“Never Again!”
Review of Chalet Inn

Chalet Inn
Ranked #48 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We booked one night at The Fabulous Chalet Inn because it advertised mountain views at a cheap rate, was close to the strip and because the cabin we were going to be staying in for the rest of our trip wasnt available that night. I read over the reviews and saw more bad than good but decided to go ahead and chance it since it was just one night. When we arrived there was one lady working the desk. She was on the phone helping someone make a reservation so we had to wait, which was fine. Another couple came in while we were waiting. When she got off the phone she started to help the other couple, who had came in after us. The gentleman asked if they had rooms available, she stated they did not, but told him they could check their other properties. Mind you the sign out front said vacancies, it showed that all night, and the lower and upper parking lots never got full, so Im not sure if she just didnt want to deal with checking these people in or what. So we finally got checked in. We received no information about check out time, if they served breakfast (some reviews on here said they did but I have no idea) pool hours (some reviews have stated there is 2 pools, one by the office and one up the hill by the chalets. We stayed up the hill and never saw one but as creepy as the place is we didnt really look around either). So we got our keys and drove up the steep hill to our room (room 236). Their is a short set of stairs to go up and then a little porch type area and the front door opens there. The view from the front door is all wooded. When we got in our room I was surprised how big it was. We had a king bed, fridge, fireplace (that you cant use until later in Oct), a sitting area but the fireplace with 2 chairs, balcony overlooking the mountains, and a vanity area seperate from the bathroom, and then the bathroom with another sink, bathtub and shower. The room was very old and outdated, but it looked clean and at first I thought it was actually kinda charming in its own way. It reminded me of an old roadside motel or motor inn. We stepped out on our balcony and the floor felt like it was going to fall in. It was pieces of old looking pieces of wood nailed togather to make up the floor and it popped and cracked the whole time. The view was beautiful but I didnt feel to safe out there. I wouldnt let my husband close the door from the balcony to the room, I was afraid we would get stuck out there! So we headed down to Gatlinburg to enjoy the night. Walking back up that very steep hill after walking around Gatlinburg for hours kinda sucked. We got back in our room, probably around 1030 or so, and our car was still the only vehicle parked around back in the parking area for the chalets on the hill. This kinda creepied me out. Its not lit up very well back there and it seemed like we were the only people even up there. I tried to call the front desk to arrange a wake up call for the next morning but there is no guide telling you what number to call. I assumed maybe it was 0 and i called and the phone rang and rang and nobody ever answered. This made m efeel even more eneasy because now not only do I feel like we are the only people in this part of the hotel, there is also no way to get ahold of the front desk should you have a problem and I seriously doubt this is the type of place that has security on the grounds. My husband and I both took a shower with no problems. The bed was comfortable, no problems there and we actually had a good nights sleep. It so quiet up on the hill that we werent disturbed. The big problem came about the next morning when we got up. It was a Sunday morning, around 0745. My husband got up to use the bathroom and discovered the toilet wouldnt flush. We had not had any trouble with this the night before. He tried calling 0 which went no where, so he called the number listed for this motel on the internet. That call actually went to the 4 Seasons Lodge, another motel in town owned by the same people. They stated that The Fabulous Chalet would not be open till 9. How is a motel closed when they have guests staying there???? My husband hung up the phone. I told him to call back and tell them it was an emergency because I really needed to use our bathroom. He called back and again got the 4 Seasons Lodge and told them what was going on and we needed maintenance immediately. They again stated that our motel didnt open until 9 and they would have to "call someone in" which would take at least 30 min. By this time Im furious! If you are going to run a motel that is this old in this bad of shape I would think you would have maintenance readily available. Plus I have never stayed at a motel thats front desk "closed". So we finished packing and left. Low and behold we get down to the lobby, before 9 which is when we were told they opened, and not only are they open there is about 5 employees just standing around, including a maintenance man!! The desk clerk asked how we were doing and I told him not good and explained the whole situation with the bathroom. He then started telling different ones of the employees standing there to go check out our room to try and fix the problem and they all refused stating it wasnt their job. Finally the "maintenance man" agreed to go look at it, and the front desk clerk acted like he was really helping us out sending him up there. I said we are checking out now, this doesnt help me at all. We needed the help at 0745 this morning. I wasnt told sorry, or anything taken off the bill, what I was told was "Sorry about your bad luck this morning." Bad luck??? Really??? I told him we had planned on possibly staying at this location again, even though its not the best you could do in Gatlinburg by no means, but after all this and the way it was handled we would never be back. He never even acknowledged I said this. We got our receipt for the room (almost 90.00, which the room wasnt even worth that) and left. I will never ever again stay at this motel

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wishy20
Walter Y, General Manager at Chalet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Wow! We are so sorry!

There are newer reviews for Chalet Inn

Reviewed September 16, 2013

It is just far enough away, but, still in walking distance to anything you would want to do in downtown Gatlinburg, TN. The creek rooms are great for a relaxing on the balcony. The rooms in the buildings on the hill are larger and make you feel like you are on the mountain, plus they have a pool up there also and one by the creek side rooms. We plan to stay there again soon.

