“What great place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Chalet Inn
Ranked #46 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Greensboro,NC
“What great place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2007

My Wife and I stayed here in June of 2007 in a room up on the hill and had a great view from our balcony. We enjoyed it so much we brought our son here in July. We then stayed on the river, also ahd a wonderful time. We will certainly be back to saty there again in October. My wife and I have decided that whenever we come to the mountains it will be here at the Fabulous chalet.

The waffels in the morning were wonderful and the lady making them was so helpful in letting us know where to go to see the wildlife in the area.

We have never had a problem with the rooms, cleanliness or varments.

Ken and Deanna Fields,Greensboro,NC

• Liked — Room views, both Mountain and River
  • Disliked — WiFi was not always active, but the front desk reset it when called.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kwfields969

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
k town TN.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2007

Me and my Wife spent our 13 Wedding Anniversary thier. and We Had a Fabulous time. the part of the inn by the river was all book Up so they put us in the chalet on the hill we had a great room And a great view. our room was nice it had a big fireplace a king Size bed a very clean bath with a great balcony. the furnature was Not brand new but was in very good shape.we had a great view Of the mountains from my rocking chair on my balcony. now I Dont think much of these cont. breakfast that most places give You. but the women that work thier fixed me the biggest hottest And best waffles I ever had. the employes in all was very helpfull. From the desk manger Ellen right on down the line they all did Thier jobs very well. every thing was so good we stayed another Night. the 29 and 30th we will go back. jackie and Bobby knox. TN. 37920.

Stayed July 2007
knoxville, tn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2007

After reading all the bad reviews that this hotel received, bad grammer and all, I am forced to interject my opinion about my stays at this best western.

The $15 dollar safes actually cost $1 per night and the safe is bolted to the floor.

If you see ladybugs and do not want to see them, call the front desk and housekeeping will gladly take care of them. Never have I been told that I have to accept bugs.

I have never seen a roach or a snake. I have seen wild turkey, black bear momma and cubs, coyotes many deer.

You cannot get a view of the mountains and the river from the same room. It is geographically impossible. This motel has rooms along the river, approximately one block from the main drag in Gatlinburg. It also has rooms two blocks from the main drag in Gatlinburg that have a mountain, city view. But you cannot have both. It is not possible and do not believe it if there is a motel in this city that makes this claim.

I personally have never had a bad experience at the Fabulous Chalet, in any department. Housekeeping, front desk, and maintenance have always been polite and helpful.

I guess its just a matter of the old saying, "you can't please all the people all the time."

• Liked — bed were very confortable
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank vekelleybaldwin
Ranch in Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2006

When we arrived and opened up our none smoking room we were met with a very strong smoke smell, I went down to the office and asked to be moved as the people we were with was very allergic to smoke. The front desk said no other rooms available. we had to go buy freebreeze did no good. The room was dirty and the maid service never did vaccum any of the five nights we stayed there. I did complain to Reagan office and they blamed us So do not expect any satisfaction from the owners. My suggestion stay out of reagan resorts,
Don Keller

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not go there
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Rockingdkranch
Lexington, KY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2006

Upon checking into the hotel, we were greeted with friendly staff. That soon changed when we got to our room. It smelled very badly and musty that my guest's allergies went nuts. We had to buy frebreeze and use a 1/2 bottle in order to get most of it out. If you are staying in the chalet part, please bring clips & garbage bags to cover the windows that go to the exterior. Otherwise, you have peeping toms looking at you while you are taking a shower. They had shutters that did not move on the outside, yet anyone of any height could easily look in. There were hooks where curtains were at, but no where to be found. When we called front desk, they said that there are no curtains on any room.

The room needed a serious makeover. There are OLD photos and the paneling was falling apart. The room was very small and cramped with 2 beds, a "Sitting area" composed of 2 worn out chairs and a table in between them right in front of the beds facing the fireplace. There were several missing bricks out of the fireplace and one fell when barely touched. It had not been cleaned. The front desk mentioned at check in that firewood wasn't available until November and that it cost $20 to have it!!

The "river side view" was a joke. You could not see the river, but could hear it.

We were also infested with ladybugs in our room. A note was placed on our bed about them and claiming that there is nothing they could do about them.

