“Not Impressed, Old building. Staff is missing attention to detail.”
Review of Reagan Resorts Inn

Reagan Resorts Inn
Ranked #43 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Gastonia, North Carolina
“Not Impressed, Old building. Staff is missing attention to detail.”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have found that it is difficult to judge a location based on the reviews of other guests. Take for instance Reagan Resorts Inn. The pictures look great, but the "feel" of the place is just a bit off. It is definitely an older location and you can tell that they try and keep it up...but they are not doing that great of a job.

(+) Let's start with the location. It is right beside of the convention center and across from some good restaurants. It is not necessarily in the heart of downtown, but a 5-10 min walk will get you there. It is probably better where it is as it is most likely a little less noisy. (Don't get me wrong though, it is still very much a downtown Gatlinburg hotel)

(-) Moving on to the exterior of the hotel. The front desk is separate from the hotel itself and appears typical. Nothing fancy, but not run-down or dirty. The entrance (elevator lobby if you will) to the hotel is bad. It smells, isn't very clean or well-kept, isn't very cool and is right next to the housekeeping laundry room. It is just not a very appealing place to stand and wait for an elevator.

There are simple things they could do to improve this area. A pressure washer, some air freshener, a new AC unit and simply having the housekeeping staff keep the door closed to the laundry area while they are working. People don't want to see that crap when they are on vacation.

If their could be one resounding thought that keeps going through my mind that I would want to tell the owners of this place, it would be this: "The hotel experience for a guest should be much like sausage. Guests want to have a nice stay (eat the sausage) but do not want to interact with the maintenance or housekeeping processes (see you making the sausage)." This will make sense and you will probably agree if you stay at this hotel.

The same can be said about the corridors / hallways. These areas just aren't kept up very well and the housekeeping room doors are always open. And I should mention that these rooms look horrible. They are simply nasty. Not a place that I would ever want my "Cleaning" crew to operate out of. I was afraid to even walk into this room (3rd floor specifically) because it was so dirty. (I typically don't care btw, but it was bad)

(-) Next, if you have kids, getting your stuff to the room is very difficult as the baggage carts are never there. I was at this place for 3 days and I swear I only saw 1 once. Very frustrating. The front desk clerk said they had one for each floor and that guests were probably using them in their rooms. There has to be a better way in my opinion.

(+) The room that we were staying in (Rm 307) was small, but it appeared to have been recently renovated. There was tile floor and a nice bathroom. There was a minifridge, but no microwave. It also had a balcony that overlooked the pool, but it was not in the best shape.

The room looked and smelled clean. We really didn't have anything to complain about with regards to room cleanliness until:

(-) The A/C stopped working. Not I can't put this on the hotel as they can't control much of these things. They eventually got it fixed and we were happy.

(-) The floor turned my wife's feet black. Yep, walking across the carpet turned her feet black. It doesn't appear that the carpet was refurbished with the rest of the room. The guy that fixed our AC said specifically "Don't put your baby on the floor" since we had an infant. This was before we knew about the disgusting carpet, but it make sense now.

(-) Breakfast was scarce; they did have the waffles that you could make yourself, but it was bad.

OVERALL: I would NOT recommend this hotel until changes were made. There are some positives, but I believe that the negatives outweigh the positives. The overall "feel" of the hotel needs to improve and that requires conscious thought by the owners and managers.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel.
3 Thank laziboie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here just recently at the staff was so nice at check in and out. The room was in good condition however the deck was locked so we couldn't go out on it. That was odd but not a big deal. The pool needs some updating as it is looking a little outdated with chips, etc but overall the hotel was great. The maid service was great with daily leaving us plenty of supplies if we didn't need service that day. Breakfast staff was so nice and the food was a good quick breakfast before starting our day. Locatoin is key!! That is the best part. Will def be back.

2 Thank Kerri P
Lexington, KY
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I had been a little hesitant after reading some of the reviews, but the hotel was fine and the positive reviews very accurate.

Pros: Location! This was directly on the strip next to the convention center and just at the edge of the main shops and excitement. It was a perfect combination as we were right in the excitement yet in a quiet location. I had the room closest to the street, but noise was not a factor at all. Our room was very clean and we had everything we needed. There was an iron, refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker, all of which were a plus. For breakfast, there is a Flapjack Pancake house next door and many other restaurants within a one minute walk out the front door. Wi-fi was also a bonus. It appears that they are updating the hotel a little at a time, so the bedding and some other features were new. The room was also much larger than standards rooms in newer places, and we had the smallest offered. The staff was also very kind and helpful, and we felt safe at all times.

Cons: Some of the furnishings (bathroom vanities and doors) are dated, but no more so than the average Holiday Inn or Days Inn. (I would compare it to the level of both). The balconies do not truly have any view that I could see, but they do allow you to grab some fresh air. If you are looking to people watch from your room, try one of their other properties. These are not luxury rooms, but the hotel is among the best of its class. The two and a half star rating is accurate for the accommodations and amenities, but the majority of hotels (even the larger chains) in Gatlinburg are in the same class.

Tip: I booked through Expedia to get a great price, but the manager offered to match the best online rates in the future if we call the hotel directly. Note that they also have a variety of room types to suite all needs beyond a standard hotel room. They also work with their other properties to help find space if they are full.

Room Tip: Although far less noisy than the average hotel, first floor rooms are directly above the parking gar...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank kyteach00
Salyersville Ky
Reviewed July 7, 2012

After reading all these reviews, I must say I was not sure what I was going to walk into. I had stayed here about 8 or 9 yrs. ago, But I have always stayed at the Reagan Hotels always at Smokyland but it was booked. So we went ahead and booked this one. And to my suprise I was shocked at how big the rooms was and how clean it was. They have remodled the rooms & As far as te house keepers we they was great really nice and go out of the way to help you. I would stay here again. It is an older motel but it is very nice location & clean & up to date rooms.

1 Thank Vonda B
Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

This is a must stay for anyone coming to visit Gatlinburg for a weekend or a week. The staff is truly professional and extremely helpful and friendly. John and Linda along with the entire staff bring southern charm to Gatlinburg.
The Reagan Resort Inn is conveniently located on the upper end of town. Perfect location to restaurants, shopping, and Ober Gatlinburg. The park is a hike away trails horseback riding or Cases Cove.
The rooms are great relaxing and calming after a day on town perfect just to come back and sit on private balconies. The balconies overlook the pool which is private in back of Inn.
This is my Smiley Mountain Oasis quite and yet very convenient to all Gatlinburg has to offer on business or pleasure. There are more expensive and less convenient hotels in town the Reagan Resort Inn is the southern charm in Gatlinburg.

Thomas L.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank tlevay
Gadsden, Alabama
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed here this weekend and had a lot of fun. The rooms here were awesome and very spacious. The pool was a welcome site after walking in the heat all day. We will be back again very soon. You just can't beat the rates and the value was definitely there.

Room Tip: Ask for the Kelly Reagan suit
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Allison B
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed May 22, 2012

The front desk was really so helpful. I spoke with John at length and he helped us plan out our entire weekend. We walked to the convention center for our meeting in less than 5 minutes every morning and by the time our meetings were over we were ready to tour the Gatlinburg area. We went to Cherokee Grill after speaking at length with John and just like he said the food was fabulous! We have never had such a fun weekend and we will be back again very soon. The hotel rooms were very large and modern, nothing too fancy but more than what we expected. The halls were very large and well lighted, the elevator was easy to get too from the parking area. We walked everywhere and never needed to use our car even once after we arrived. We have stayed in Gatlinburg many times and we have never had such a clean room, we will be back and very soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business