“An Oldie But A Goodie”

Ranked #33 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Cape coral
“An Oldie But A Goodie”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We are a family of four that was looking for a good deal on Priceline but I do my research first and narrow down what hotel with the amount of stars I am looking could be given to me. We booked for five days and I had read reviews before we arrived so I knew what to be expecting. I must say that the hotel exceeded my expectations. First, when we arrived at midnight I asked if we would be located in the pet section of the hotel (I had read reviews that said that was the older side and not very nice). The man at the front said yes but I explained that I could not stay where dogs had been do to an allergy in my family. The man at the desk (Rene) was hesitant but did move our room to the newer side of hotel. I was persistent and explained that we were there for five nights and not just one so it made a big difference. He did say there was a large difference in price but after some sweet talk, we were booked into room 116 on the bottom floor right next to the breakfast room. Please know Rene told me upon check in that there was a large motorcycle gang staying over on that side of the resort and I assured him we would be ok. The gang was loud and rowdy way past 1am but hey so we're my children. I was fine with it and even was mooned by one of the men through the glass elevator door...lol. I would assum that it was a special once a year trip for the gang and my husband looked up the gang on the Internet before we went to sleep to give us some pice of mind (they were just people who like to have fun with friends and they just happen to ride motorcycles). The room was large with two queen beds and it was mostly clean with a newish shower. The beds weren't too bad, my only complaint about the beds were that the bottom sheet kept coming off the bed at night when I slept. There was a mini fridge and microwave and a fire place with two older chairs and a table, everything is very old but it worked. After reading the reviews I thought the carpet would be sticky and gross, it wasn't. The carpet was dark and maybe a bit dirty but I wore clean white socks around the entire time I was in the room and they were not black when I removed them. The rooms air worked great. The creek out back was so nice and I tried to talk my family into going in it but we did not. I walked with the kids around the whole grounds and you can tell this is a very old hotel but it was rustic. It reminded me of the places my parents would stop at late at night when we took road trips (before computers and online reviews). The breakfast was mainly cereal and bagels, there were biscuits and gravy set out too. We only had the breakfast two out of five mornings, so it was fine, the coffe was good too. Don't go expecting a huge buffet it was homemade stuff. The pool was clean and my children ages 5. & 10 loved the pool slides. My husband and I enjoyed wine in the hot tub as well. We went to Gatlinburg to play, so we didn't plan on being in the room very much. The towels were clean each day when we returned and the beds and room were made up as well. I must say the best part of the hotel was that our room was so so very dark until we opened the blinds. It was amazing! We would come home at midnight each night, shower and sleep well past 11am with no destirbances (that is the main reason we only had breakfast twice.....(we missed it). The drapes are old and heavy, with our room facing the creek the way it was and with no front window the room was perfect for us. I used the landry room one evening and saw a couple working out in the weight room. The laundry room is on the older side and you need a key from the front desk to use it, 50 cents to wash, dry or buy detergent. The staff was friendly and efficient. This is a family run hotel not a huge chain. There are a lot of renovations that need to be done and I am thinking the family took on too big of a job for just themselves but I wish them luck. I would stay again if the price was right but I would want my same dark room:).The hotel is off the main strip so we had to drive and pay to park($6) but it was worth not doing the extra walking. The room keys were actual keys, which I thought was cool.

Room Tip: Get the bigger room on the side next too the large pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We booked a room here through priceline. The price seemed reasonable for being in Gatlinburg, but now I know why. There are two separate parts of this hotel and we got rooms in the "old" part. The sign promises fireplaces, kitchenettes, and brookside rooms. The only thing we got was a very dark room with paneling, stained floors, bugs, and a bathroom that smelled like a nursing home. The ONLY good thing about our room was the we could go out the back door to see the creek outside. There was NO fireplace or kitchen. The only thing in our room was a very small TV and a very small coffee pot. This place was not even trying. I understand that it is an older hotel/motel, but they could update it a little...especially by putting in new carpet. It felt like we had stepped back into the 1970's, but not in a good way. Pictures are very misleading. There was two pools one of which was on the "old" side, but to get to the good pool with the slides you basically have to walk a good distance without an adequate path/walkway. I would NOT recommend this hotel!!!