Room Tip: Rooms in lower building are by the creek, rooms on the hillside are larger and are very quite.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Walter Y, General Manager at Chalet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

We are glad to hear that we were able to make your stay so enjoyable. Thanks for commenting, and come back and see us again soon at Fab Chalet Inn.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Gatlinburg is the opposite of a relaxing vacation but as the opportunity for a great mountain views but way too many people, way way way to many people. I think this is Disneyland for the southern states of America not my cup of tea maybe some people with red on their necks may find this to be ideal. Go to the other parts of the park if you're looking for camping weekend. And why are the volunteers so miserable at the visitor center Gatlinburg visitors center. well I digress the room was mostly clean other than some droppings on our floor during the evening. Maintenance came up check air conditioning very kind people can't expect much more for 50-60 dollars a night.

Room Tip: Go to other parts of the park if you are looking for true nature
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Walter Y, General Manager at Chalet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Well, I guess Gatlinburg is either your cup of tea or it is not. If it is, as you note, Chalet Inn has some great, as in GORGEOUS, mountain views from the three buildings of the upper section. There are also rooms in the lower section that face the river. For many people, it is hard to choose, and also, as you note, the price is right. Thanks for your comments, and if you ever do come back to Gatlinburg, we hope that you will return to stay at the (Fabulous) Chalet Inn.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel is a great value. It is located just off the parkway, about a 3-5min walk which makes it nice because it is away from all the foot traffic and noise. The staff is EXTREMELY nice and helpful. We had the "do not disturb" sign out but the cleaning staff left a bag outside our door with all new towels, soap, toilet paper, and coffee just in case we needed it so we didn't have to go to the desk and get it ourselves. We arrived a little before the normal check in time and they let us get our room because it was ready but would have let us park there if the room was not ready and then call us when it was done which is great. The rooms are basic but do have a fridge. We didn't see and bugs/critters in the room or any evidence of them ever being there. The shower was a little small for me (I am 6'4") but it worked and had hot water quickly so it was good enough for me. If you're looking to stay in a brand new upscale room, you might want to look elsewhere. But if you're looking for a clean room with basic accommodations at a great price in a great location, this is definitely the place for you. I will absolutely stay here for our future Gatlinburg trips.

• Stayed: August 2013
Walter Y, General Manager at Chalet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay! Thanks for commenting and come back soon to the (Fabulous) Chalet Inn!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were riding our motorcycle on vacation and wanted lodging within walking distance of downtown Gatlinburg, so we chose Fabulous Chalet Inn based on the positive reviews we read. We booked a king suite at the top of the hill because we were intrigued by the view everyone raved about. The gentleman who checked us in was very gracious and offered helpful information about places to park our motorcycle. When we got to our room, the view of Mount LaConte was indeed fabulous, or at least it would've been if we could've seen it. The two huge windows overlooking the balcony were so dirty you couldn't see the mountain for the grime. The cleaning staff was still in the building, so I asked someone to please come clean the windows. The young man who came in agreed that the windows definitely needed cleaning, and the view was very nice once the windows were clean. The carpet was very stained and could've used a good cleaning, too, but other than that the room was clean. The following evening we returned to our room late and as we prepared to take a shower, we discovered that our used soap had been removed when the room was cleaned that day, but no soap was left to replace it. We had to bathe with shampoo. The next afternoon when we returned to the room, we had not had ANY maid service even though I had hung the maid service placard on the doorknob. I called the front desk, and the lady who answered said she didn't know why our room had not been serviced. I told her that we had no soap and only one clean towel. She told me they had those things in the front office and we could come get it or she could send it to us. I asked her to please send it up. In a while we heard a knock on the door, and a bag was left with towels and toiletries. Maybe we stayed at a bad time, but our stay DID NOT compare to the reviews we read.

Room Tip: If you're thinking of staying here, ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Walter Y, General Manager at Chalet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thanks for your feedback. We are very sorry that everything seems to have fallen apart during your stay.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary, last weekend, by traveling to Gatlinburg, a place neither of us had ever been. We weren't exactly sure what to expect when we first pulled in, but were very pleasantly surprised. Our room was larger than anticipated. The fireplace and wood paneling on the walls gave it a rustic cabin-like feel. But the best part was the balcony with the view of the mountains. My husband and I lounged on the balcony at dusk and late into the evening and experienced the morning mountain air from that balcony. The room was reasonably priced and located close enough to all of the shops, restaurants, etc., but far enough away where there was not too much foot traffic. We enjoyed our stay at Fabulous Chalet Inn and we plan to stay there again on our next trip!

• Stayed: July 2013

Thanks for your review. We are very glad when folks enjoy their stay as you did. We hope that you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Only stayed here one night but my husband and I absolutely loved it and definitely plan to stay here next year! We had been at day's inn and after checking out decided to stay another night and so glad we didn't stay at day's inn again! Great staff and beautiful view at Fabulous Chalet!!!

Room Tip: Stay in the rooms up on the hill. Very peaceful and a great view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you will indeed return and stay with us again soon here at at the Fabulous Chalet Inn.