“Cozy and a bargain”
Review of Gatlinburg Inn

Gatlinburg Inn
Ranked #7 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I made a spur of the moment trip to Gatlinburg and chose the Gatlinburg Inn based on the reviews. I will admit to being a little nervous about all the comments regarding its age. No need! Yes, it was like a step back in time but it was well worth it. They have the absolute best location in town, our room was in perfect, although dated, condition, and the front desk staff extremely welcoming. Our third floor room on the back had a beautiful view of the autumn foliage and the nearby chair lift. We opened our sliding door and with the fresh mountain air and comfortable bed, we slept very well. The night before we had stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. This was half the price and twice the personality. Would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kathleen B
Gary B, General Manager at Gatlinburg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Kathleen B,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! I'm glad to see that your every need was accomodated! You are not alone in mentioning the prime location of this historical gem. I think her location is one of her finest selling points. I appreciate your kind words about our staff. I'm very proud of the staff that we have in place. Each one of them tries their hardest to make sure that your every need is attended to. To them this is more than a job. I hope you will come back some time soon and let us have the privilege of hosting you and your family again!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

My family stayed here this past weekend and had a wonderful time.
Hotel was very clean, and great location. Good price
very friendly staff.
Nice size rooms.
Not only will I recomend this hotel to friends and family
I will stay here again Next visit.

the thompson family (family with little girl running around with pig hat) lol
:))

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

jthompson339,
Thank you for your wonderful review to the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! And yes, I do remember the cute little girl in the piggy hat! It was so nice to have you guys stay with us! I'm glad to see that your every need was accomodated! We can't wait for you guys to come back and see us!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

The location was very good for walking both up and down the strip to see and do things during our stay. Staff were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed both the front porch rockers and the quaint lobby as a place to sit and experience more of what the inn had to offer. The building is old and smelled old. I did not find the old smell offensive.
The rooms needed some updating
They were clean. The carpet seemed to be from the 70s -- very outdated. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom also needs updating. There was a vent that let light on from the adjoining room but limited to just light. The shower had a glass door making it awkward to turn on the water with the toilet next to the facet end of the shower. The tub had a sloop in the back. Both my husband and I slipped a bit getting in the first time. The toilet paper was situated next to the tank and hard to reach. The room walls were thin and we could hear talking next door. The curtains did not block out the lights from the back of the building.
Breakfast could have been better. Same offerings each day and one morning the breakfast bar ran out of milk and someone had to run to the store to fetch some while we waited.
Free wifi was nice.
Free parking was a plus.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had several fun conversations with them. Their manners made me feel they would do anything to make our stay comfortable -- within their power. They made our stay very enjoyable even with some of the issues with the room. Updating the rooms would probably fix most the inconveniences we experienced. Although I don't know how they could solve the issues with the thin walls.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank annrein

annrein,
Thank you for your review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! We do appreciate you choosing us as your hotel on your recent vacation to Gatlinburg. I am glad to see that you found the Inn to be both pleasant and accomodating. As I'm sure you were told by our staff we are beginning renovations in January. Those will include replacing the carpet, removing the wallpaper, painting, and some other minor improvements in the room. I hope that you will come again and allow us to be your home in the Smokies!

Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I read all these great reviews thinking this would be perfect for a couple of nights of solo business travel; I was wrong! I have no problems with older hotels looking their age but they should definitely not smell their age! The smell was so bad it was nauseating. Once you get past that you get to the door to your room and it is simply a wood door you would find inside a home; was a huge safety concern for me since I was alone. Then to top this off the walls are so paper thin I heard everything the obnoxcious people next to me were saying while they were up carrying on til 3am! I have stayed at bad places and can usually get over it if it is just me, but this time I couldn't; I cut my stay there short and booked another hotel for the second night. I also do not think it was as clean as everyone is making it out to be, there was rust and what looked to be mold in my bathroom. I would never take children to this place because of cleanliness and the major safety concern with the doors. That being said I would not return, but the staff was friendly.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Momma2A_n_D

Momma2A_n_D,
I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay here at the Historic Gatlinburg Inn. Seeing as this is a 76 year old building, some things come with age. As I am sure you were told by our staff, we are beginning some renovations in January that will address some of the issues you mentioned. We will be replacing the carpeting in all the rooms as well as taking down the wallpaper, painting, and changing the doors. I hope that you pointed these issues out to one of our staff memebers so that the issues could be rectified. I sincerely hope that you will not let this experience stop you from coming back and giving us another chance to prove that we are the hotel that we strive to be.

I Sincerely Apologize,

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed at the Gatlinburg Inn the last week of October. It is an old hotel with lots of character. The front desk clerks were super helpful. The room was all wood panel facing the front parking lot. We had a balcony with two rocking chairs. Even though there was lots going on in town, the room was quiet. We slept well.

The entrance to the Smokey Mountains is down the street from the hotel. The leaves were changing color and the drive through the Smokeys was beautiful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EMMNov2013

EMMNov2013,
Thank you for your beautiful review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! I must agree. The changing of the leaves this year was extraordinary! I am pleased to see that you were satisfied with your stay! I hope you will come back again in the near future and let us host you and your family again!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed 5 nights here abd booked based on reviews found here.I was very happy with my stay. I had a King room with sofa. My room faced the rear of the building. There was a nice balcony with two rocking chairs which provided a view of the chair lift located adjacent to the hotel and is lighted at night offering a great view. The room was large and included a nice desk-make up area and large 40 in flat screen TV.Half the room is covered in high quality maple wood paneling and the other half in old world wall paper with pictures and little sayings hung around the room. The bed was very comfortable.However,It needs bigger and plusher pillows as the ones provided are small and like pancakes. I recommend requesting extra pillows or bringing your own if possible. Furthermore, the drapes are not the black out type commonly found in most hotels but instead a tightly woven sheer type which doesnot block out the sun light in the morning nor the porch lights around the resort which remain on all night. There is a limited amount of electrical outlets in the room. which makes charging things challenging when you want to use several things at once. The carpet in the room is 70ish multi color print in could shape but needs updating.The bath room is decent size and offered plenty of light and room but is need of updating. The shower head to mounted too low on the wall and requires anyone more then 5ft to bend over to wash your hair and rinse off. Also the wall paper is coming loose in the seems and begining to peel, The tolet paper holder is mounted against the same wall as the tolet which is akward. i also noticed the walls are then and you can here others in there rooms. There is renovation scheduled for early next yr which will update the lobby and rooms and should address most of these issues.
Overall the hotel is charming,warm, and inviting. The employees were welcoming and always had a smile and said hello.The lobby and front porch always had guests relaxing chating with friends,having coffee etc. So when you return from a day out it was like returning home. Location is about halfway on the parkway making most attractions and resturants within walking distance to most attractions. Parking can be a real issue so this is important and even the parking at the resort can become full. I was pleasently surprised however afer returning one evening to find a hotel employee assiting with parking and directed us to the back of the building where there was additional parking and even helped us back out the next morning. A free Continental breakfest is served every morning till 10am. i would stay here again without a doubt. There is renovation scheduled for early next yr which will update the lobby and rooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank LOST_N_TRAVEL007

LOST_IN_TRAVEL007,
Thank you so much for your informative review of the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! First off let me say that I am glad to see that my staff met your every need. I will pass your gratitued along. We are set to begin the reservation in January. We will doing some major updates to the room, including replacing the carpet. We look forward to your return after the renovations, and I hope you like the updates!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

This is an old historical Inn. You have to be aware of that fact and choose accordingly. There are no frills, thrills or extras. Now having cleared the air, the service, cleanliness, price and location coupled with free parking was priceless. This Inn has to be a little known secret. Its location on the parkway is convienant to all the shops and restaurants. Most of the guests are seniors so the place is very quiet. This was my first visit but will not be my last!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank vjbmercy

vjbmercy,
Thank you for letting the secret out about the Historic Gatlinburg Inn! I appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to tell the world of the wonderful service you recieved while staying here at this historical gem! I hope that you will come back in the near future and let us host you and your family again!

Gary Bailey