“Safety issues”

Courtyard Greenbelt
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Greenbelt
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I came to the hotel for a short stay. The check-in was quick and the front desk attendant was friendly and quick. I had a reservation and there was no issues. They had my room ready and it appeared clean once I entered. However, the room has no microwave. That was a surprise. I have not been in a hotel room without a microwave ever (especially one that goes for $85-105). There is one at the front desk in the market.

I hung out in the room some and decided to get food from the bistro. It is not a bistro. It is worse than the food made and served at a gas station. I should have walked over to TGIF. It was way too expensive for the quality. They look as if they have room for a real kitchen. That would be great.

Before I went to the front I realized the side door that was supposed to be closed and opened only with a room key was not closing properly. The door did not fully close without being slammed. This made for a huge security issue. The door is on the first floor by many rooms and an elevator. Anyone could walk into that door unseen and could force their way into a room. I brought the issue with the door to the attention a female front desk attendant and she said it shouldn't be that way. No kidding!?! I was taken aback by her nonchalant attitude. She did not do anything about it either. I woke the next morning and the door was still open. I slammed it every time I entered. Each time the door did not lock. It seemed as if the door has to be opened very wide for it to actually close properly. Also, by the way people came and went, I believe the staff knew the door didn't close. It does not seem like a new thing.

Everything else was minor in comparison to the issue with the door. However, the room was not as nice as it seemed at first. The AC was terribly dirty. The filter has a layer of dust and dirt on it not to mention mold on the unit. I shut it off for the remainder of my stay. It was also loud but I could overlook that.

The window sill is a mess. It looks as if it may have gotten wet or the paint is just so old it is chipping. I noticed all the issues on the second day of my stay and decided to stay in the room for the last night.

The bathroom has water damage and mold on the ceiling. The shower has minor mold, although it could be worse and they are just caulking over it. There is a lot of sloppy caulk work. Outside the bathroom, the sink area has sloppy paint on the door frame and old wallpaper. The light fixtures were both pretty dirty. There is also mold on the frame of the room door.

It seems as if the room needs to be renovated. These things are not huge even though I hate to find mold in a room. However, coupled with the door, I will never stay here again. The hotel does not care about the security of their guest.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms near the elevator. They are extremely noisy and active all night.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Danie R
ManagerGB, General Manager at Courtyard Greenbelt, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay. We take safety very serious and this is something that should not be compromise under any circumstances. The interaction with the staff member is certainly not typical and I will raise this issue with my entire team as a training exercise. Upon reading your comments I have checked every door and each door is now working properly.

I hope you reported your room issues to the front desk so that we may fix everything that is wrong in that room. There is no excuse for a room in that condition should be sold to anyone. This definitely should have reported so that we could have taken care of this problem before selling the room. It would be a great help if you could contact the hotel and let us know what room you stayed in. If f not we will find it and take care of it right away.

Please feel free to contact myself directly if you are travelling to Greenbelt again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay. Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that you give us another chance if you are ever in the area.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Greenbelt

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Arrived at hotel and they did not have our reservation through hotels.com. I showed them my confirmation email and they got right to work. Manager Gary was able to get me check into my 2 rooms quickly. He was very helpful and even followed up after talking to hotels.com. He honored their rate and made life good! Thanks Gary!

The hotel is newer but beautiful inside and out. Our room was just the right size and designed and decorated very nice! The indoor pool was a nice feature for my 7 year old. The snack center was nice, but a little pricey! The place is super clean!

My only issues were temperature in some of the hallways and the slowness of the elevators. They were super slow for a 4 story building. We had rooms on second and third floor do to the reservation mix up. The temperature difference on each hallway was at least 15 degrees. I know its minor, but that's the only thing I could find wrong!

Overall, this place is awesome and if I'm in the area again, I will totally stay here again! Great job Courtyard by Marriott!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a courtyard view or balcony!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
ManagerGB, General Manager at Courtyard Greenbelt, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments. It really means the world to us. It's the only way that we can improve our level of service.

We will look into adjusting the hallway temperatures as well as the speed of the elevators. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

If you are ever in the area again you know exactly where to stay.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel staff was very helpful. We were in town for a family funeral and the front desk staff took care of several special requests. Dionne and Miriam really made a difficult situation better. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerGB, General Manager at Courtyard Greenbelt, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly happy to hear that our associates took great care of you.

