“Great Place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Cullman, Alabama
“Great Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Brookside is a wonderful place to stay. The king size deluxe room was large & really nice. It was an older room so the carpet & furnishing were not new, however, I feel that was part of the charm. :-) The fireplace, whirlpool tub & flowing creek (our balcony over looked the creek), more than made up for a room with new carpets. The free breakfast every morning was better than most hotels offer. Different cereals, gravy & biscuits, egg, bacon, cheddar bake casserole, bagels butter, jam, milk & orange juice. Now I think that's a nice, FREE breakfast!! The staff were very friendly. We enjoyed our stay & didn't want to leave. :-) We will be staying there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Reba W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Carson City, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I am unhappy with whomever took our reservations. I called and made them for November 23 and 24, the lady verbally confirmed my dates,I wrote down the confirmation number and put it away until our travel time. Printed off the email, without looking at it, until the day of arrival. The lady put in the wrong date, she put down the date I called her as the arrival date. I talked to the manger and she stated that I was a no-show and had already been charged. She found me rooms , told me she would only apply half of the amount of the no-show charge to this stay, and charged me a different rate than I was originally quoted. I was in a tight spot as the other hotels were booked, this one had plenty of rooms. My complaint is that I should not have had to double check that the lady who took the reservation wrote down the dates she verbally confirmed. All my money should have been applied to this stay and I should not have been charged more than originally agreed upon for the beds I required for our stay. I think they are overpriced anyhow for the condition of their hotel. Also you never knew if the elevator was going to work. Breakfast was not worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank myhonestopinion2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

This hotel left a lot to be desired. The room had a very musty smell, and it was very outdated, with very old mattresses, and ripping carpet. That being said, it was not a horrible experience.

If there was a redeeming quality to this establishment, it was their kind, and quick staff. We had a room that had a little patio on the back. Our first morning, we walked out onto it, not thinking left our keys inside. A phone call to the front desk, and it wasn't 5 minutes, a maintenance person was there to let us in.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kingsrattler
Greer, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

The rooms were the largest I have ever stayed in. Our bed was very firm but comfortable. I think it was pretty clean. The bathroom was small but clean and they gave us plenty of towels etc.
The coffee in the room was very good, much better than the coffee in the breakfast room. We went out for breakfast after we visited the breakfast selections. None of the toasters worked...have you ever had a cold bagel? Not too good. The hotel stated that they had a hot continental breakfast. Hope you take your own fire to heat it with.
Very good location. close enough to the main street to walk if you need to since parking there is a premium. You can always catch the trolley.

Room Tip: I would stay there again but would not waste my time with the breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 10Goads
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Older place but liked big room and fireplace. Balcony overlooking creek was very relaxing. Would recommend Flapjacks across the street for breakfast. Location is off the main road, so much quieter. Craft area short drive up road.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ps308
Cashiers, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We loved Brookside. We have stayed all over Gatlinburg for 27 years but have had really bad experiences finding a pet friendly place to stay that is DECENT. Brookside is a great place. We had a great room on the creek, a nice place to walk the dog and the room was nice and very clean. If you are looking for "Park Ave or Rodeo Drive" this will not suit your needs, but we love clean, convenient "mountain" places to stay. That is what Brookside is! We enjoyed every aspect of our stay. Employees were all SUPER nice, location is good, nice new linens and a GREAT bed!!!Lots of nice, great towels and friendly smiles!!! We will definately go back!!! And by the way, the PRICE IS RIGHT!!!!! A+

Room Tip: We actually stayed in the older section of the buildings, but we loved it and will request the same...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rlejte
Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

As all the other reviewers have stated, this is a throwback to the 70s. However, the room was huge and clean. The king-sized bed was very comfortable. One of the jets didn't work in the jacuzzi tub and none were very powerful, so it was nothing special. My parents stayed in the room next to us and had a fireplace in their room. I kind of liked the atmosphere!

The staff was very helpful. I loved the outdoor balcony overlooking the brook! It's away from the hustle and bustle of the main attractions, which we liked. There is a trolly/bus that stops right in front of the office which will take you practically anywhere you want to go and saves you the money on parking. Would have been nice to have wi-fi or even high speed internet in the room.

Breakfast was nothing to brag about, but it was enough to get us on the road.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple