“A nice little hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Greenbelt
Reviewed August 8, 2010

The HGI in Greenbelt is a nice little hotel in the City of Greenbelt, MD.

The hotel is cosy and well kept. The hotel staff was very friendly, courteous, and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast is served daily in the cafe in the lobby; all you can eat for $10.95. If you get the weekend getaway option, breakfast is included on Sunday. The food was pretty good. There was complementary high speed Internet access in the room via wireless or Ethernet connection. I was impressed that they use Comcast Business Cable Modem service and not some crappy DSL line like some other hotels. I tested the speed and got about 30Mbps down/10Mbps up, which is pretty good. The bed was very comfortable.

I only have two complaints. First, the water pressure was lousy. To be fair, maybe they curtail the pressure to conserve water. Second, there was no safe in the room.

If you are planning on staying in or around Greenbelt, consider this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheTravelingObserver
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt

Reviewed July 26, 2010

Only stayed one night. Sat at check in for 1.5 hours. My credit card was swiped and a room assigned but room wasn't clean. Came back at 9 pm and they had given my room away and put my asthmatic son and I in a smoking room. No apologies, no other rooms available. Would not recommend due to lack of customer service.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lola1234
Reviewed July 1, 2010

I am a huge fan, in general, of HGI but was disappointed in my stay at this location.

The good parts - very friendly employees! Special mention of Mark, assistant manager - went out of his way to smooth things over and did fix the billing problem. Everyone greeted customers with a smile. Beds were great! HVAC either too hot or too cold - but AC did work. Plenty of hot water, good shower.

Food was tasty and employees delivering room service were personable. But - all three nights, the room service tray was not picked up when I opened door the next morning. Ewwww!

I was misled - told on phone that shuttle service would be available morning and evening, then told at check-in that none available - then saw shuttle pick up patron at same location where I was working! I did get an afternoon ride, but had to pay $15 for cab in AM. I would not have stayed here had I known that ahead of time.

Housekeeping was not up to Hilton standards at all! Housekeeper came by room after I left in morning, picked up generous gratuity and room not done when I returned at 5 PM. Housekeeper who finally did come at 5:30 said she was not the one who picked up tip.
Room carpet needs cleaning or replacement and surfaces were dusty. Bathroom floor was not mopped or even swept.

This place is out in middle of nowhere - nearby TGI Friday's had poor service.
24 hour "Pantry" at HGI had no selection of real food and few decent snack options.

Overall - I would not recommend this property to anyone unless you got it on the cheap. It's dated, dirty and run down. The wonderful attitudes of the staff couldn't make up for the down side. Hopefully, they will find better employment when this location goes out of business.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2010

Stayed here for a few days for a conference at the National Labor College - about 5 miles away, with no hotels very close. Greenbelt is a bit out of the way for DC touring, but still possible, since it's about a 5 minute drive from the Metro station at the end of the green line. Nevertheless, the hotel shuttle was able to provide rides very efficiently in both directions. I view my stay very positively. The staff was uniformly EXTREMELY courteous, helpful, and professional - this applies to all staff that I came across: front desk, housekeeping, restaurant, etc. When I see this type of attitude so broadly, I expect it reflects a conscious effort on the part of the hotel to reinforce this type of 'corportate culture'. I ate at the hotel restaurant a number of times (there are very limited restaurant options within walking distance) - good quality food, and very large portions at a good price. A couple of minor glitches - my Hilton Honors gold status is supposed to entitle me to complimentary breakfast for 2 at HGI's, but this surprised the staff who thought it should be breakfast just for one (but they cheerfully made the change); and my Honors preferences include a room away from an elevator, which usually is accommodated automatically, but I was given the absolute closest room to the elevator and vending machines. Overall, I'd be glad to stay here again if Greenbelt fit into my plans.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank pajo1
Reviewed December 4, 2009

From rude, arrogant staff to pool that was closed most of the time to out-of-the way, inconvenient location - this 'hotel' merits less than 1 star. Not appropriate for business or pleasure, unclean, unpleasant and loud. Stay away if at all possible.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank frequentravelertoo
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Between business and sightseeing I could not have chosen a better location for all my needs. With access to the rail right across the street I was able to incorporate a lot of sightseeing and even a baseball game during my one night stay. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to see DC and doesn't have a lot of time.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2009

First, and foremost, this is a great property. It is conveniently close to several area parks and museums and one would find the general area relatively quiet. Good restaurants are within a few blocks - one is across the street.

What I didn't care for: during breakfast, the morning crew kept circling - uncomfortably so - checking whether I had slipped payment into the ticket jacket. I came away with this feeling that they were reminding me that they would appreciate a tip (gratuity).

Another thing was one room was sealed off by an exterminating company and immense blowers and heaters installed. You could feel the heat coming through the door. Additionally, several thick cables were strewn down the hall, powering this heater and blower. I inquired at the front desk if this was to go on all night and the reply was "I Dough Know." First it was LOUD and second, in an emergency all these cables would be a problem. (As it turns out, the entire heater blower system was removed in the early evening. My point is that the front staff should be aware of major occurrences at their property and possible disruptions to patron comfort.

Rooms to avoid: x14 and x31 as these rooms are at the elevator transom and have the ice machine against one of the walls.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenbelt
Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Hampton Inn - College Park
Hampton Inn - College Park
#3 of 12 in College Park
Holiday Inn Express & Suites College Park-University Area

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt? Share your experiences!