“Great stay!!”

Black Bear Inn & Suites
Ranked #43 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I was very pleased with my stay, it was surprisingly quiet to be on the main road in Gatlinburg.The staff from the front desk,breakfast cooks,housekeeping to maintenance man were very friendly and helpful. My room was very clean and the beds were nice and comfortable ,had a mini fridge, microwave and iron and ironing board in room. I talked to
several guest and all were happy with there rooms.And there's no need to be hungry in the morning they have everything from a country breakfast of biscuits & gravy w/ all the fixens ,omelets,waffles,cereal to donuts. There are at least five restaurant's
within a block of the hotel. Also not far away is a unpaved, wooded walking trail along the river. So for a nice getaway this is a good place.
Didn't care for the bright light outside the balcony door the mini blinds on the door just muted the light,( at least I didn't trip on any thing going to the bathroom in the middle of the night )LOL.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed September 30, 2009

I have been to Gatlinburg (and Pigeon Forge) many, many times over the years. I brought the whole family and stayed in another hotel just a few months ago.....a certain 'Motor Lodge' that has very high reviews here on Trip Advisor....and I can't fathom why. We paid almost exactly the same at both places and the difference is like night and day. The Clarion has all those things that make staying somewhere actually enjoyable. It was clean, comfortable and in a good location. This is an 'interior hall' kind of place, not a 'park in front of your bed' kind of place. There are elevators that work, carts to haul your luggage to your room and a covered unloading and check in area......things that are very important if you have just ridden a motorcycle 500 miles in the rain. The rooms actually have things like wallpaper, unbroken tile, working appliances....like you would expect from a real hotel, and things were kept clean. The breakfast was a true highlight. They provide honest to goodness HOT food (as well as cereal and doughnuts) and they even provide (gasp) attendants to see to your needs. The young lady fixed my wife up a wonderful omelet while I gorged myself on bacon, hash browns, biscuits and sausage and......cold milk. (If you don't think that's a big deal, walk across the street to the store where milk is $5.99 a gallon) The last time I was here, I forked over more than $10 per person for breakfast at some noted Gatlinburg eateries, and it wasn't as good as what we had here. We had no trouble finding a place to sit and the eating area was very nice and relaxing. The most important aspect about this hotel is that unlike the majority of places in this area, it does NOT feel like it's straight out of 1964. It's a really nice place. I can't BELIEVE that I paid the same money a few months ago to stay in time warp, mildewed dump when I could have stayed here in a clean, modern hotel. When I come back to Gatlinburg, THIS is where I will bring my family.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank t61travel
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We just got back from a 2 night stay in Gatlinburg, TN and stayed at the Clarion Inn located at the end of the strip going towards the park. The location for this hotel is great and parking is very good also. The hotel provides free breakfast and free wireless internet. All the local attractions is with in walking distance. This hotel was very clean. Each room also had a balcony, but if you prefer to be over looking the strip you might want to request a parkway hall side as we were placed on the back side facing the parking lot. For around a $100.00 a night this hotel is unbeatable.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BellCountyKYTravler
Reviewed September 2, 2009

We stayed at the Clarion several years ago in February and it snowed. Our room was very simple. I don't recall having a kitchen area at all. I do believe you can request a small fridge and maybe a microwave. In the morning they provide a free breakfast downstairs. This place is convenient because it is on the main drag through Gatlinburg...but perfect location because it's at the end right before going into the park. Really enjoyed it.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HSV-Mommy
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Our family (Myself, wife, 5 yr old son, & 2 yr old daughter) enjoyed this past weekend's stay at the Clarion. At check in, I was greeted by a gentleman who was very nice and helpful. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The resort fee of $9 per night was added to my bill but I knew this before hand. You just have to factor this into the price of the room. I read where several people had complained about this in the past.

We enjoyed the full breakfast both Saturday and Sunday morning. Three ladies were preparing fresh eggs, bacon, sausage, gravy, hasbrowns, omlets, etc.... The service was very nice and food was plentiful. I can see how the seating can be limited with a large crowd but if you are patient a table will open up. Eating breakfast twice for my family of four saved me at least $50 to $60.

I would highly recommend the Clarion for a nice night's stay. If you don't mind a little traffic noise and want to people watch you can request the street view. For a quieter stay you will want a room on the backside.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Chand33
Reviewed August 10, 2009

This is a decent hotel. Great location at the end of the main strip, so it is within walking distance of a lot of attractions. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was very good. One of the best free breakfasts I have ever had. The room was nice, pretty good size and equipped with a large flat screen TV and micro fridge. The balcony was nice, but the light outside of the door was distracting. The air conditioning did not work well, so the temperature was not always pleasant in the room. Overall, it was a pretty good place to stay and a decent value. The hotel needs to get rid of the $9 resort fee, which is ridiculous because this is not a resort!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GRINOLA
Reviewed July 27, 2009

My daughter, 9-year old grandson & I (grandma) just got back from our trip to Gatlinburg. We are NOT what you would consider "hard-to-please" kind of people. In fact this is the first time I've ever written a negative review about a hotel. The room rate is excessively high for what you get ($107/per night-$145 on weekends), plus each night there is an additional $30 in taxes. It was over $600 for 4 nights & not worth it.

Where to start - bright yellow/orange light outside our room on our "balcony" kept us awake most of the night. There was no curtain to pull over the door; curtain only covered the small window. There was a bright orange glow in the room all night. We couldn't use the patio because of lots of hornets buzzing around day & night. We couldn't turn on the hall light in our room because of the flickering. There is a very small breakfast area in the lobby for huge crowds of people; tables & floor very dirty; kept running out of food, utensils, donuts; had cereal but no milk. The coffee was like brown-colored hot water. The "free continental breakfast" was available from 7:00 am to 10:00 am & we were told by the front desk that "we were coming down from our room at the wrong time; you have to get there early." (We usually arrived between 9:00 & 9:15.) We gave up eating there. Wanted iced coffee twice in the afternoon & they were out of it both times. The "indoor/outdoor pool" - don't be deceived by that description. You have to go outside, thru the parking lot to the other end of the of the detached pool & hot tub building to use it. No way you could go there in the winter. The floor inside the pool area was very slippery; we saw several people fall, including my grandson. He said the water felt "thick." I don't even want to know what that was! When we checked out of the hotel we all said, "Never again!!"

• Stayed: July 2009