“The drive to the top is not worth staying at this hotel.”

The Summit of Gatlinburg
Ranked #47 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed August 29, 2010

The hotel itself is nice. It is more like a very small condo and the room was pretty nice. The pools and hot tub were also pretty nice. However, no matter how nice the rooms were, I won't stay at this hotel again because the drive to the top of the mountain was so long. I just cant believe that it is so far uphill.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bstgolfer1
There are newer reviews for The Summit of Gatlinburg

Reviewed August 23, 2010

We had a great time at the Summit. The 4 mile trip up the mountain was the worst part but worth it when you get to the top and after driving it for a week it isn't as difficult. It took about 12 minutes to drive up/down. It is also very close to Ober Gatlinburg. We stayed in 8102 through travel advantage network TAN. We had amazing views. The unit was nice with pergo floors, granite counter tops and stainless appliances. It was a little bit musty smelling. The kitchen and bathrooms were small.
There was always someone in the clubhouse and they were very helpful with questions we had about things to do in the area. They were also helpful in finding a new way up the mountain.
The pools and hot tubs were very well kept. They were small like other reviewers said but we never had an issue with many other people in the water with us.
It does have a playground but it is less than to be desired, there was one slide and a tire swing.
There were 2 propane grills to use for outdoor grilling, don't forget to bring your grill tools.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank TANTraveler44011
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I have a membership with Tan vacations and stay at a studio condo (That they own) with my wife and two children. Did not want to pay extra for a two bedroom. It was small but we made the best of it. The kitchen was small and dated (The electric stove looked like it was 30 years old. It worked well, but should be replaced with an updated one) The queen bed was comfortable for my wife and me. I brought along a blow up bed for my 10 year old daugther. My 2 year old son slepted on the sofa. (I did not open up the sofa bed) It had a fireplace that we did not use. The balcony was facing the trees. ( Bummer). The best thing in the room was a flat screan TV with a DVD and VHS player. The out door pool was great. The indoor pool was small (And too much chlorine, it burned my eyes), The two indoor hot tubs was wonderful. It even had a sauna. The coin laundry was good. (Do laundry in the mornings!!). It even had a VERY small play ground that my 2 year old injoyed. The good thing about our stay was that it didnt seam to be a lot of people there. You can buy tickets for the attractions at the front desk. The staff was friendly. The drive up was steep and narrow with big drops on the side of the road. I have a RAV 4 with four wheel drive that took those roads with no problem. I wouldn't have been comfortable with a regular car. Its a good place to stay for the money, but would pay more for a 2 bedroom with a view of the mountains. I would actually go back. The mountain views are beautifull!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Sure it looks great with the pictures online and has some spectacular views, but there are many let-downs with this place. Lets start with the smallness of the studio. It barely has enough room for 2 people, the little airconditioner ran constantly and never cooled the place off, and it got hot in the room ! It has a very tiny kitchen that they tell you is fully furnished but it lacks many items. I even had to use a knife to open cans because the furnished electric can opener did not work. I ask the front desk if i could use a charcoal grill and they said yes but not on our balcony I understood so I went out and bought a small grill and grilled some nice steaks out in the parking area. Two nights later i was grilling some chicken and the lady ran out from the office and screamed i have to put the fire out because it is against code. Well i must say that my barbecue chicken was ruined then. They obviously don't have their stories correct in the office. I looked forward to using the sauna, but i was told everyday of our stay that it would be fixed the next day. Tonight is our last night and i told the office that i was dissappointed that the sauna was broken our whole trip. Her response was that it would be fixed tomorrow.... I said in return that we are leaving tomorrow. Very very dissapointed that this place was a total LET-DOWN ! I know now why it was so cheap.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank reremonkey
Reviewed April 4, 2010

This condo is okay. The kitchen is a bit small & rooms are outdated. The view was spectacular. The view is the only thing we mainly stayed here for. The indoor pool is small. If you get at least a dozen people in there, there makes no sense going into the pool. My dad complained about the chlorine. It burnt his eyes. So did mine. There are no elevators, and it was a haul carrying up luggage. And besides, when you go on vacation, you're not there to stay at the hotel. The price was cheap, but okay. I would recomend this place if you can't find anything else available.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank smokeymountaingirl10
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We booked 3 nights the week after Christmas and loved it so much that we stayed an extra night. Yes, the drive up is tough at night, but well worth it. The property, staff and VIEW were great. This place is not brand new, but is in good shape and a great value for families.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Bamafan5
Reviewed October 19, 2009

This was our 7th or 8th time to stay at The Summit. We love to come here because of the fantastic views and because we love to above the noise and crowds of the city below. This was not, however, our best visit. The room was very musty smelling, very dusty and could have been cleaner. Despite, the dozens of complaints in the Guest Book about the beds in the unit being very noisy and broken (as far back as June of 2008), the beds were still noisy and broken. There was no fitted sheet on the master bed and we woke up every morning on a bare mattress -- GROSS!! The bathroom was TINY. We had to replace lightbulbs when we got there -- two were burned out. Kitchen accessories very outdated and too many odds and ends crammed into the cabinets that are of no use. Clean out the cabinets and leave room for guests to bring in food. If we had not expected for the room to be fine like all of our previous trips and hadn't already unpacked without fully looking around we would have requested another unit altogether. #6207 needs some attention. Shame, though, because the view of Mt. LeConte from this unit is beautiful!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family