“"My home away from home"”

Marshall's Creek Rest Motel
Ranked #30 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have traveled to Gatlinburg, TN many times for vacation. My last time was with my parents who always stay at Marshall's Creek Rest Motel. I enjoy staying there simply because it is a small family-owned motel that is not trying to be anything fancy, just a good place to stay. It reminds me of when I was a little boy and we traveled. In the 60's, all the motels were basically like this, prior to the large chain hotels coming to more rural areas. The rooms are simple but clean. There is a refrigerator, microwave and nice flat screen TV in the rooms. The staff is always ready to help out. The other guests are most likely to be seen sitting in front of their rooms in the chairs provided so people can get to meet each other. That part I like. If you like a simple, clean, somewhat "retro" experience, this place is for you.

Room Tip: The rooms we we stayed in had 2 beds, but there was an adjoining room available for a small fee so 3...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tony N

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I used to visit Gatlinburg, often. We used to stay at the Park Vista. Well, we haven't been in 9 years, Since then, Park Vista has been updated....along with their prices. Too much, just for a room to sleep in, which is all you're going to need it for when staying in Gatlinburg. So, I went to Trip Advisor to take a look at what some folks had to say about some other places. Everybody had great things to say about Marshall's, and there were a few photos posted by previous guests. Marshall's looks like the kind of motels that my family stayed in when we travelled the U.S. when I was a kid, so, I thought it would be kind of cool to let our young son experience that on his first trip to Gatlinburg. We didn't know what to really expect, but I can tell you this much, Marshall's far exceeded our expectations. The staff is wonderful. The owners are wonderful. The place is spotlessly clean. It is quiet and relaxing and only a few blocks off of the main drag in Gatlinburg. It's a short walk from the motel to the main drag, and you come out smack dab in the middle of the main drag. This place is great. I would put in more positive comments, but, I don't want all of you rushing to book here, as we will be back and we don't want all of the rooms taken up. As far as I'm concerned, Marshall's is the ONLY place that we will stay during our future trips to Gatlinburg. We stayed 6 nights for LESS than we would have paid for just 2 nights at the Park Vista!!! What a super value, and, no phones, no wi-fi, just a nice, quiet, clean place to relax. That's what a vacation should be. Unplug and unwind. That's exactly what we did. Marshall's is perfect.

Room Tip: Book as far in advance as you can. There are only 20 rooms and the place is always full.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MissouriTravelFamily
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Our family has been staying here on and off for the last 50 years. Always clean, pleasant and everything in working order. Think the same family has owned it for 3 generations. Close to downtown too. Older motel with no internet or breakfast, but the coffees always hot in the morning!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PTCruisin2009
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed here for a night during spring break and just loved it. You truly feel you have been time warped into in 1955. The screen door, the light over your room when you arrive, the little shelf between the beds for the phone long gone, all very charming. My only disappointment is they require a 3 night minimum stay starting in May, so we can't stay here for weekend summer get-a-ways. If you want brand new everything, then this is not your place, but if you want to experience a place that has been well kept and lets you see how your parents use to vacation, then this place is for you.

Room Tip: They all look like good rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We were so pleased to find that Marshall's Creek had a room available for our stay during Thanksgiving week. It is an older hotel without all the whistles. It doesn't have the internet - no problem - if you are on vacation, who wants it. Be sure to bring your own shampoo and blow dryer. Only drawback of the hotel - you can hear muffled sounds of the guests staying beside you. The rooms are very basic but very clean. Great location. I enjoyed my stay so much that I came back the next weekend with my sisters, brothers and mom. We booked four rooms! Can't wait to come back in the summer...the outdoor pool looks great.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank penny412
Reviewed October 9, 2012

They require 15 DAYS notice or you will be charged. Other than that the motel is a quirky, different place to stay - screen doors, porches, etc. It’s certainly not updated, but neither are their prices. Wood paneling doesn't bother me when paying $50 a night. The room was clean and close to the main drag through Gatlinburg.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank OnTheNarrowRoad
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent two nights at Marshall's Creek at loved it! The rooms were extremely clean and we loved the room. We stayed in #19 and it was at the end of the motel so we had the creek right beside our room. We could hear it when we opened the windows! I would highly recommend this motel to everyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family