“WONDERFUL WONDERFUL-DID I SAY WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Brookside Resort

Brookside Resort
Ranked #35 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Cincinnati
“WONDERFUL WONDERFUL-DID I SAY WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed April 10, 2010

My husband and I have been coming to Gatlinburg every year since we were 18 years old. This will mark the 12th year!!! Each and every time we come to Gatlinburg this is where we stay. The hotel staff are down home, simple folks who will do anything and everything to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The hotel is older and dated BUT this is why we come to Gatlinburg, to escape from all the material nonsense found everywhere else in the world! Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge is like a different world-its how things used to be-everything is a bit slower down here!!! This hotel has cheap prices, extremely clean rooms, wonderful staff, and is a great place to escape from the real world!!! Words cannot describe how wonderful each stay has been for us!!! If you are looking for silly amenities such as a blow dryer, coffee pot, shampoo-find a hotel where you will pay 100's of dollars and have less than friendly staff-to say the least! If you are looking for a wonderful, clean, friendly place to kick back and relax and not have to pay a ton of $$$ this is definantly the place for you!!! I RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL ANY DAY!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank InlovewithGburg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
georgia
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We were here for 4 days in July. I have to admit I have read the reviews, and I must address the one who so ardently praised it. It does have 2 two connecting pools with waterfalls, but that counts as one pool. Over beside the office is another pool. It was not clean and had debris floating in it the entire time. The so called rec room with ping pong was an unkempt room up above the office. It was hot uncooled and the same trash remained on the floors our entire stay. The "ping pong" table was rickety and wobbled, unusable. When we asked about this, we were told it was all they had.
At our reservations, we were told only standard rooms were available, so we took that. These don't even have coffee makers which the other rooms do. When I asked if we could get one for early morning coffee I was told abruptly it would be an additional $20 night. Their breakfast was good, and the room inviting, but many people there when we were were complaining that they start serving so late. Which is 8 am. They don't even put coffee out until then. Many people like to be on the road or out by then. As we are early risers, we had to walk across the road each morning, since they would not provide us a coffee maker, and buy coffee at the Pancake house. Unacceptable.
Also one person commented on the first floor being the smoking floor. We were told entirely different. We requested a first floor non smoking room, and were told that all were full, but that the second floor was smoking, and that was all they had available. I wonder if it changes with their mood.
The room was nice and clean, but the area by the creek is not very accessible. No way to get down to the creek. And the area around the big pool had the same trash and unemptied receptacles there for 3 days.
The trolly stop is nice. But for the money we have found much nicer motels while we were there and for the same money. And no I dont expect the business type motels, we prefer the cozy homey type. Don't waste your money her

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank roadloverGeorgia
Georgia
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We got married in Gatlinburg in 1997, both of our families stayed at Brookside with us.
We continue to come back to Brookside every October for our anniversary. The hotel may be a little dated but you will not find a cleaner hotel unless it is new. The front desk folks are very friendly and accomodating. The rooms are very large. The creek runs behind the resort and is gorgeous. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Gatlinburg, just don't expect new; expect clean! They added a continental breakfast, it was a very good idea.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed July 1, 2009