Room Tip: If you stay here, make sure to ask that you not be put in the old part of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank aplemmom81
BrooksideResort, Owner at Brookside Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are committed to providing the best in facilities and service, and to this end, we are currently investing additional capital in updating the hotel exterior as well as other areas of the property, focusing on the interiors. We appreciate your business, and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future. As with any ongoing renovation project, some details may be overlooked and we really do appreciate guests input. However, the room you received upon check-in is our regular room in the Creekside area which has been renovated. The facilities you were desiring are upgrades and must be requested upon checkin, and if available. Our website states which rooms have the available amenities.
Calhoun, Georgia, United States
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at Brookside Resort for a short (5 day) getaway in June. It is a little dated, but the rooms are large and clean. We had a huge balcony over the river. The hotel is just about 1/2 mile off of the parkway, close enough to walk, but far enough away to avoid the crowds. The pools were large and well maintained. The hotel served a hot breakfast daily..for free. Great price. Great room. We will definetly come back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MyraSmallwood
East Earl
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My family and I have been staying here for about 6 years and we keep coming back. Brookside is a great family resort. The rooms are quite big. There is a balcony just outside your room that looks over the beautiful creek that is very peaceful especially at night. There is a beautiful pool which includes a waterfall with built in waterslide and also has a playground styled slide in the pool connected to the one pool. Right above that pool is a deck with lots of lounge chairs for some tanning without getting wet. There is a swing set for kids, a basketball court, a volleyball court, area with golf holes in it, and a shuffle board set up game. You don't even need to bring a basketball or volleyball or any of the other things needed to play those games, just go up to the friendly staff up front and ask for them. The hotel also comes with a continental breakfast, fitness room and a Wi-Fi room. My sister and I, when we're done with swimming in the pool, get our tubes and go tubing down the creek when the water is high enough. The shops are less than a half a mile down the street which was good for my family and I after we have all the good food Tennessee has to offer throughout the day, but if walking that long isn't your thing, for $0.50 you could ride the trolley down. We even walked across the street some mornings to go the flapjacks. All around we love this place and plan on coming here for many more years!

Room Tip: Every year we've stayed on the third floor. I'm not quite sure if that has anything to do wi...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank AlyssaB744
Aberdeen, Ohio
Reviewed June 17, 2012

First of all this hotel only has two things going for it, the creek behind the rooms and the big pool. The housekeeping staff are the only helpful and friendly people working there. One of the new owners is not a man of his word. We made reservations for two rooms coming in on Wednesday checking out on Sunday morning last time I checked that was four nights tried to bill us for five.One deluxe room with a kitchen and a deluxe room both non smoking, when we arrived checked in got our room keys went to check out our rooms the room with the kitchen was okay outdated but when we checked out the other room it smelled damp and rank the carpet had big stains and filthy it was a smoking room went back to front desk they gave us keys to another smoking room which we did not request and that was the only other room they had available. Basically take it or leave it the managers remark well they will have to make due. They do not tell you unless you ask if pets have been kept in the rooms. Unfriendly, Not helpful, poor people skills and poor motel skills would never stay there and would not recommend to anyone. Lot of promised updates, pictures on web site very misleading.

Room Tip: Never go by the pictures on the web site ask a lot of questions.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank angie r
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. We really appreciate your comments regarding our customer service and ongoing upgrades to the property. I assure you our staff members take their roles in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service, which our guests expect. If a member does to exceed with this , we address the situation accordingly. As with any renovation project, some items may miss my scrutiny.

Our commitment to investing in our property will continue this winter with renovations to our existing rooms, carpets and exterior. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Gatlinburg!
Moravia, Iowa
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I thought this hotel was a bit dated, It looked like they were working to update the hotel. Overall, our stay was a good experience and relaxing. Patio/balconies creekside from every room is awesome. Jets in the tub was a plus, breakfast was awesome! Refrig, microwave and small sink, plus coffeepot. Fairly close to the downtown area, but far enough away to not be in the middle of it. Yes, I would stay here again. :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Kokomo, Indiana
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in June. The staff was wonderful and very accommodating. Two pools, kiddie pool, hot tub, exercise room, laundry facilities, hot breakfast, and an awesome view.The creekside view from every room is breathtaking as well! I highly recommend Brookside Resort and will stay there every time we are in the area!

Room Tip: Book rooms with queen beds :)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family