“Didn't Get Robbed...Didn't Get Sleep, Either”

Motel 6 Gatlinburg Smoky Mountains
Ranked #55 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Fort Campbell, Kentucky
“Didn't Get Robbed...Didn't Get Sleep, Either”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Pulling into the hotel, our stomach sank. It is directly across from what is apparently run-down apartments, and is not the cleanest area. It is at the end of the strip, and is off the strip just a hair when looking at a map, but when driving the actual road, it is like driving into another world. Upon our arrival at Motel 6 Gatlinburg Smoky Mountains, we had have the staff give us a replacement set of keys before we were even able to unlock our room, as the first set was not programmed correctly. Then upon entering, we were required to kill multiple bugs that were flying around. We booked a King bed, and there was a huge empty space between the bed and a wall with exposed wires to the phone, where a couch or table could have been placed. We wore socks on our visit, and upon waking up, I discovered just how filthy the floor was - my white sock's bottom was literally black! These complaints are in relation to things I believe should be standard when entering a hotel room. My family and I were lucky enough to get a military discount, and did not have to pay full price, but I was also not impressed that the hotel charges such a high fee and doesn't even have upgraded televisions with decent channels, or accessible Wi-Fi. We were going to extend our vacation, but the lack of these accommodations prevented us from doing so. We could not use our computer for more than 1-2 minutes max (literally), without the internet cutting off. On the first night, I had asked what we would have to do to extend our stay there (which was before we discovered how bad it was at this facility), and was told we would have to move rooms that night to another room for our original 2-night stay and pay an additional $20, then move again for the third night. Since we couldn't used the internet to find another hotel, we ended up coming home as scheduled, and was no loss, but had it been for business or something other than leisure, it could have been hectic.

Room Tip: If you wish to see your vehicle from your room, you may want to request it at the time of booking, a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Birmingham
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I travel a lot on my motorcycle and I am always looking for a nice, cheap place to stay and Motel 6 can always be counted on to be affordable. This Motel 6 can be a little hard to find and they do not have a night staff but they will make arrangements for an after hours check in with a reservation. This Motel 6 is one of the cleanest, quietest, I have ever stayed in. I will stay her whenever I am riding through the Smoky Mountains.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

I only chose to stay here because they are one of the very few hotels in Gatlinburg that allow pets. But the hotel is at the very end of the strip back in the back surrounded by nothing but woods & lots of abandoned motels. No dog walk, only a little path in back of hotel in the woods. Not safe. The room was clean but needed some improvements. Water pressure was terrible. Not much above a trinkle. Tub very slow to drain. Phone & info card in room said Red Roof Inn. Girl at check in was very nice. I would probally not stay there again due to location & lack of amenities. Plus cheaper rooms with better amenities on the strip

• Stayed May 2014
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Lenoir, North Carolina
Reviewed May 17, 2014

When we arrived I was disappointed in the location of the motel. I felt like someone had stuck an older motel between another older motel and houses. It just seemed very cramped to me. I did however like the fact that I could bring my pets and there was no fee for bringing them. The room we stayed in was nice and clean. The young lady at the front desk for very nice and helpful. However, I was disappointed in the balcony. The balcony overlooked a wooded area and a parking lot of another hotel. Although you could bring your pets, there was really no grassy area for them to play or do their business. They had a trail in the woods to walk your pet but I did not feel comfortable doing so. Plus, the trail was located on the opposite side of the motel that our room was on. The ice machine that the guest were suppose to use was broken so we had to walk on the opposite side of the motel to get any snacks, ice or drinks. When I did walk to the opposite side of the motel, I tried to get a drink and the drink machine was broken. There was no hair dryers, shampoos, etc..The bathroom was extremely small. For our entire visit, it sounded as if someone was running and jumping up and down on the floor above us....it made for a long sleepless night. Overall, if your looking for a cheap place to stay for a night and somewhere just to lay your head down, stay here. I don't think I will be booking this motel again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Natasha R
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We enjoyed our stay together with three children in two rooms. Friendly staff, located only 5 mins walk from Ober Gatlinburg Ski resort. Old but clean. I would not hesitate to book it again. Free WiFi!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Bernhard F
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

I waited to write thisreview until after our stay. This is an older motel but is very clean with great hospitality. We had a problem of blowing a fuse while having the lights and tv on while trying to use the microwave. The lady at the front desk fixed the problem right away with no fuss at all. We stayed 3 nights and our room was cleaned every single day when we got back. The only down side is there is no shampoo provided and no hair dryer. So don't forget to bring those if you need them. Otherwise it's a great low priced place to stay while in Gatlinburg! !!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Scott M
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Honestly, we were thrilled when we first got there. Lovely "new girl" at the front desk gave us advice, worked with us to give us a room we liked and when I asked if it was possible for us to check out later than the 11am check out, she said no problem you can check out at one. So we relaxed and enjoyed our evening and followed her lovely advice on things to do. When the phone started ringing at 11am the next day from both housekeeping and the EXTREMELY rude snotty Indian girl at the front desk telling us we needed to leave asap! I explained we were told we could leave at one (check in is at 3pm) she said we HAD to leave sooner they had to clean the room before the next guests (really you need more than 2 hours to clean ONE room??). Then threatened to charge us for another night. Called and called and called AGAIN! I had told her the first time she called could we have a little bit to shower and pack up...please?? I couldn't believe how incredibly rude she was!! When I went into the front desk to ask for her managers information and that I'd never been treated so badly at a hotel she barely let me get a word out, kept interrupting me and yelling over the top of me trying to speak. If you want to be treated worse than any other experience be sure to stay here...she even referred to the sweet new girl that helped us that "big fat new girl"....really?? What a little b**tch!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Meghan K

Travelers are raving about these Gatlinburg hotels