“Really enjoyed our stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Gatlinburg Inn
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   755 Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN 37738   |
Ranked #5 of 85 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Alabaster, Alabama
“Really enjoyed our stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We have wanted to stay at The Gatlinburg Inn for many years but were never in Gatlinburg when it was open. Now that they are open year round, we were finally able to stay there. As others have said, it is an old property and could use some updating. Beds are comfortable, everything is clean, the bathroom linens are very white and very fluffy, televisions are flat panel and the wifi works well. We did not try the breakfast as we prefer to have breakfast out, but it was great to have coffee, tea and hot chocolate available 24 hours a day. The location is great and within walking distance to everything on the strip. The Gatlinburg Inn is the grande dame and so full of nostalgia and history. It has hosted many celebrities over the years and must have been absolute perfection back in the day. The building itself is beautiful. Everyone we came in contact with who was affiliated with the Inn were wonderful - so friendly and accommodating. The night before we left, my husband and I had a discussion in the lobby about taking a luggage cart to our room for use the next morning. The two people at the desk overheard us talking. I didn't want to take it as I thought someone else might need it during the night nor did I want to walk around it in our room. Next morning, we opened the door to go get a cart and one had magically appeared overnight outside our room. Where else would you get that kind of service? Our only issues with our room was the draperies are not black-out lined and light does come through. I understand this will be a part of the renovations that will be done during the winter months. The building does have an "old" smell. Although it would certainly not keep us from staying there again, I admit it did bother me somewhat. We loved it - we'll be back.

Room Tip: Beautiful view of the strip from room 242.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank parrothead43
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Parrothead43,
Thank you so much for your kind words about your recent stay here at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn. Let me first say that we strive to go over the top with our customer service. I'm not sure who put the cart in front of your room, no one will confess. But that is exactly the kind of customer service this hotel was built on and will continue to exemplify. I am glad to see that you were pleased with your stay and I hope you will come back soon and let us show you what true southern hospitality is.

Gifford, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Positives: The location was perfect! We were able to shop and drop packages off at our car with ease. Also nice to be able to run into our room to go to the restroom. It was clean. Staff were friendly.

Negatives: Seriously, like visiting my great, great grandmothers house. It needs some major remodeling. We heard our neighbors next door coughing at night. There were pipes near the ceiling of our room that weren't covered. The furniture in our room obviously hadn't been replaced or updated since the 1960's. I can't remember the last time I stayed in a room that used and actual key to open the door but that is what you'll get here. Even though our room was clean I felt I didn't want to touch a thing.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Susan S
Susan S,
I am terribly sorry that you weren't completely satisfied with your stay with us here at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn. I am glad that you found our facility to be clean, our staff friendly & helpful, and our location to be prime. We are a historic property and we are proud of our heritage, but we are about to begin some renovations. We will be replacing the carpet in all the rooms as well as taking down the wallpaper and painting the walls. Again I sincerely apologize that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. I hope that you will come back after the renovations are complete and give us another shot at becoming your home in the Smokies.

St Charles MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I made a spur of the moment trip to Gatlinburg and chose the Gatlinburg Inn based on the reviews. I will admit to being a little nervous about all the comments regarding its age. No need! Yes, it was like a step back in time but it was well worth it. They have the absolute best location in town, our room was in perfect, although dated, condition, and the front desk staff extremely welcoming. Our third floor room on the back had a beautiful view of the autumn foliage and the nearby chair lift. We opened our sliding door and with the fresh mountain air and comfortable bed, we slept very well. The night before we had stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. This was half the price and twice the personality. Would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kathleen B
Kathleen B,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! I'm glad to see that your every need was accomodated! You are not alone in mentioning the prime location of this historical gem. I think her location is one of her finest selling points. I appreciate your kind words about our staff. I'm very proud of the staff that we have in place. Each one of them tries their hardest to make sure that your every need is attended to. To them this is more than a job. I hope you will come back some time soon and let us have the privilege of hosting you and your family again!

London, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My family stayed here this past weekend and had a wonderful time.
Hotel was very clean, and great location. Good price
very friendly staff.
Nice size rooms.
Not only will I recomend this hotel to friends and family
I will stay here again Next visit.

the thompson family (family with little girl running around with pig hat) lol
:))

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
jthompson339,
Thank you for your wonderful review to the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! And yes, I do remember the cute little girl in the piggy hat! It was so nice to have you guys stay with us! I'm glad to see that your every need was accomodated! We can't wait for you guys to come back and see us!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The location was very good for walking both up and down the strip to see and do things during our stay. Staff were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed both the front porch rockers and the quaint lobby as a place to sit and experience more of what the inn had to offer. The building is old and smelled old. I did not find the old smell offensive.
The rooms needed some updating
They were clean. The carpet seemed to be from the 70s -- very outdated. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom also needs updating. There was a vent that let light on from the adjoining room but limited to just light. The shower had a glass door making it awkward to turn on the water with the toilet next to the facet end of the shower. The tub had a sloop in the back. Both my husband and I slipped a bit getting in the first time. The toilet paper was situated next to the tank and hard to reach. The room walls were thin and we could hear talking next door. The curtains did not block out the lights from the back of the building.
Breakfast could have been better. Same offerings each day and one morning the breakfast bar ran out of milk and someone had to run to the store to fetch some while we waited.
Free wifi was nice.
Free parking was a plus.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had several fun conversations with them. Their manners made me feel they would do anything to make our stay comfortable -- within their power. They made our stay very enjoyable even with some of the issues with the room. Updating the rooms would probably fix most the inconveniences we experienced. Although I don't know how they could solve the issues with the thin walls.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank annrein
annrein,
Thank you for your review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! We do appreciate you choosing us as your hotel on your recent vacation to Gatlinburg. I am glad to see that you found the Inn to be both pleasant and accomodating. As I'm sure you were told by our staff we are beginning renovations in January. Those will include replacing the carpet, removing the wallpaper, painting, and some other minor improvements in the room. I hope that you will come again and allow us to be your home in the Smokies!

Nashville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I read all these great reviews thinking this would be perfect for a couple of nights of solo business travel; I was wrong! I have no problems with older hotels looking their age but they should definitely not smell their age! The smell was so bad it was nauseating. Once you get past that you get to the door to your room and it is simply a wood door you would find inside a home; was a huge safety concern for me since I was alone. Then to top this off the walls are so paper thin I heard everything the obnoxcious people next to me were saying while they were up carrying on til 3am! I have stayed at bad places and can usually get over it if it is just me, but this time I couldn't; I cut my stay there short and booked another hotel for the second night. I also do not think it was as clean as everyone is making it out to be, there was rust and what looked to be mold in my bathroom. I would never take children to this place because of cleanliness and the major safety concern with the doors. That being said I would not return, but the staff was friendly.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Momma2A_n_D
Momma2A_n_D,
I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay here at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn. Seeing as this is a 76 year old building, some things come with age. As I am sure you were told by our staff, we are beginning some renovations in January that will address some of the issues you mentioned. We will be replacing the carpeting in all the rooms as well as taking down the wallpaper, painting, and changing the doors. I hope that you pointed these issues out to one of our staff memebers so that the issues could be rectified. I sincerely hope that you will not let this experience stop you from coming back and giving us another chance to prove that we are the hotel that we strive to be.

I Sincerely Apologize,
Kissimmee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed at the Gatlinburg Inn the last week of October. It is an old hotel with lots of character. The front desk clerks were super helpful. The room was all wood panel facing the front parking lot. We had a balcony with two rocking chairs. Even though there was lots going on in town, the room was quiet. We slept well.

The entrance to the Smokey Mountains is down the street from the hotel. The leaves were changing color and the drive through the Smokeys was beautiful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EMMNov2013
EMMNov2013,
Thank you for your beautiful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! I must agree. The changing of the leaves this year was extraordinary! I am pleased to see that you were satisfied with your stay! I hope you will come back again in the near future and let us host you and your family again!