“wonderful location and friendly folks!”

Rocky Waters Motor Inn
Ranked #49 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed April 26, 2014

The rooms are located overlooking a fast flowing water /river. Each room has a private balcony and beds that where very inviting. The first two nights we simple had a room to sleep in , but after finding it so nice we decided to upgrade to a room with a gacusey bath and fire place. After fun filled days in town and at the national park for a hick , we where very blessed to come back to the room for a relaxing soak in the tub and a crackiln fire. It was wonderful! Parking costs $5 , $6 , and $8 in the town down the strip , but the events are within walking distance from the motel with a little planning.

Room Tip: The breakfast is located in the sister hotel which is just down the street , so it did require leavi...
1  Thank Anngelaawashere

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

I had heard great things about this place from people who stayed here over twenty years ago. The view of the river from the balcony is terrific and I liked the layout of the room. However, during our stay (over five days) the custodial staff only cleaned our room twice. We had to get extra towels, soap, coffee and other things from the indifferent manager. Only on the final day did the toilet get fixed correctly. We left earlier than planned and will not be back. The room was very noisy at night because it is on the main road into town. As a light sleeper, this was a big problem for me as well.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Anne A
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Sweet little motel with an amazing view!!!!! We absolutely loved this place..it was very clean and the staff was so friendly...this is our second time staying here and they have made nice updates to the rooms and the big jaccuzi is always nice...would def recommend to anyone for the price...

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 5, 2014

So let me start off this review with this: I thought for sure it was going to be sketchy when we checked in. I was so scared i didn't even put my credit card on file. Toll free number? Sometimes no one would answer the phone. Just an all around sketch hotel, i for sure had a backup plan in case this had fallen through which we were counting on.

So fast froward to check in, the owners son was at the front desk for check in, he was so friendly and accommodating, Before i paid for the room i asked him to see it, he said absolutely no problem and gave us the key. now if you have ever seen hotel impossible, picture me turning the room over just how he does. We turned that room apart looking for even a hair and we found NOTHING. There were a few things that need to be updated in the hotel, but ill get to that in a minute; SO anyways, needless to say that we had a great freakin stay. The maid service only came once the whole 5 days we were there, ONLY because they do the room cleanings pretty freakin' early, we slept until about 12 everyday, but the part i absolutely loved was how they put a bag on our outside door handle with towels, coffee, cups and wash clothes.

Me and my Boyfriend called the front desk a few times, asking for toilet paper, tissue, more towels, etc. They ran right up and gave us whatever we needed. It was a fantastic stay and i would recommend this hotel to ANYONE who asks. We had not one issue to even begin to complain about.

Now, the few things that could use some updating, they ARE in process of updating this hotel, but not much noise or anything doing that. So, the toilet in our room was a bit loose, none the less there was no leaking or anything of the sort. Next, the whole 5 days we only had to turn on the air conditioner once, and it sort of smelled musty like it hadn't been used in a few years, but after we left it running for about an hour it was fine and smelled normally. The microwave does not have an outlet close enough to plug it in, ill post a picture of what we had to do, im sure you'll have a great laugh at it. Last but not least, i actually love this 'fail' as some would call it. The drawers to put your clothes in were a very strong musty smell, BUT, that really does show how up to date they try to make the hotel. Usually a hotel room that's been unused for a long time, long enough to have that musty smell collect in a drawer, would normally be dusty, scummy, etc. But it was the most clean i've ever seen a hotel room to be.

The room does not look how it does in pictures, ill post some up for you guys.

I recommend this room to anyone, we loved it, the balcony we spent countless hours on just relaxing and listening to the creek. Trust me, you do wanna stay here! If you do have any problems, the front desk will attend to everything you need, i promise!

Room Tip: Bring an extension cord for the microwave if your gonna use it!
4  Thank CassieLynn_xoxo
Reviewed April 4, 2014

My girlfriend and I just got back from our vacation in Gatlinburg. We stayed here for 5 days in a second room floor. The check-in was pleasant, we got to check-in early and our room was already ready. Only thing not really cleaned was a couple Gatorade bottles in the fridge, but that wasn't a big deal. Everything else was up to par. All amenities were there as promised. Obviously, my favorite part of the room was the balcony with an absolutely fantastic view of the river. I was shocked when I walked in because the rooms look a lot more up to date than they do in the pictures! Something I don't understand: Why is everyone blasting this place for having bugs in their rooms? I understand the door is a little hard to close but if you get it just right then you won't have that bug problem. My girlfriend and I basically stripped the room and looked for bedbugs, stains, garbage, hair, etc. and only found (like I said) a few Gatorade bottles. Only other problem I had was the toilet being a little wiggly and loose, but NO leaking problems. The convenience of a Marathon gas station right across the street is spectacular. Also, the convenience of always having someone at the front desk, no matter what time of day/night it is, is awesome. They're very accommodating, having no problem giving you refills of things you run out of in your room. It's awesome being right down the street from the main drag, it's only about 6 minutes of a walk. Never used the trolley, but I guess it would be good for people who want to. The breakfast (which is served at the Days Inn) isn't the best but its good for what you pay for (nothing). I would definitely recommend and return to this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
BurkeTia, Manager at Rocky Waters Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your kind words. We are so happy you had a great visit with us! Please come visit us again soon. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

The location cannot be beat. The rooms were clean and the price was amazing! Very friendly staff and great customer service. This is not a luxury hotel though! It's a classic motel in the Smoky Mountains! Would come back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the river. The one above the office is good! Also, try to get a room with a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank natgrin77
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Let me begin by saying we've stayed at Rocky Waters since 1975, when we were there for our honeymoon and have stayed there many times before.. I know this is an older motel, and I'm fine with that. I don't expect the Ritz for the cheap rate we paid, but I do expect clean. Guy on front desk was very nice and even walked with us to the room to make sure it was okay. Once we got settled in, I realized there were cobwebs above our bed and in the windows. It looked and smelled like it hadn't been opened up for a while. Water in commode ran all the time. Faucet in the sink leaked continuously. Room was very tight around sink area and I hesitated to plug in the coffee maker. Went to lobby for coffee, evidently they close the office while breakfast is being served at DI. But the WORST is, when I turned back the sheet the next morning, there was blood on the sheet! Whomever laundered the sheet or put the sheet on the bed should have seen it! I called the front desk (lady was very nice) and told them about the sheet and the commode water. They were both fixed while we were out.
Room had old TV, cigarette burns on the chair, and the sofa had lots of stains on it! Since we had already paid for the 2 nights, we stayed. In all fairness, I just called the manager at RW and warned her I was posting this. She was very apologetic and refunded 1 night's rate. I also told her as I was in the shower before leaving that I looked up and it looked like the ceiling tile was wet. She told me that I basically came at the worst time! They are re-doing some rooms, bathrooms, etc. and in fact since we left on Wednesday they have shut the room we stayed in and the room next door down. They did discover water pipes above them were leaking! Manager also confirmed that the room had not been used in a while, because they were "slow". Please remember this is now a tired-looking budget motel. It's much older than some others. I'm torn as to whether we'd stay there again. If I did, I would ask to see room first before I paid!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for being one of our valued repeat guests. I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to provide so much insight on your recent visit. I am sorry it seems your room was not properly inspected after our off season. Please accept my apologies and know that we will use your comments to improve our inspection process for rooms that have been vacant during off season. We thank you for staying with us and hope to see you during your next visit to the Smokies.