Positive or negative feedback only makes us a better team. I will share your comments with the staff and recognize the two associates that you mention. I know both will be very happy that you remembered their names and shared such positive feedback.

Thank you!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I really wanted to rate this hotel 2 1/2. Avoid the shuttle service offered by this hotel. On the first use, I called 30 minutes prior to my arrival at the Greenbelt Metro station, telling them I would need the shuttle upon arrival. After waiting 15 minutes at the metro station, I called the hotel back since no shuttle had arrived, and was told they forgot to send the shuttle. The next day we had the shuttle drop us at NASA. The driver said to call when we were ready to leave, and he would be right back to pick us up. We called and were told that the driver was on lunch and it would be 45 minutes before he would be there to pick us up, which was fine. Everyone needs a lunch break. However, after waiting over an hour we called back. About 20 minutes later the shuttle showed up, and the driver apologized because he was never told we had called. Obviously they have some lack of communications issues. Also, be aware that the shuttle will only go to certain locations, even though they advertise shuttle service within 5 miles. The hotel itself was ok, but not great. Definitely the rooms and hallways are showing their age. The room was small and had very little soundproofing, so we got very little sleep due to loud guests in other rooms and the hallway, and also due to traffic outside. The bed was comfortable. The pool was not the cleanest, however it was decent sized. Be aware that the pool hours are very limited, especially during the week. Also, the hot tub was out of order during our visit over Memorial Day weekend.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank B C
ManagerGB, General Manager at Courtyard Greenbelt, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

First and foremost thank you for your comments. Your feedback is very important us and we take them very seriously.

We apologize for the lapse in service regarding our shuttle service. I ensure you that our website is currently being updated with the locations that our van goes to since the verbiage was causing confusion. We've addressed the communication issues and have also looked into the various other issues that you encountered so that this does not happen again.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed here for 3 night with my family. I have to say I liked the hotel and especially the staff. The rooms are modern looking, the usual good Courtyard standard. There is an indoor pool and jacuzzi that you can use. The pool was appreciated by our 3 years old daughter very much.
We were on a road trip and this was our choice for stopping near Washington D.C. I have to say there are not so many things around except for the Greenbelt Park. We ended up doing a barbecue in the park and there were deers coming very close to us, it was amazing to see them.
If you have business around definitely go there, but if you plan to go to Washington D.C., chose a hotel in the town.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lubor
ManagerGB, General Manager at Courtyard Greenbelt, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us. If you are ever in the area again please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We truly do try to provide the best possible service to all of our guests. It's really appreciated to hear great comments such as yours.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, on a business trip. I stay in hotels often and this, by far, has me impressed. I am in sales, which strives on simply superior customer service. I judge ALL transactions in comparison what I expect of myself and my staff. From the moment I walked through the door, I was greeted kindly. EVERY staff member I came in counter with gave me eye contact and when I was within a certain distance, smiled and spoke. The girls and guys at the front desk were amazing with knowledge of the surrounding area to help me find a place to eat - up to the channel for ESPN to watch the NFL Draft and even attempted to help me change the channel in the Cafe. I watched an employee see a piece of paper on the floor and pick it up as she walked by - this practice of "if you see it needs done, do it" has seemed to go extinct, but not during my experience. I sat at the Cafe and watched the front desk for 30 minutes deal with each other and customers. The professionalism they possessed was remarkable. If my line of work was in this area, I would have tried to recruit some of their employees. The hotel and my room was impeccably clean and modern. The bed linens still smelled like bleach, so you knew they were washed properly. The bed was so comfortable (better than my own). I look for things wrong in a situation; that's my job. The only issue I saw was when I was taking a shower and looked up and a piece of paint was peeling from the ceiling. Big deal - I'm sure they will see this and get it fixed. It is also expensive to eat in the Cafe; however, there food was very good. I'm writing this review, because my business also has reviews and I know people are more likely to complain when they are unhappy, than praise when they are pleased. I would pay the money to stay in a fine hotel like this, because I got more than I expected.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dctrafficsucks
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Nice hotel. Very modern decor. Great staff. Very clean. We were only there 1 night but it was perfect for that. About a mile from the Greenbelt metro station so you don't need to drive into DC. Great jump off hotel to see the city & save a lot of money

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenbelt
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Hampton Inn - College Park
Hampton Inn - College Park
#3 of 12 in College Park
Holiday Inn Express & Suites College Park-University Area

Been to Courtyard Greenbelt? Share your experiences!