“Great location, nothing else special”

Gatlinburg Town Village
Ranked #57 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at this property and the location was great in that you can get to roaring forks before the crowds, plus it is at the end of gatlinburg close to the park. The room was small, appliances and tv are old and the place is in desperate need of an update. I bet the Hampton inn is nicer, probably not the super eight next door.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ted R

Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I love the shops here. The stores are small but offer a variety of many different items not found at regular stores. All the shop owners/ employees were very nice and courteous. We had the best tiramisu flavored hot chocolate there.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Annie27t
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I am a Hilton Grand Vacations Member and exchanged my points through RCI to stay here for three nights in a Studio. It was extremely small. There were NO DRAWERS for clothing. Only a small closet with cheap shelving to place folded clothes. I had to empty the kitchen utensil drawer to make room for my undergarments. The room smelled old and moldy. By the second night, I had to purchase allergy medicine. The scene from our window was the side of the next building. And if this wasn't enough, the guest register office is on the other side of the street, four to five buildings down!! On the plus side, the room did appear clean, and it is evident that the company tried to update its furnishings; however, the pillows were very cheap and flat, and the blanket was the scratchy type one might buy at a dollar store. The bathroom was clean, but old. The plug to the tub was not attached, but lay on the side of the tub. It took forever to get the hot water 'down' to our room, but once it made it, the shower pressure was fine. If I had to rate this hotel using a star rating, I wouldn't give it more than a 2 star, and that's being kind. We won't be returning, nor will we waste any more points on such a disappointing facility.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Allen531
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We recently stayed at Summer Bay Town Village Inn in Gatlinburg, and from the reviews we read, we were concerned that we might not be able to stay there. I called the motel and talked with the front desk clerk, and she tried to relieve my anxieties. She was correct in her representation. We found the three nights there to be very enjoyable. The staff, (the desk clerks, house keeping, and maintenance personnel) were very friendly and helpful. When we got there, we checked the room out, and the only thing we saw that we needed was more towels. I called the front desk and asked for more. The desk clerk said she would see that we got some but it might be a little while because they were very busy checking everyone in, but in less than five minutes, the maid showed up with more towels. The TV was coming in and out, so we called the desk again and told them about the TV. They said they would have maintenance to check it. Very shortly, the maintenance man came by and said that there was something wrong with the cable and that Charter was working on it. It was nothing wrong with the motel's TV. We called back later, and they said that the cable people were still working on it. The next morning we talked with the Charter Cable guys, and they said the problem should be fixed within an hour, and it was. This was the only problem we encountered, and it was not the motel's fault or Charter's; things just tear up sometimes. We found the room to be very clean. It was not luxurious by any means, but it was fine. The maids came in and cleaned every day and left a very adequate number of clean towels. We were there once when the maid came in, and she did a great job of cleaning and was very friendly and accommodating. My husband chatted with the desk clerks often when he went to sit in the rocking chairs out front, and they were very nice. It was a great weekend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cassie S
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Well, let me start with something positive. The location is the best part about this hotel and the hotel staff we very nice and helpful. These two things are the only reason I gave this hotel 3 stars. Beyond that I'd be hard-pressed to give it two.

We are actually owners at Summer Bay in Orlando, and have been for more than 10 years, but we were asked to come to Gatlinburg for an "Owners Update", and we all know that means they want us to upgrade. (We did not upgrade) Of course, we were given an incentive and that was fine. The problem was where they put us....at the Town Village. With being owners you would have thought they would have put us at the Resort if they wanted us to spend more money.

This is how it went. We arrived late, around 8:00 p.m. I had called, as instructed, and let them know we would arrive late so that wasn't a problem. The woman at the desk was great. Actually, everyone we came in contact with was very nice and helpful. We were given rooms on the second floor. Got our bags out of the car and went to the elevator and it was "OUT OF ORDER". There was caution tape all around it. We were there for 4 days and it stayed "OUT OF ORDER" the entire time and we never saw anyone attempting any repairs. So we walked up the stairs. There is carpet outdoors in front of all the rooms that is beyond NASTY. They'd be better off pulling up all the carpet and just having concrete outside. That would be easier to maintain. Got to our room and opened the door. The room was huge but it smelled terribly of moisture. I never felt comfortable walking in bare feet in the room. There was a gas fireplace in the room, which was really nice, so we used it to try and dry out the room. Of course, it only worked when the fireplace was on. The decor is rather outdated but not appalling. There was a small refrigerator and microwave in the room. The bathroom was only semi-clean. I ended up wiping down the counters and other areas that were dusty and dirty. There were plenty of towels which we were grateful for. Since this is a "hotel" and not a condo, one would expect to have the room serviced. You know, bed made, clean towels, etc. Well, we came out of our room the next morning and there was someone with housekeeping at another room and she asked us if we were doing OK or if we "needed" anything and we said no, that we were fine. Well, that was her queue that she didn't need to do anything to our room, so she didn't. The next day we found clean towels in our room but the bed was never touched the entire time we were there.

Like I said, the best part about this place is the location, and the people that work there. We could basically walk anywhere we wanted from the hotel. After the first day we did drive down to the end of the street and park because we were able to get back to our car easily and drop off packages from our shopping venture. Even with all of the convenience, I'm sorry to say, we probably wouldn't go back to this hotel. We will go back to Gatlinburg!

Room Tip: I'm not sure I can give any tips for a good room at this hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pcolagrandma
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I was scared after reading the reviews, but it wasn't too bad. We booked through the Armed Forces Vacation Club which was an easy process. Our room was located in the motel-style building at the end but that provided privacy for us and the other 2 families. They were in end units with a separate bedroom and large fridge. We had a studio with small fridge in the dinette area. The studio is plenty large for a couple but not so much if there is a 3rd/4th person sleeping on the pull-out couch. We had to rearrange the couch and that gave us a lot more room. There were no amenities in our building but we were able to walk down the street about 1/2 block to the other property and use the pool and fitness room there. The fitness room had 1 bike and 1 treadmill and one of those "total gym"-type pieces of equipment. Pretty sad actually. We didn't use the pool but it is kept locked during closed hours. The location is great. It's about 1/2 mile down the street to the main shopping street but about a 3 mile walk back up the street :-) . Plus, just behind the street is an entrance to the national park. It's a 10-15 min drive to Pigeon Forge and the shows/attractions over there.

Room Tip: Find out which building the room is in. The motel style building is good for groups who may be a li...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank cynthia z
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We recently stayed at the Gatlinburg Townsquare Summer Bay Resort using an Interval Int. exchange.
I have been using timeshare exchanges for over 10 years and this was the worst experience I have
ever had. The front desk/check in staff were the most rude and unhelpful front desk I have ever encountered.
Specifically, Becky has no business dealing with the public and has no people skills.
The parking facility is totally unacceptable, especially for anyone handicapped. Out of more than 150 spots
there are only 6 hndcp. spots and 2 of them arn't even close to the elevators. All of the parking spots
are so narrow, you cannot get in and out if cars are parked on both sides.
We were in a 2 bdr.unit and the living room TV had bad speakers with lots of static, kitchen stove burners
not working, shower drips all the time, and clothesdryer was so noisey that we could not hear TV or
carry on a conversation. We also kept getting bit if any bare skin was exposed while sitting on the
couch and we never saw any bedbugs but we think there must be mites or something on the couch
or carpet. I think my biggest complaint was the lack of concern and who cares attitude of any staff
person we had contact with. There must be terrible upper management at this resort and it was the
most unfriendly customer service I have ever experienced at a timeshare. I would never recommend
this place to anyone and if you want a pleasant stay this is not the place.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple