“Lovely Early Thanksgiving & Christmas Family Trip”

Zoders Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Port Orange, Florida
“Lovely Early Thanksgiving & Christmas Family Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed with a large group in three rooms. Two on the creek & 1 in the tower. It was nice to have a full kitchen in the tower for our pre thanksgiving feast but my boyfriend & I loved being on the creek. We kept the sliding door open as much as we could to hear the creek. The heated tile in the bathroom was an added luxury especially after a long cold hike in the park!

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony that jutted out over the creek which made the creekside view even more...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Grace_Kellar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Mebane, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I recently wrote a review but had it removed since I was not done with the trip & more misfortune happened. My wife & I traveled to Gatlinburg for a late fall vacation. Front desk staff was very cold & emotionless. Don't get the wrong impression of this city... EVERYWHERE in Gatlinburg or PF we went people were overly friendly & really nice. Still the staff were not mean, just not the hospitality that you would expect. We went to the room & were shocked that this was suppose to be a renovated room. Wall paper pealing off the wall, floor area between bed & front door had our socks dirty so walking to the bathroom you didn't want to go barefoot. Bathroom had not been touched with an update in 20 years. However when you open the door you have a beautiful river view. Very nice except having people directly across from you, but oh well, it was still nice. The HVAC was a problem. Always had to wake up and cut it off & all the way back on to get it to actually cut on. Didn't realize it wasn't working until we woke up pouring sweat or freezing. We never reported this cause the mountains was such great temp. that we never really had a problem until night time. Parking & driving can be VERY tight. A large portion of this hotel is only equipped to handle one vehicle at a time. Also while staying here, late at night cars were parking anywhere they could find a space. We didn't notice this until we were leaving out early in the morning after our last (horrible) night.

Night one we kept the above window open to enjoy the river while we slept. Really nice waking up to that. However sucks waking up in middle of night to re-adjust the HVAC to actually cut on.

Night two, the camp/picnic area 6 to 7 rooms down from us & on the other side of the river had a fire going. Smoke kept filling the room. Later that night they left & was eventually able to open the window.

This is when I originally reviewed this hotel. After our third & final night I had to ask trip advisory to remove the post so I could update with a more accurate review. This is where in my opinion a 2.5 out of 5 drops to a 1.

Night three, very similar to night two smoke was filling our room. A little annoyed with the lack of consideration for other guest but I know I would want to enjoy the fire possibly if I was with a large number of friends. 12:30 am, party still going on & the noise was so loud we heard it with our doors/windows closed (Keep in mind we are 6 - 7 rooms down & across the river). Also keep in mind this is our last night & we wanted a good night sleep before leaving out in the morning. I called to the front desk & told the man at the front desk the issue, "loud noise coming from the patio area & my wife & I couldn't sleep." his response was "Well I don't know, I guess I'll see if I can do something about it". WHAT!?!?!?!? This is not a proper response to this situation. It's after midnight & this is a hotel, I wouldn't expect a response like this from a hotel we paid $39 a night at, especially one like this. The proper response to a PAYING customer would be "Yes Sir, I'm on it" or how even a simple "I'll check it out". The man seemed afraid of a confrontation. We eventually dosed off, but I have NEVER in my life been so close to leaving in the middle of the night. When I checked out, the woman at the front desk, cold as usual, never asked how our stay was. In fact, she barely even spoke to me. A worthless hotel that Best Western should be ashamed to have their name attached to. Over the past five years I've stayed in over 10 different hotels, none of which were very high end ($50 - $140 a night) & this is in my honest opinion the absolute worst. I will return to the smokey mountains however I'll never step foot on this property again. The river view just isn't worth it.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel. There are many others in the area I've stayed in that were better, c...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank james8396
ZodersMgmt, General Manager at Zoders Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Ms. James8396:
Thank you for your review. Here at Zoder's Inn & Suites, we strive to make every guest stay enjoyable. I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. I would have been glad to have spoken to you regarding the issues had before you checked out with us, as I like to resolve problems while a guest is here. Again, thank you for your review. Respectfully, Jamie Holland General Manager
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

This place is a little old and good use some updating. With said, it is very clean and well maintained. There is a creek that runs behind the rooms so you can sit out on the balcony and watch the stream and relax; really enjoyed that. Location is good; out of the high traffic area and there is couple of restaurants within a block or two. WIFI is slow.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David H
Suwanee, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We have been staying at Zoder's over the MLK Weekend for 15-20 years. The staff at the front desk, especially Jaime and Carla are always responsive and helpful. Caesar, the resident talking parrot in the front office is a big hit with young and old alike. They have three included snack/meals...a decent but typical breakfast assortment, wine & cheese in the evening and later for cookies & milk. Mrs. Woody, who runs the food bar/recreation building has been there for 35 years and is always a pleasure to speak with and most helpful. The housekeeping staff are always friendly and helpful. The indoor heated pool with waterfall and whirlpool makes it a great family place. Also in the Rec building are two racquetball courts and exercise equipment. The Tower Suites are excellent for 2 families and sleeps 8. There are also suites for those who want a separate bedroom. My only complaint for the last few years is that they have been upgrading remodeling rooms for a couple of years, and those include new flat-screen TV's in regular lower priced rooms. It makes more business sense to me to replace the old heavy TV's that have terrible pictures with new flat-screens in the more expensive rooms such as the Tower Suites and Executive Suites, especially with TV's being priced so low nowadays as families gather in the Suites to share televised ball games, etc. Those Suites are in need of furniture replacement and upgrading/remodeling as things look worn and furniture sags. Right in the heart of the city and just a short ride to Pigeon Forge. This is a family run hotel on six acres that has been there for 70 years that recently broke off their relationship with Best Western which I believe was a smart move. We were saddened to hear that the son of the original owner, Lin Zoder suddenly passed away the week before. Zoder's remains in the family as the grandchildren of the original owners have taken over.

Room Tip: All units with balconies over the streams are great, some more quiet than others especially those on...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Maryville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

We had a great stay. This place is wonderful. The room was bigger then most apartments. We went for New Years Eve with another couple. We had one room for all 4 of us, but each couple had their own room and bathroom. The creek running through the place was wonderful. I wish it would have been warmer we would have left the sliding door open to hear the creek. Maybe next time. They served wine and cheese between 5-7 pm that was great. The indoor pool looked inviting, but it was cold outside and we were there to celebrate New Years Eve, again maybe next time.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Tower Suite and shared the expenses with another couple which made it less expensiv...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan S
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Good value for the money but I wouldn't go there again because the place looks old.
This place sit on top of a nice river but the rooms and the service looks out dated.
Very poor breakfast, pathetic cookies and milk time.
The kitchen was well equipped and we got big nice room to fit 2 families.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Moti B
Louisville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I decided to book a hotel in Gatlinburg at the last minute for New Year's Eve 2013. Most hotels were booked, but this one still had 1 room left. Although it was more than what I normally pay, I decided it was worth it not to get a DUI. I was actually very happy with my room. I had a 2nd floor with a balcony & it also had a small fridge & a coffee maker. The room was clean and the hard floors seemed to be heated, although I doubt they were. They also had a free breakfast, but I didn't make it. The only negative was the parking. It was so packed that night that I couldn't park near my room, but it was only a short walk to my truck. All in all, I was very pleased & I would definitely recommend them.

Room Tip: I would choose a room that overlooks the stream. Hearing the water was very relaxing.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo