“Great place for families with kids and great view”

Deer Ridge Mountain Resort
Reviewed August 14, 2008

This is a great place for families with kids to stay. I went there at around 4.00PM and checked in with in few min. The staff was friendly and gave me lot of information about smoky mountain attractions. The room was very clean and bed was nice. Hotel staff provided me with shopping card for local grocery ( Food city) store. The location is little far from Gatlinberg downtown and it is good. There is a golf course next to this resort. just to make long list short....

Great mountain view better than view from any luxary cabin you would rent.

My cell phone worked inside our room. It is a great thing in smoky mountain.

Indoor swimming pool and play ground for kids.

Nice staff

It is worth every peeny I paid.

Kitchen was nice and good.

Desi guys, this is the best place you can find.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed August 11, 2008

WE LOVE DEER RIDGE.

So much so that we are willing to make the almost 13 hour drive it takes to get there. We have been staying at Deer Ridge every other year for about 15 years and have not once been even a little disappointed.

This year there were 8 in our party (4 adults and 4 children ages 3-9). Myself, my husband and our children are return visitors but the family travelling with us had not been to Tennessee before. They were floored by the entire experience, including the condo. As they are individually owned, they are all a bit different in decor but the unit we had was very nice, with telescopes even set up in the living room and in the loft. The 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom loft (which actually contains a 3rd bedroom up in the loft) easily fit all 8 of us and it was so nice to have a kitchen and extra bathroom.

Some people complain about the drive to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge from Deer Ridge (it truly is up in the mountains) but for us, that is one of its best selling features. I cannot imagine being in the hustle and bustle of the strip for a week straight, nor trying to get children to go to sleep like that. Deer Ridge gives you all the comforts of home, accessability to the tourist attractions and a gorgeous, peaceful retreat once you have headed back "home" for the evening.

Staff is always willing to accomodate here and are very friendly. We will without a doubt return to Deer Ridge and the family travelling with us is already talking about when they can visit again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2008

This will be our ninth year in a row we have stayed at deer ridge.My son and daughter keeps asking why do we keep going back to the same place every year?And I tell him the same answer every time "It feels like home" The people at deer ridge let you feel like you are family and always welcome! Well guess what, my son and his family just booked a week in october at deer ridge. I know he will be returning time and again with his family. Now I know why they built Deer Ridge on this
mountain,with this view you have to be close to heaven!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2008

We booked this resort for a long weekend in the mountains. Using Hotwire, we got a really good deal, a one bed room condo for $104 a night. So, on Friday morning we headed up from Atlanta towards our much loved Gatlinburg. However, using a combination between the resorts directions and map quest, we soon realized that we were not entering upon our normal route. No worries though, just the best route to get us to the resort,which is a ways out of town on 321. We are very lucky that we did print the resorts directions because if we had just used map quest, we would have been in big trouble. Deer Ridge is a little tricky to find. Eagle eye husband saw the little sign, and didn't even miss our turn. The entrance drive takes you through a gorgeous golf course, and then- up the mountain. Whoa, what a ride. I second all the reviewers that say make sure you don't arrive after dark. It's a very curvy, mountainous road. The signs are pretty small, as well. About 10 minutes later, we came across the resort entrance. It was very pretty with a stone water fall. The sign, just as you pull in, boasts "The best view in the smokies!". They aren't lying. You are WAY up there. It was pretty in July, so I can just immagine what it looks like Late September as the leaves change. As we followed the directions to the office, we were happy to see a gorgeous play ground and indoor picnic facility. The outside of the condo buildings themselves reminded me of 1980 appartment buildings. I don't mean that in a bad way. They were fine. That's just what the reminded me of.

Check in was fine. The office staff was courteous and polite. The process was quick and painless. They did not, however, give us a run down of the ammenities or mention that there was a food city value card on the key. That would have been very helpful later for us, and could have saved us a few dollars. SO,make sure you check those key rings, or ask the front desk for a value card. Attached to the office is the indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, vending machines, and a recreation deck with grills,and stair access to the tennis courts. The pool area had a bit of a dated look,but it was nice and large enough for my family to enjoy splashing around in. Also, housed in the office is Deer Ridge's internet cafe. Actually, its just one computer that you can use to hop on the net. It's free and open till 11pm. In the office, they also have a great wireless signal, and its free for the guests to use. You are free to use it in your room, too, if you can get the signal. In our condo, we had no signal. No bars. Nothing. So, I had to go to the office to check email a couple of times.

From Check in, we headed to our accomadations, just a short walk away. Parking is ample, and convenient. We had a front row parking spot the whole time we were there. Our room was on the second floor of building E. I have to say, I hope that they don't give out the first floor of building E unless they have to, because your view would be completely obscured by trees. Ours was not-- thank goodness. There were no stairs to walk up,just straight from the parking lot to our front door. It made unpacking the car easy. Upon entering, I was not swept away. But, I wasn't horrified either. It is what it is. A bit dated. Yes. But, charming, non the less with Bear decor throughout. Our condo was a one bedroom, and very much resembled a very small one bedroom apartment. The kitchen was fully stocked, all you had to bring was the food. Everything I could think of, from a lasanga pan to a collander, to a pizza cutter, was available. Nothing was dirty. I was actually struck by how clean the kitchen appeared. The balcony was glorious. The view took my breath. Gorgeous. They had a very imformative book available in the room for our use with recommendations for dining and directions to the most popular attractions.

A few negatives- 1) the beds in our condo were horrendous. Really bad. Like sleeping on boards.Hard Boards. I've heard that most of these were individually owned, so maybe their not all bad? 2) No linens for the sofa bed. However, in their defense, I didn't ask for any. We just cuddled up in the soft blankets provided. The sofa bed was far worse than the real bed. Lots of springs, and the matress was maybe 1 1/2 inch thick. 3) It is a hike to town. It took 15 minutes to Gatlinburg, and more like 45 to Pigeon Forge in traffic. Being that we were travelling with our two little ones, we did lots in pigeon forge.So, we spent more in gas than we planned on.

I really did enjoy our stay at deer ridge. Having the kitchen saved us a ton on eating out. Food city is a short drive,and not completely out of the way. The view was gorgeous, and the condos were fine. I don't know, sigh, if I would say this was a three star resort as hotwire says it is, but it was fine. However, the hike to town probably will take this off of our lists of places to stay while visiting the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge Area. But if your looking for quiet, beautiful views, courteous staff, and not much commuting to town, Deer Ridge is for you.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank Gracetanner
Reviewed June 6, 2008

We spent three days at Deer Ridge and had an amazing stay. The view is second to none and the condo was clean and wholesome. The location is away from the noise and traffic of the tourist area. There is a grocery store located a short drive from this location and we even had a discount card attached to our room key that saved us twelve bucks on our groceries! I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a peaceful and tranquil place to enjoy themselves that’s just a short drive from the tourist area.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank HoustonFamilyMan
Reviewed May 15, 2008

4 of us and our toddler stayed here 4 nights in may, and had a great time. 2-bedroom condo w/loft was perfect. incredible view. rooms were nice and clean. nice balcony to hang out on room for 3 comfortably, can squeeze 4 adults in. the road up to Deer Ridge is crazy, goes right up the mountain and doubles back on itself several times... be careful meeting other cars! you're about a 22-25 minute ride into town from here, approx 13 miles. as usual though we overbooked ourselves and should've done more relaxing things rather than the touristy stuff. i'd like to go back and hang out at Deer Ridge a little more, do some hikes and hit the pool.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed May 8, 2008

"Best View in the Smokies" is their motto. They earned it. BREATHTAKING views. Individual condos so you will have many different levels of accomodations. We had a good one though. Great price. Great location. Not in downtown Gatlinburg. Very remote. Nice indoor pool. We just stayed a weekend. The condo was well equipped. Nice floorplan. 1 bedroom with loft. Basically a 2 bedroom. Fireplace. Nice little mountain place. Not fancy. You better be very sober and paying attention on the drive to and from Deer Ridge. :) Enjoy.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family