“Above-average Courtyard”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Greenbelt
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
“Above-average Courtyard”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The Courtyard Greenbelt was probably once just a middle-of-the-road hotel for those not wanting to pay for a full service Marriott. However, the hotel clearly went to great lengths to update the entire facility and it is now a compelling choice for visiting University of Maryland or Washington D.C. The lobby has Marriott's newest "Bistro" open concept, with individual private "pods" complete with a flat screen TV and remote. The food at the Bistro, though, is average at best and overpriced for what you get. However, they do have some decent "happy hour" drink specials.

As a Marriott Gold member, I was upgraded to a roomy suite, with a wetbar and separate living room and bedroom with two TVs. The furnishings were bright, colorful and modern and the bed was comfortable. The only disappointment was the tiny bathroom.

As seems to be the new trend in the hotel industry, the staff were friendly enough but clearly overwhelmed (only one associate at the check-in desk and one associate at the Bistro). Note to Marriott: if you want to provide excellent customer service, consider more than one staff member during your busy time (during the day, the front desk clerk doubled as the shuttle driver while the manager watched the front).

Overall, though, this was one of the nicest Courtyards I have stayed in for some time.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a suite; you get a lot more room!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MaineBilleboy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Mentone, Alabama
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is a great business motel. They have great amenities. The room was very comfortable with 42 inch TV and the beds provided a great night’s sleep. I was able to book this room by bidding on Priceline for $50 a night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MountainMan1957
, General Manager at Courtyard Greenbelt, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Hello,

Your kind words are truly appreciated! We pride ourselves on providing world class service. If you are ever in the area you know exactly where to stay.

College Station, Texas
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Stayed here one night on a business trip to a nearby government campus. Arrived late, left early but had very friendly staff to check me in and out and a great complimentary shuttle service too. I don't stay in Courtyards very often but this one was nice and the rooms and bathrooms are indeed large sized just like they say on TeeVee! Very clean and comfortable and I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

My only complaint would be the little breakfast bar was understaffed for the customer load. I don't blame the poor ladies trying their best to keep up but someone either called in sick or management wasn't staffing the bistro properly. Still, a very nice simple breakfast once the staff was able to prepare the fresh fruit slices that everyone was ordering.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We booked this hotel based on reviews and because they had a shuttle service to the Metro System. We stayed seven days and were extremely pleased. The staff was exceptional and the rooms were very clean. The shuttle service made our visit so much easier. Traffic in DC is horrid. The only decent way to get around is by Metro. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Bath, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We stayed one night.The hotel was located with easy access to highways to get us to D.C. for our college visit at Georgetown U. We used Priceline to book our room and got it for just under $70 dollars. Hotel was clean and beds were comfortable. Hotel did not have free breakfast which was strange as most Marriott brands do and this was our first stay at a courtyard. This will play into our future stays at Marriott brands. In all we were pleased with this hotel but will find one with free breakfast .

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Wyncote, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night. I loved the lobby and the 24-hour pantry. Check-in was a snap via the extremely kind and professional desk staff. The Marriott Rewards fortune cookie was a nice touch (open it and they award you some sort of prize on the spot. I won a bottled water from the pantry).

The room smelled like mold or mildew, I'm not sure which one it was, but I had already walked 12 miles to get to the room and didn't feel like changing it as we were late to the event we were in town for. When we went to bed, we swore there were fleas in the sheets as we kept itching our legs. I'm sure it was a product of the massive amounts of bleach used on the sheets. (We stripped the sheets down to inspect for critters and saw nothing).

The next morning we woke up to the loudest housekeeper in DC talking in the hallway. Not quite the way you want to rise on a Sunday morning away from your 3 and 5 YO children. I seriously wanted to push her and her cart out into the street.

Room Tip: First, read the reviews. Second, book somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KarlaWT

Travelers are raving about these Greenbelt hotels

Woodford, Virginia, United States
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed there for two nights. The rate per night is highly overpriced. I think we paid for modern furniture / renovation costs. Don't get me wrong, the room was nicely decorated but very small. The bathroom was very small. The mattress was awful, my husband and I both had backaches for two days.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenbelt
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Holiday Inn Express & Suites College Park-University Area
Hampton Inn - College Park
Hampton Inn - College Park
#2 of 11 in College Park

Been to Courtyard Greenbelt? Share your experiences!