“Very Nice!”

The Edgewater Hotel
Ranked #18 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed October 22, 2007

After reading all the bad reviews I thought I should set some things straight. This hotel is quite nice and in a great location! The rooms are not the greatest rooms I have ever stayed in, but definitely not the worst. They were clean and a nice size.

We stayed in a river view room on the 7th floor and had a really great view of the mountains and were able to see some of downtown Gatlinburg. Our 2 boys (12 and 9) loved the indoor/outdoor pool and the hot tubs. There were always plenty of clean towels at the pool area which was nice.

The breakfast was just average, but not bad. The hotel staff was very friendly and the maid service did a very nice job.

Overall I would stay at this hotel again. It is in a great location and you can walk everywhere in town. It is just a nice place to stay - nothing fancy, but clean and great location!

1  Thank klk1922
Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed October 18, 2007

My family of 4 (2 adults + 2 kids) stayed here for 2 nights and had a great stay. We booked on hotels.com and got a cheaper rate than directly through the hotel's website. The room was nice, roomy and very clean. I mean a normal average sized hotel room. We took full advantage of the free continental breakfast each morning. Normal things we eat -cereal, toast, pancakes, waffles, bagles, muffins, juice, coffee, milk. It saved us $20-$30 each day. The front desk clerk was very nice and offered to get us anything that we needed. Our room was on the 5th floor on the backside of the hotel. We looked out to the mountain, which was fine, we didn't spend any time on the balcony looking out. This hotel is on River Rd, which is easily within walking distance of most everything in Gatlinburg, even with 2 small kids and no stroller! The pool & hot tub were both clean and they do provide towels for you. After reading all the reviews about their parking garage I was anxious to see it. It was totally fine. Just like any other parking garage that I've been in. We didn't have any trouble parking my new Camry inside, and we saw plenty of vans and full-sized SUV's in there too. We also enjoyed wading in the creek that runs in front of the hotel, although we did find a snake in the water!! Just a little more excitement to our trip. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

1  Thank jonesalc
Reviewed October 17, 2007

If you are looking for a great place to stay in Gatlinburg and want a quiet location that is still close to everything, then the Edgewater is the place for you.

My family and I booked on of the family suites on the 8th floor facing the river and Gatlinburg. The suite is actually two adjoining rooms with one of the rooms set up as a living room with a couch, chair and a small dining table. The other room had two double beds. Both rooms had fireplaces and televisions. One of the best things about the suite was the two bathrooms. We also loved the awesome views. Whether day or night, there is always an incredible sight to see.

The 8th floor is the smoking floor and I was a little nervous that the smell would be too strong. The hallways were a little stale and smoky smelling but the rooms that we had didn't smell at all. (We were in 817 & 819.)

The staff was very friendly. ( We didn't have much need to interact with them, but when we did they were nice.) The free breakfast was good and consisted of cereal, doughnuts, muffins and juices. There were also pancakes, waffles, bagles and toast that you had to prepare yourself. Microwaves and toasters were provided. Butter, jellies and syrup were also provided.

My daughter would like to add that the pool and hot tub area is awesome.

All in all, we had a wonderful experience during our stay here and will definetly stay again.

I have a picture of the living room of the suite and of the hotel pool and exterior if you would like for me to email it to you.

3  Thank Mubadub
Reviewed October 16, 2007

Pros-
great location, friendly staff, clean rooms, free parking, yummy free breakfast

Cons-
PARKING GARAGE!!!!! I drive a Ford Expedition and I must say that it took us about 10 minutes to get that baby in a parking spot. SUV owners...If you don't want to go threw that hassle just arrive mid-day, when there are plenty of parking spots for you to choose from.
Elevator- The elevator was extreamly slow. It was programed to stop at every floor even when there was nobody there.

Overrall this was a very good place to stay at and I wouldn't mind staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2007
4  Thank GeorgiaGir1
Reviewed October 11, 2007

Pros:
-Great location! Almost everything in Gatlinburg is within walking distance of this hotel.

- Helpful staff. Staff checked us in promptly and was very professional.

- Cleanliness. Unlike experiences that some travelers have posted here, our room was clean and neat. Our room was plain....but clean.

- Breakfast. Nothing stellar, but they had a good selection to choose from.

Pools, Video games, etc. Plenty of stuff to keep the kids busy if you have any.

Cons:
- Parking. As a previous poster had stated, if you are driving an SUV, truck, or van, parking can be a test of how high your blood pressure can go. However, if you are driving a car, it shouldn't be that difficult of a task. My wife and I took our Civic, so parking was a snap.

-Turning left. It is very difficult to see when turning left out of the hotel. Maybe this is only relevant to cars because you might be able to see over the obstructions in a truck. If you're having trouble turning left, just turn right. Then, when you get to the intersection behind the Tram, turn left. This will dump you onto the main drag.

Overall, I would recommend this place to a friend. The rooms aren't extravagant, but they're clean. Besides, if you spend your money to goon vacation, and you spend your entire time in your room, then you're wasting your money when there's so much to do in Gatlinburg.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank williams_s
Reviewed October 10, 2007

Horribe rooms, poor customer service, I expected alot based on the photos and the reviews, but everything they said about the hotel was true. It has potential, but they need to invest more in the room.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Roma32
Reviewed October 6, 2007

The front desk clerk was very nice. She couldn't of been any nicer. But the rooms GROSS, GROSS, GROSS. There were hairs in the bathtub. Now that is nasty. Then we looked at another room and it was gross with hairs too. So I called the Hotels.com people and they are refunding my money. But this place is really runned down. They are remodeling, but I am not sure what.

7  Thank littlesassy