“Decent lunch option”
Review of Chevys Fresh Mex

Chevys Fresh Mex
Ranked #23 of 61 Restaurants in Greenbelt
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: When we think Chevys Fresh Mex, we go to our happy place; fun-lovin’ guests, fajitas & margaritas, and the freshest food, always from scratch. Founded in 1986 in Alameda, California, Chevys is an ultra-casual restaurant concept that offers guests an array of freshly prepared Mexican dishes in a relaxing atmosphere. Similar to other Real Mex restaurants, Chevys prepares its dishes daily from scratch using only the freshest ingredients. Chevys is a national brand with locations in 8 states. Chevys' store base includes 39 Company-owned restaurant locations and 16 franchised restaurants. With more than 25 years of successful operations, Chevys is the most widely recognized Mexican casual dining brand in northern California, and is the second largest Mexican casual dining brand in California in terms of number of restaurants, behind El Torito. Designed to offer a fiesta for the senses, where every experience is fresh, fun and full of flavor, the concept is focused on the execution of its trend-setting Fresh Mex® menu and continuous innovation. Chevys uses a "Fresh Mex®" pledge which underscores the Company's promise that all products are made daily from scratch.
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Went for lunch with a couple of colleagues. One of us had the veggie fajitas, another had the shrimp fajitas and the last had a salad. All were tasty. Of the options in that strip mall, it is probably the bet option.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We met up with some friends of ours for a late dinner before heading back home from our DC vacation. There used to be a Chevy's in Jacksonville, but it closed, so it had been a while since I'd been here.

Upon arrival we were seated right away and the server brough the chips and salsa. Chevy's makes their own chips. They are are thin, warm, and crispy. The salsa is out-of-this world good, which was an unexpected surprise. We could have eaten the chips and salsa all night, and been happy!

I had the fish tacos with black beans and rice. The fish was salmon, which was a nice twist. The portion size was just right for me (that means large).

My only problem was that it took a while to get our food. There were 7 of us, so I can understand why things took a little longer, and I am willing to forgive. Besides, it just gave us more time to catch up with our friends.

All in all, I would definitely recommend it, and would return. I hope they re-open one here in Jacksonville!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I love Chevy's! It's my favorite Mexican restaurant. I was so excited to find that we had a job right next to this location. My excitement stopped there. The place was only 1/3 full on a Saturday, which should have been my first clue, but it wasn't. The place was not as clean as any of the other ones I had been to, the salsa was very chunky, but not a chunky salsa, but more like they didn't prepare it properly. The service was slow, it took forever to get our drinks. The management looked confused. Overall, just not a great experience. I will not stop going to Chevy's, but will definitely stick to the other locations.

2  Thank Cblevins81
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I've enjoyed past visits to Chevys Fresh Mex in Greenbelt. So it was a surprise to go there for lunch today and find the manager I knew had moved on and a new manager was there.

o I arrived at 12:50 p.m. on my lunch hour. The restaurant wasn't even half full, but there was a line. One young lady seemed very frazzled, running back and forth with menus. The other young lady at the counter couldn't tell me anything -- not about the wait, or why there was one. I found out today was her first day there, so okay. Three people ahead of me were looking at their watches and shaking their heads. They finally left without being seated.

o I was seated at 1:00 p.m. at a table with no setup or silverware. The table was by the service doors to the kitchen. Since this was a Mexican restaurant, they were labelled Entrada (Entrance) and Salida (Exit). Nevertheless, I watched staff go through the exit door or come out of the entrance door. I observed some very near misses involving servers with trays of food!

o At 1:15 p.m. I finally flagged down a server with the name "Daniel" on his badge, and asked if he could either find the server for this table or take my order. He took my order, brought my drink and a basket of chips. I took the silverware from the table next to mine or I wouldn't have gotten any. The salsa was fresh and cool. So were the chips. Normally, that wouldn't have been a big deal, but Chevys prides itself on its tortilla maker and boasts of fresh, warm chips. Since they make a point of it, so will I.

o My lunch arrived at 1:30. The quesadilla was fresh and crisp and the filling good and hot. No problems there and my compliments to the chef.

o While eating, the back of my chair was banged by a young lady passing through with a large tub of dirty dishes. I'm glad none of them fell on me.

o The staff was very disorganized and the manager came over to apologize for the state of affairs. It seems he is new to the job, too.

The food was very good and that is why I'll give this restaurant an Average rating. Perhaps things will smooth out if you give them a month. In the meantime, I would like to compliment "Daniel". He seemed to be the only professional server there. He saw the problem, took me as his customer, came by to inquire if I needed a refill on my drink, asked how the food was, and tried to make amends. However, this place needs to work out a few issues.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

dont get food to go..but if you eat there everything is ok...