The towels, sheets, pillows, etc were handwritten in black ink with their initials. I guess that is what you call a redneck monogram. The towel bar was right beside the toliet, which by the way was so wobbly that you was afraid of it breaking when you sat on it. With the towel bar over your head, you were guaranteed to hit your head each and every time.

The safe that would cost you an additional $15 for a key (plus tax) was not even bolted to the ground. Anyone could take off with it.

The contental breakfast was held in the same building as the chalet, but if you were in the other part of the hotel, you would either have to drive or walk up a very steep hill to get to it.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Below are actual photos of the hotel that we took. As you can see, the photos they post up are definitely not accurate on this website.

Finally, when it came time to checkout, I had to stand for 15 minutes. There was only one desk clerk working and two women just standing there. I thought they were checking out, only to find out they were workers. No one said "May I help you, etc." One that was wearing a Howard Johnson shirt went behind the counter to answer the phone that was ringing off the hook. Finally after I said, I really need to go did the desk clerk get off the phone. They need more than 1 clerk in the mornings, especially on a weekend, to get visitors out of there so they can clean the room.

• Liked — You could see the Ober Gatlinburg Tramway as it went up.
  • Disliked — Everything under the sun....read review for more.
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not book here unti lthey do complete renovations if they ever do them. If it is a last resort, do not get chalet.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
12 Thank grapevineways
Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2006

ok...I am going to be honest. I consider myself to be average... not spoiled. I have spend weeks in a tent. I have also stayed in many 5 star hotels. So really I have seen it all.

The Best Western Fabulous Chalet is no where near 5 star.

Pros: The location is great! just 2 blocks off the main street. So, NO traffic noise, but still close enough to walk into town and see the sights (if you don't mind walking a few blocks). The river view is very nice. Beds are fairly comfortable.
Coffee maker, small fridge, plenty of fresh linen, a nice size closet with hangers. Bathroom was clean. Front desk staff very friendly and helpful. Room had 2 double beds, a 2 seater table with chairs. It was small, but there was just 2 of us. I can't imagine staying in this room with more people.

Cons: ok..here goes...
The floor had dark burgandy carpet and it was more than apparent that it had not been vacuumed in a while. (This was the only issue we had with non-cleanliness).
Water pressure you ask? it was fair at best... but really could have been better.
I woke up at 8:30 to take my shower. Not sure if every one else in the building was doing the same thing but, I had very little hot water. I had to turn the cold water completely OFF to get a meager luke warm shower...not what I was expecting on a 23 degree morning.
No fireplace. This hotel does not give the option of a river front room with a fireplace... you get either/or.
There was no blanket on the bed...Just sheet and bedspread. No blankets in the closet.

I can't say that I would not stay here again. But I would really have to think hard about it. It was ok...if you know what to expect. It's not a 4-5 star resort...but fairly clean and comfortable.

We went to Gburg with no reservation on a pretty busy weekend so our choices were limited.

• Stayed February 2006
9 Thank RNinatl
Lancashire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2005

Our family had stayed at this hotel a couple of times over the past 2-4 years and for our 25th Wedding Anniversary my wife and I re-boooked. We requested our favourite room - it's in the chalet up on the hill, overlooking the pool and with floor to ceiling windows; stayed in that room once before and it was good.
However, upon arrival at the room it was very evident it was filthy. The bath was dirty and had many dead insects in the base. The toilet likewise. Dead cockroaches on the main room carpet. Fridge dirty and smelly. The pool was unusable. Part-filled with green slime and surrounding deck area ripped-up; no loungers. We moved to another room near reception.

The fun really started then. Could we get any kind of meaningful discussion with the owner, Mr Reagan? No chance. He also owns a substantial part of Gatlinburg and is a director of the East Tennessee Bank. This partly explains the Chamber of Commerce and Mayor's Office's reticence in taking any action against his company for breach of contract.
We went to his office, sat there until he was forced to acknowledge us. His attitude was a disgrace to the US Tourism Industry. We'd travelled to the USA every year without fail for 15 years previously - never met any person quite like this 'Southern Gent'

Do Not Stay Here. We never went back to Gatlinburg.

• Stayed June 2003