Well, I would like to start out saying I'm a twenty year old that has many great memories at Brookside! I haven't missed one summer in Gatlinburg since I was born, and every trip was at Brookside. I read everyones reviews and I must comment because I feel that some were very exaggerated. Lets start out saying that not one hotel in the area can top the pool. Two connecting pools attach to one another adjacent to a kiddie pool. In order to approach slide 1 you're drenched by a waterfall that is like no other. The whirlpool is huge and is the place to sit back and relax. You must stay in the 4 level section of the hotel though. We stay in the connecting rooms that have a kitchen, couch, dining table, and the balcony is extended with the best view. We have stayed in the other rooms and they're well worth the money too. Many of the comments say that the rooms are out of date. I do believe that many of the tourists are now used to the hotels with a business theme. Take a second to realize that you're in the smokies, so take the time to appreciate the country, cabin look, that brookside has to offer. The balcony overlooks a stream that has a peaceful sound that can only be described by those that have heard it. There is a sidewalk next to the stream and a place to BBQ and have a picnic. They added last year a breakfast set up that was very well presented. The food was quality, restocked throughout the morning, and served for over 2hours. The breakfast room also has a place to sit with a flat screen tv. They now have a brand new convention center, work out room, putting green, and have put up another huge slide at the pool. The staff is wonderful. I give the maids credit for keeping the rooms clean. Every day of the trip the maids made the room look like I just arrived again. I also have to say I could leave anything out and not have to worry about it being taken. My family checked out once and left a twenty dollar bill on the bed. The staff had it in the mail the next day. I need to solve the other review comments about the distance to town. If you want a hotel right in town the more power to you. However, you're just going to find out that it's nothing like Brookside. I haven't saw one hotel with a similar pool, clean rooms,on ten acres of land, and it's rare to find a private streamside balcony room. The beginning strip of the town can be approached in about 10-15min of walking. It takes about 5min to get to the Aquarium when taking a trolley. However, the trolleys have cut back due to less people taking vacations. They do come every half hour, but most people don't realize they just missed it. Not too many shuttles out there only charge 50 cents for a ride! It's well worth the wait. If you're in the smokies for a week or a day I think you would enjoy it here. I'm leaving for my 20th trip to Brookside next week!!! I also wanted to add that I was at Brookside for the making of the new brochure last summer. I'm the guy in the whirlpool picture that you need to thank for recommending your stay in Gatlinburg at Brookside!!! I hope this helped.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Gatlinburgfan
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 18, 2009

We stayed here a for 3 nights on vacation to the Smoky Mountains. It is extremly close to Great Smoky Mountain National park, and of course Gatlinburg. It was easy to get in & out of, right off the main street - walking distance to downtown and the many attractions Galinburg has to offer.

The room was nice but dated, and we loved it that way. It had kind of a musty smell to it, but still we enjoyed our stay. The staff was very nice and helpful - it is also on the shuttle/tram route.

The property is beautiful and they have a small creek that runs through the back of it with a nice 8ft bridge. We will definatly return to BSR in the future for stays in Gatlinburg.

• Liked — Everything! Location, Value, Room
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank nirvanaqween
Sanford, FL
Reviewed November 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed in one of the Brookside cabins again this year. We stay at one of the cabins every year in October and the charm of the cabin and the grounds was worth it once again. The TV is a little old and could be updated and so could some of the ceiling but the creek being a few steps away and the fireplace and the beautiful grounds makes you forget that and it adds it's own charm. It is definitely that place to stay to get away from everything kick back and relax.

• Liked — The beauty of the surroundings
  • Disliked — The TV
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed August 28, 2008

We have stayed at Brookside twice. It's the only place we've ever stayed in Gatlinburg, so I can't compare it to other places, but we haven't been disappointed yet.

We spent a weekend there in October. The other stay was during Easter weekend. We've stayed in a standard (queen, I think) smoking room not facing the creek. The second time we stayed in a deluxe streamside room and were even more pleased than the first time. There was a king size bed and a fireplace. The room was huge, and the creek out back is really beautiful.

For as old as the place/decor is, this is the cleanest place I have ever stayed. Both times we've stayed our rooms have been spotless. Not even any dirt buildup in the corners. Totally clean.

The firewood on our floor was always stocked and we really enjoyed using our fireplace, but the room did get pretty toasty.

The office people were very pleasant both times, and 1 nice lady even mentioned to my little girl that they would be having an Easter egg hunt for the kids during our stay, which I thought was nice.

I must say that even though this place is a bit inconvenient to walk to the main strip (especially with little kids), it is directly across from the best breakfast in town--FLAPJACKS!

The decor is 1970's-ish, but if you don't mind that, Brookside is a very nice place to stay. Quiet, CLEAN, budget-friendly. i would stay there again.

• Liked — Very clean, pleasant front desk, big rooms, beautiful setting
  • Disliked — outdated decor
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family