want to utilize our pool Monday thru Friday's. That is why we open from 5 PM - 10 PM on those days. Our Saturday and Sunday hours are a lot longer. We are open from 10 AM - 10 PM. Please stay with us again if you are ever in the area again.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Enjoyable stay; surely will revisit. The hotel shared grounds with Fridays and other eateries,. Easily accessible to 440 and other highways. A descent shopping area/mall is less than a quarter mile away.

Room Tip: Book early with a website such as Expedia
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerGB, General Manager at Courtyard Greenbelt, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments. It is truly appreciated! We really do our best to go above and beyond the call of duty for all of our guests. If you are ever in the area again you know exactly where to stay.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a family reunion. The majority of the staff was friendly and helpful. The food was good. The price of the room was reasonable.The hotel was located close to the highway, local stores and restaurants. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013
ManagerGB, General Manager at Courtyard Greenbelt, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate your comments and we are sincerely glad that you enjoyed your stay while a guest in our hotel. I definitely will share your comments with the team as I do with all comments.

If you are ever in the area again please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I came to the hotel for a short stay. The check-in was quick and the front desk attendant was friendly and quick. I had a reservation and there was no issues. They had my room ready and it appeared clean once I entered. However, the room has no microwave. That was a surprise. I have not been in a hotel room without a microwave ever (especially one that goes for $85-105). There is one at the front desk in the market.

I hung out in the room some and decided to get food from the bistro. It is not a bistro. It is worse than the food made and served at a gas station. I should have walked over to TGIF. It was way too expensive for the quality. They look as if they have room for a real kitchen. That would be great.

Before I went to the front I realized the side door that was supposed to be closed and opened only with a room key was not closing properly. The door did not fully close without being slammed. This made for a huge security issue. The door is on the first floor by many rooms and an elevator. Anyone could walk into that door unseen and could force their way into a room. I brought the issue with the door to the attention a female front desk attendant and she said it shouldn't be that way. No kidding!?! I was taken aback by her nonchalant attitude. She did not do anything about it either. I woke the next morning and the door was still open. I slammed it every time I entered. Each time the door did not lock. It seemed as if the door has to be opened very wide for it to actually close properly. Also, by the way people came and went, I believe the staff knew the door didn't close. It does not seem like a new thing.

Everything else was minor in comparison to the issue with the door. However, the room was not as nice as it seemed at first. The AC was terribly dirty. The filter has a layer of dust and dirt on it not to mention mold on the unit. I shut it off for the remainder of my stay. It was also loud but I could overlook that.

The window sill is a mess. It looks as if it may have gotten wet or the paint is just so old it is chipping. I noticed all the issues on the second day of my stay and decided to stay in the room for the last night.

The bathroom has water damage and mold on the ceiling. The shower has minor mold, although it could be worse and they are just caulking over it. There is a lot of sloppy caulk work. Outside the bathroom, the sink area has sloppy paint on the door frame and old wallpaper. The light fixtures were both pretty dirty. There is also mold on the frame of the room door.

It seems as if the room needs to be renovated. These things are not huge even though I hate to find mold in a room. However, coupled with the door, I will never stay here again. The hotel does not care about the security of their guest.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms near the elevator. They are extremely noisy and active all night.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Danie R
ManagerGB, General Manager at Courtyard Greenbelt, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay. We take safety very serious and this is something that should not be compromise under any circumstances. The interaction with the staff member is certainly not typical and I will raise this issue with my entire team as a training exercise. Upon reading your comments I have checked every door and each door is now working properly.

I hope you reported your room issues to the front desk so that we may fix everything that is wrong in that room. There is no excuse for a room in that condition should be sold to anyone. This definitely should have reported so that we could have taken care of this problem before selling the room. It would be a great help if you could contact the hotel and let us know what room you stayed in. If f not we will find it and take care of it right away.

Please feel free to contact myself directly if you are travelling to Greenbelt again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay. Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that you give us another chance if you are ever in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenbelt
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Hampton Inn - College Park
Hampton Inn - College Park
#3 of 12 in College Park
Holiday Inn Express & Suites College Park-University Area

Been to Courtyard Greenbelt? Share your experiences!