“Perfect Location, Great Deal”
Review of Gatlinburg Inn

Gatlinburg Inn
Ranked #6 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Murphy, North Carolina
“Perfect Location, Great Deal”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

This inn is close to everything to do in Gatlinburg! It is a quaint inn steeped in nostalgia. You even get a "real" room "key"! Lots of great pictures of past celeb guests, including the room where the song Rocky Top was written. Neat, clean and quiet room. Our room had a patio door (2 balcony's, actually) faced the Parkway but was still quiet, which is a really big thing to me! Very comfortable bed. Good breakfast too!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Terri C
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Terri C,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure to host you and your family during your recent stay here in Gatlinburg! We sincerely appreciate you allowing us to be your hotel of choice here in Gatlinburg! I hope that you will come back and see us again real soon!

Gary L. Bailey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I booked this hotel after searching for properties via Tripadvisor Ranking and this was the first one that was available.

Pros:
a. Great location, right in Gatlinburg downtown, next to the sky lift. Walking distance to restaurants
b. Rooms were well maintained. I've stayed in many hotels where I cringe upon looking at the sheets or at the bathroom, but this place was maintained very well. For a change, the towels were white! Upholstery was neat and the shower area and toilet were cleaned very well.
c. Friendly and helpful staff
d. Breakfast was included in the price. Standard breakfast nothing extra-ordinary, but then we're not picky eaters either. So it worked well for us
e. Very historic hotel. Nice pictures and history of the Inn from decades ago makes for a nice reading.

Cons:
a. The lighting in the hallways can be improved. Makes it look a bit dull.

In all, a clean place and a great value for money

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Naradha
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Naradha,
Thank you for your review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! I am glad to see that you were pleased with your stay! We try our very best to make sure that every guests needs are met! I hope that you will come back and see us again real soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn twice now within the past year. The location is perfect for those with kids wanting to be in the middle of town and not having to worry about catching a shuttle or being on the side of a mountain. The minute you walk up, you will most likely be greeted by other guest sitting on the large front porch! The employees are always courteous and knowledgeable, while ALWAYS being available. Yes, the decor is dated however it is extremely clean and fits in with the architecture and surroundings. The free breakfast is excellent and always has enough variety to satisfy my family. If your looking for a place with lots of charm, friendly staff, great centralized location and is family friendly I highly recommend the Gatlinburg Inn.

Room Tip: I have stayed in both the standard King with a balcony and a family suite. The family suite was grea...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Courtney B
Courtney B,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It thrills me to see satisfied customers leave positive feedback for our future guests. We try our very best to make sure that every guests needs are met. Thank you so much for chosing us! I hope that you will come back again and continue to allow us to be your home in the Smokies!

Tullahoma, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed in this hotel recently. I love the history here, looking at all the pictures and thinking about the people who stayed in this place. The outside is very nice and inviting. The roses and the yard is so nice. The front porch, with all the rocking chairs, is such a treat especially to have morning coffee. This hotel has a great location. It is so easy to walk to so many things. The hotel is set back from the road a little bit so it is not quite as noisy as other hotels almost on the sidewalk. I loved walking through the hallways, hearing the floors creak and looking at the old fashioned furniture. All the staff were nice and helpful. Our room was not the best though. Very dated to the point that it was an inconvenience. No alarm clock, not enough electric outlets, very low shower head and low water pressure in the shower, only one bedside table, not a whole lot of places to set things in the room and the bathroom. The breakfast was good, not the best I have ever had at a hotel though. I hate drinking and eating on styrofoam plates and cups. I believe the room rates are on the high side. I know this is Gatlingburg and everything is high but I believe for what you get at the Gatlingburg Inn it is a little overpriced. I would not want the owners to transform this hotel and take away all the history here. I guess if I was going to add my two cents I would say keep all the suites where famous people stayed the same, keep the outdoor area and the lobbies the same. But try to upgrade the regular rooms as much as possible to make them more convenient. Replace the styrofoam plates and cups with at least paper. Some chair pads on the outdoor rocking chairs would be nice too. I would probably come back here but I don't think my husband wants to.

Anthony M,
Thank you for your review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure to host you and your family during your recent stay in Gatlinburg! I am glad to see that you were pleased with your stay. I hope that you and your family will come back and visit us again real soon!

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We booked for our anniversary based on the beautiful pictures and glowing reviews. Here is the "Fox News fair and balanced" review: Pros: 1) Gorgeous setting, lawn, flowers, porch with rocking chairs; 2) Staff are hospitable; 3) The pool is warm, clean, and at the foot of the chair lift so you can watch the riders dangling their feet while you soak in the water and gaze at the mountain. Cons: 1) The rooms resemble a 1950's roadside motel--exposed fire sprinkler pipes over your bed, thin walls allowing you to hear your fellow travelers' coughs, sneezes, and TV, bathroom the size found in old Gulf stations, low shower water pressure, and a coffee pot that did not get cleaned from the previous guests. The room furnishings need to be sent to the nearest Goodwill Store. 2) The complimentary breakfast featured cold, processed scrambled eggs, heat and serve sausages, and canned fruit. My wife found that the "hot" water for her tea, was cold. 3) The front porch is a beautiful morning or evening setting to sit and rock and watch the passing parade on the Parkway. However, just as I began rocking and meditating, a bevy of smokers settled into the other rockers and soon my wife and I started choking up and had to leave. There are also "No Smoking" signs on the balconies, but our "neighbors" were constantly ignoring it and forcing us inside. Combining the high-fat, cold breakfast and the cigarette smoke, this ain't no healthy resort.

My gratitude to the front desk for giving partial credit and graciously apologizing. In all fairness, I overheard many guests loving the nostalgia. My concern, from a marketing standpoint, is that sooner or later, the nostalgia crowd will die off and most people have minimum lodging expectations that are best met at a less expensive, yet more comfortable Hilton Garden Inn or Fairfield. This place could command $250/night if they would gut and remodel the inside, keep the outside nostalgic, and feature a healthy breakfast with home-baked goodies and gourmet coffees. AND...keep the smokers out on the Parkway!

6 Thank Railfan64
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 1, 2014

1937 hotel that has retained its original charm...rooms were reasonably quiet, although the area is very busy and noisy outside. We really couldn't sit in the rockers on front porch or on our balconey due to the noise of airconditioners and grease fans from surrounding buildings. Room was very clean, but the whole building had a slight smell of mildew/damp and was humid...air con cooled but didn't work on the humidity. Staff were very helpful and nice, and breakfast buffet was nice. Good internet access.

Annette W,
Thank you so much for your review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure to host you and your family during your recent stay here in Gatlinburg! I'm pleased to see that my staff took care of you and that our breakfast filled you up! I hope that you and your family will come back and see us again real soon!

Hazel
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed the third weekend in July 2014. It was my husband and I and our two preteen boys. We stayed in rooms 247 and 248. Which is a joining sweet. The boys loved having their own room, own beds, and own tv. And it made it very convenient for us adults! I love vintage/historic/old, so this hotel was right up my ally. You can just feel the history in the place. I don't think much of anything has changed since 1950. (Which to me is a wonderful thing, but if your looking for modern this is not the place for you) Everything in the clean rooms is from decades ago. Except the new flat screen tv's, fridge, microwave and wifi. We enjoyed our balcony very much. The breakfast was good. Wonderful variety, something for everyone. The gentleman at the front desk made us feel right at home and was a wealth of knowledge! Loved the central location, so convenient. I enjoyed the pool as well, clean and always towels on hand. Very nice. Only one compliant. With all our modern device would have liked more than one outlet in the room. Made it alittle hard to charge everyone's things. Really wanted a tour of some of the older rooms but was too shy to ask ;)

• Stayed July 2014
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
JNesbitt1421,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! It was our pleasure to host you and your family during your recent stay here in Gatlinburg! It thrills me to see that you found one of our Family Suites to be exactly what you needed. I'm glad to see that my staff took care of your every need. I believe I have the best staff in the world! They do their best to make sure that all of our guests needs are taken care of. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again real soon!