“Great place but need some updating.”

Days Inn Gatlinburg on the River
Ranked #45 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed December 29, 2010

We checked in with no problems. Went to our room and it wasn't bad at all. Room was clean, AC was cold, fridge worked, and it was what it is a older Days Inn. Honestly this place is great. Some reviews give it bad marks but I think some people expect the Ritz for Days Inn rates. You can tell it is an older hotel that need updating but it is clean and perfect for what we needed. Breakfast was a joke. So we ate out for breakfast but other than that we had no problems. View was great. Will stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kjun_mtn_lover

Reviewed December 15, 2010

The location of this hotel was beautiful.However, the hotel itself was nasty. That really took away from the beauty of the location.The carpet smelled like dirt, and they tried to cover it up with some mango scented stuff in the vacumn cleaner. The carpets needed a deep cleaning. I had to close my nose and run to my room every time we entered the hallways.The faucet in my room dripped and the hall light in front of my door was out. The balcony had spiders webs with spiders all over it. I was afraid to sit out on my balcony to enjoy the view. The staff, however, was very accommodating. I would not stay here again, unless they deep clean the place.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank caredoo
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Pro - We were looking for a room with a nice view of the river, Got a Great View of the River, We were looking for a nice fireplace with an adequate wood supply, We got a Great fire place with plenty of wood and fire starter provided. The room was clean and well cared for. Small Frig and Microwave provided. Good size TV with Good channel selection. Good Internet hookup speed. Staff was helpful and friendly. Price was right for time of year and day of week.
Con – Hot tub was not working (why they did not get 5 stars)

All in All we will be checking them first when we travel back to Gatlinburg very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GunnyP
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 10 days. The room was really clean, no odors. The beds were ok, but then again we like soft beds which you can not find in a hotel. The only complaint I would have is the bath faucet would spray all over you if you weren't careful and the hallways could use a little up dateing, ie carpet and walls need come fixing. The view was great and the sound of the river drowned out the traffic. Shuttle stops right in front of the hotel which was great and super cheap.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank 1800scostumer
Reviewed November 8, 2010

View from balcony was great, unlimited firewood in each room. It's a little shabby...a lot of unprofessional repairs done throughout, old lingering cigarette odors. Room itself was clean, beds were comfy. Walls are thin...we were woken up at 3:30 a.m. (when bars closed, I'm guessing) by very noisy wedding party, but they settled down after we called manager. Killed three brown recluse spiders in our room...one was crawling down hubby's back. Breakfast isn't great, slim pickins. Front desk clerk was a little rude, don't ask for extra anything, even a garbage bag. Out of detergent at front desk, which was unfortunate...we were traveling with a carsick 2 year old. Wouldn't even give me a handful from the maid's closet. Long walk to the attractions (~3/4 mile from aquarium), but we kind of liked being away from the crowds.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank AmandaPanda378
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Located at the beginning of Gatlinburg downtown....little bit of walk about 10 minutes.....nice if you want to take a quick trip and save some money......nice stream out front....could heart at night with window open....I will say it's difficult to get out at the caution light as you turn on property. I would stay there again to save money and spend it elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank edjesl
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We have stayed here many, many times. It's our favorite inexpensive motel in Gatlinburg. Living less than 2 hrs away, we go here ALOT.
This motel used to be owned by the Rocky Waters Inn, located in front of it, directly on the Parkway. Days Inn purchased it a couple of years ago. They have done some updating recently, and I thought it was noteworthy to review it again.
The motel was probably built in the 50's, it's a bit dated in construction, but its newly refurbished rooms are actually quite nice. No more worn or musty carpets, now some of the rooms have new laminate floors, some are new carpet. Newer furniture, and redone bathroom fixtures are a welcome addition. The water temp was a little touchy this time, but it was morning so maybe that was just lots of people trying to shower...Kind of fluctuating, at least there was plenty of hot water!
The old, timeworn, light blue balcony chairs that still grace the Rocky Waters Inn rooms have been replaced with new plastic adirondack chairs. Whatever, they work for me.

The occasional musty odor is gone, it's now much fresher, no more old smell.
I called to make sure they still have the fireplaces working in season, I was told Yes, they do, it's $10 extra a night. Fine with me! The firewood was free before, I don't know about now, I forgot to ask.

The lobby was fresh and clean, the breakfast area was well stocked with simple Continental style offerings, and places to sit.

This is a simple no nonsense motel with a great location and good for a getaway. If you are looking for more luxury or amenities, you might want to look down the Parkway a bit. This is perfect for us, away from the hustle of the downtown parkway, but close enough to walk to it.
The creek is the reason we stay here, and it's wonderful to leave the balcony door open at night and feel the breeze and hear the water.
I will mention that it is right across the creek to the Parkway, so you do hear some traffic going by, but nothing that's too annoying. This end of town is pretty tame compared to the downtown.

Also, since it's a Days Inn now, we earn points on our Wyndham Rewards every time we stay, towards free nights. A nice bonus...

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple