“Comfortable Stay”

Black Bear Inn & Suites
Ranked #41 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed May 21, 2009

We stayed a couple of days at the Clarion during our recent visit to Gatlinburg and was pleased with several things about it. Our room was a two room suite with a great balcony which was roomy enough to accomodate five people and not just the three of us.
Bedroom and living area were very clean and updated. You actually felt like you were in a living room when you were in there. TVs were just recently changed over to flat screens. The beds were clean and very comfortable. Also, the breakfast area was very inviting and the food very good.
I can't vouch for the regular rooms, but the suite we were in was very nice, roomy and priced reasonably.
I would definitely consider it on my next stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BuckeyeTraveler68
There are newer reviews for Black Bear Inn & Suites

Reviewed May 11, 2009

I found that the hotel was very nice, the room was clean, frig. worked great, bathroom very clean, the breakfast was good they had, doughnuts, muffins, pancakes, fresh fruit, 4 kinds of cereal, milk, apple juice, coffee, eggs, biscuits n gravy, toast. Now as for the resort fee I didn't see where they were a resort. Pool was nice. Weight room was nice my boys enjoyed it. And as for the location it was great for us cause my boys got up early to go fishin and it was close by that they could walk.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank KennyFan28
Reviewed May 5, 2009

March was the first time our family ever stayed here. We thought we would save a little money given the economy situation. Turns out my grandfather was right, you always get exactly what you pay for. The rooms were incredibly small and crampt. The beds were not horrible, but certainly not comfortable. The bed linens were in very worn condition, as were the stained towels. The backside of our comforter was stained with something that looked disgusting, so we exchanged that with a housekeeper. She said it was something that came it off in the wash, looked more like something that came off a decomposing mammal. The highlight of our value excursion was the Front Desk staff. They must be saving a lot of money in training becuase we did not find a service oriented employee in the bunch. No one knew anything about the area, restaurants, or added attractions since our last trip to the area, nothing, zip, zilch, zero. I am not sure they answered one single question we had. The breakfast was terrible. They snuck in a "resort fee" when they are not a resort at all, that seems a little shady. I am sure we have stayed in worse places, but its been a while since anything this bad in a destination spot. The pool was nice, I thought it needed cleaning more, but I was already jaded so I was looking for things to be wrong at that point. No, I would not stay here again, and No, I would not advise anyone else too either. I don't like saying bad things about hotels or anything else, but they could do a much better job if they just tried a little harder.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank mountainlover1970
Reviewed March 20, 2009

First time we had stayed at this hotel. The location was excellent - down the street from the heart of Gatlinburg so that you wouldn't have the noise all night long, but close enough to walk to all the attractions.

Our room was very clean and the cleaning staff did a great job each day. The only drawback was that the room was small (we had a regular two-queen bed suite) but since we were rarely in it that wasn't a big problem.

The attendants at the front desk was extremely nice and accommodating as was the attendant in the pool area. The continental breakfast was the standard fare with the attendant there visiting the tables and offering to dispose of paper plates, cups, etc. Very nice!

Would definitely stay at again - enjoyed this visit very much!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Shellofive
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and i just returned from the clarion inn, we visited for Valentine's Day weekend. Our stay here was o.k., I've been to Gatlinburg many times but never stayed here and now i can say i have. The location is excellent it's beside some of the best restaurants in the city. It' s located on the parkway and our balcony faced the parkway which was nice to be able to sit there and take it all in. The downside is the lights from the road really light up your room. There is only a plastic miniblind over the door so the red lights from the texas roadhouse across the street came shinning in, but if you stay on the back side it overlooks the parking lot. It was also noisey being located right on the road. You just need to skip the breakfast here there are way to many pancake places to visit. We tried to save time and money one morning and it was awfull! The do-nuts were hard as a brick, the biscuits were canned and i'm not sure what it was they called eggs, but we couldn't eat it. We settled for a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee. The entire facility is No Smoking, i had to sign a paper that said no one would smoke even on the balcony or i would be charged $150.00. So if you smoke this is not the place for you. Your also charged a resort fee that is not included in the price of the room and i would not consider this place a "resort". The beds were very comfy and most importantly it was clean. The front desk was very nice and anyone we passed greated us. We did not use the pool or hot tub because it is located in the middle of the parking lot and it was to cold to go from the pool to the hotel. I choose this hotel because we get a discount at any choice hotel and some of the others in the area have a 3 night minimum on holliday (we could only go for 2) but even with that it was a little pricey for what we got.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tkmull
Reviewed January 4, 2009

My family and I decided to spend New Year's week at this hotel since we had never stayed in downtown Gatlinburg...It was a first and will most likely be a last..let me start with the positives:

The staff is wonderful..they go out of the way to make you feel welcome and the housekeeping dept is great..

The resort has a great location, right next to Park Grill and on the strip, yet much quieter than other hotels..

The indoor pool is very nice...

Now, for the downfalls..

We paid $ 200+ per nt for this hotel over New Year's. The sleeper sofa literally fell thru when our 2 girls climbed on it the first night..we fixed it but it was like laying on metal rails, they had to put their blankets under them just to keep from getting bruises...the housekeeping dept did bring us another mattress to put on top of that one the next day and that did help..we left the sofa folded out because closed up it was the most umcomfortable piece of furniture I have ever sat on..

The walls are extremely thin...you better like noise from across the hall if you plan to stay here...

Water pressure is non-existent...Bathroom was tiny!

The fridge needed defrosting and did not keep drinks cold..

Patio furniture consists of 2 plastic chairs..not in the best shape

Checkin is at 3p..I called early to see if we could checkin early..was told to come or call at 1p, they would have our room ready..We went to the front desk at 1p, was told it would be 20 mins but they did not get us in until 3:10..we were not leaving again in the traffic as it took us a solid hour to get from the start of Gatlinburg to the hotel..

Overall, this is one of the nicer hotels in Gatlinburg and the staff is great but for the cost, I will not spend my money there again. We normally stay in Pigeon Forge at the Wyndham Smoky Mtns or in a cabin and we will do that in the future..this 1 bedroom suite was tiny, the bedroom was bigger than the living room..the furniture was in terrible shape but after hearing some of the people who stayed there, that does not surprise me..On the bright side, we did have a great view of the fireworks from our balcony.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank luv2travelgirl76
Reviewed December 30, 2008

We stayed at this hotel in the fall and had an okay stay so we decided to try it again. In the fall the hotel offered free cookies and hot apple cider in the evenings they do not do this in the winter. Also last time we had a room facing the strip so I enjoyed the view this time we were on the back of the building with a view of the parking lot. The beds are comfy. The pool is in a seperate building in the parking lot but the water is very warm. The balcony door has a cheap blind on it so you can not close out the light from the street lamps. So if sleeping in a dark room is important to you this hotel is a wrong choice. The shower had several black hairs in it, which was unpleasant. We had booked two nights, but decided to change hotels after just one. It seemed that the two things that I liked at the hotel this fall were no longer available.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family