“a mountain getaway”

Ranked #19 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“a mountain getaway”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

we have never been to Gatlinburg and this hotel was in an excellent location within walking distance to everything on the parkway. The staff was wonderful and very helpful with any questions. The hotel does not have a restaurant but a wonderful complementary continental breakfast. Parking is a covered secure parking garage. The swimming pool is an indoor/outdoor swim under wall and 2 whirlpools but the only complaint would be the whirlpool water was not very hot and the jets were not very powerful. We enjoyed our stay and would consider coming back.

Room Tip: we wanted a room on the back facing the mountain for quiet and privacy on the balcony, the rooms fac...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
joann001, Front Office Manager at The Edgewater Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank you choosing the Edgewater for your recent stay. I appreciate your comments and will double check the temperature in the hot tubs. We look forward to another opportunity to host you on a future visit to Gatlinburg.
Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Polish first
Michigan
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We love The Edgewater! We stay here every time we visit the Gatlinburg area. Our rooms are always clean, and the staff is very helpful with all your needs. It's within walking distance to the Parkway, and the trolley stop is right down the street. I will agree it's a little "tired" and needs some updating. But the location and cleanliness makes up for it. We use the pool and hot tubs every night, and it was never busy. The breakfast is just enough to start your day. When we visit we park our car and walk or use the trolley system. The city view rooms are the best!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gramkim
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. We appreciate your continued patronage and look forward to seeing you again when travel plans bring you back to the Great Smoky Mountains and Gatlinburg.
Forsyth, Illinois
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Stayed here in April 2014. The room was nice and very clean. Stayed on the front side, city view much better than on the back side which was right up against the mountain. Had a king size room very spacious. It had a little balcony with a great view of the city and the mountains. Also could hear the water below. Was within walking distance from the main strip. No need to get car out of parking garage if that's where you want to spend your day. Plenty of things to do on the main strip. Breakfast was good. The front desk was very nice and helpful with any questions I had. The only thing I can complain about was every time someone came in or out of their rooms, the doors would slam shut was very loud. That would not keep us from staying here again. Didn't get to use the pool area but did go down to see it and looked very nice. If it was warmer we would have used it. We really enjoyed staying at this hotel and definitely will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your April stay. I'm glad your stay was pleasant and appreciate your positive comments.
We look forward to hosting your stay in the future when you are back in the Gatlinburg area.
Best Regards
Nashville
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Not bad, not great. It is okay if you just want a place to sleep and shower. The rooms need updating and if you are on the back of the hotel view is not good. Location is pretty good and staff was friendly.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Momma2A_n_D
joann001, Front Office Manager at The Edgewater Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Edgewater during your recent visit to Gatlinburg. We appreciate your comments and hope to again host you when travel plans bring you back to Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains.
North Webster, Indiana
Reviewed May 6, 2014

The Edgewater Hotel was such a pleasant surprise with the friendliest people! My new wife and I were looking for a place to spend our honeymoon. We only had a few days to spend together due to our busy schedules and we wanted to spend them in one of our favorite cities, Gatlinburg. Quite honestly, we chose The Edgewater for it's location, right in the heart of the town withing walking distance to all of our favorite shops. However, we were so impressed with the hospitality we received from the staff at the Edgewater. I had done some searching online for best room rates and actually found rates slightly cheaper via Expedia than through the hotel's own site. However, my goal wasn't so much to save money as to book a honeymoon package for my wife and I. Unfortunately, there were no honeymoon packages available through the hotel so I booked through Expedia. When I did the booking I left a small note at the bottom explaining that this was our honeymoon. To our delight, the hotel had not only noticed my note upon booking, they actually went out of their way to upgrade us to a top story fireplace room with a king bed and had a welcome card for my new wife and I on the bed. To top things off, they even had two bottles of champagne and complementary wine glasses for us to keep, waiting for us in our mini-fridge. They were also so helpful with many other questions and requests we had during the week. One of the newly renovated areas is the lobby where they have the complimentary breakfast. There were no eggs on the buffet, but biscuits & gravy, sausage, fresh waffles, cereal, yogurt, and danishes were standard all three days we were there. I would recommend getting to breakfast well before the end time. My first day there I slept in and tried to catch the breakfast about 15 minutes before closing but didn't find it very fresh or replenished at that time. Of course, if worse comes to worse, you're only about two blocks away from one of the best breakfast restaurants in town, "the pancake pantry." Overall the hotel shows some age but they are in the process of making renovations and the new areas are beautifully finished. I can't wait to see what this hotel looks like in a few months when all the updates are complete. I am quite sure my wife and I will be back!

Room Tip: Street side is right on river road, basically overlooking the town but has a view of the back of man...
1 Thank Kenneth333
Thank you for taking the time to reveiw your stay at the Edgewater. Congratulations on your wedding and I am glad you and your wife had a lovely time while here on your honeymoon. Your comments are appreciated and we look forward to hosting you again when you are next in the Gatlinburg area.
Georgetown, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a trip to the smokies for my 30th birthday. We have always wanted to stay here because it came highly recommended to us. I am not sure it lived up to the hype. I found some of the areas to be dated, the hotel staff was not thr friendliest. Our rooms view was pretty poor. The pool area was nice, the room was okay for our stay, nothing special. It is in a pretty convenient area to everything. You could hear people slamming doors all hours of the night so that was a little irritating and made it hard to sleep. I don't know if I would stay again. I have stayed in nicer hotels in town and paid less.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Travelgirl0321
joann001, Front Office Manager at The Edgewater Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Edgewater. I appreciate the honesty in your comments and I hope that you will consider choosing us again when travel plans bring you back to the Smoky Mountains and Gatlinburg.
Upper Falls, West Virginia
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Stayed one night in Gatlinburg and wanted something within walking distance to the shops downtown. This hotel was perfect - very centrally located. The hotel was nice enough - it met our needs for one night. The lobby was nice and the rooms were clean and furnished nicely. Our room looked over the pool area -- not much view, but it was no problem. The parking garage was a little tight for our liking, but we were thankful to have free parking downtown. The garage was not crowded, so that was a plus -- you could keep one empty space between you and the next car. Breakfast the next morning was fine - sausage biscuits, hard boiled eggs, cereal, toast, apples, juice, coffee. It was not a 5-star breakfast, but it was adequate. I picked this hotel for its location and it did not disappoint. I probably would not want to stay here more than one night. It was fine and the staff was friendly.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor. There was no outside noise. Elevator was a little slow - but not bad at...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
joann001, Front Office Manager at The Edgewater Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you reviewing your recent stay at the Edgewater. I'm glad our location was convenient for your downtown needs. It is nice to not have to drive once you're in Gatlinburg. I hope you will consider us again when travel plans bring you back to the Gatlinburg area.