“Big Clean Rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gillette Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Gillette Motel
Ranked #30 of 84 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Rising Fawn, Georgia
“Big Clean Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I recently stayed at the Gillette, and was very pleased. I had stayed at another hotel on my recent trips, and the GIllette was about $30 more per night. $90, over $60. But the room was very big, and very clean. Navigating to the room was complicated because of the weird configuration of the hotel and you had to walk on an uncovered bridge to get from one side of the hotel to the other. I was attending a conference at the convention center and this hotel was very convenient. There are only 3 or 4 hotels that could be this close. I was hoping they could give me a break on the price, but they were not interested in that. The room was simple but spacious. But I didn't want to pay $90, if it had been $75 this would be a 5 and 4 review.

Its worth staying in. It did feel considerably bigger and cleaner than the hotel where I have usually stayed. Was that worth $30? maybe so.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for New Year's Eve and Day, and we really enjoyed our stay. The Gillette is an older motel (my mom can remember staying there when she was in her teens), but it has been VERY well kept all these years. Some of the furniture and carpets look dated, but it's just in style and not wear.

We booked our room a bit last minute, so we got a two queen room. One bed was large enough for us, and it was fairly comfy. We used the second bed for storage, though there is enough space around the room for luggage and other travel necessities. The room was very clean and toiletries and towels were replenished each day.

The wireless internet wasn't a problem to connect to, and I liked that we had a mini-fridge and microwave. The walls of the room were a bit thin, and I could hear the man in the next room snoring during the night.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of this hotel is the short distance to everything in downtown Gatlinburg. We were literally a two minute walk from the Space Needle, so we got to see the great fireworks display for New Year's without having to fight the crowd! On New Year's Day, even though it was cold and rainy, we still walked the streets for a couple hours because we knew the hotel was so close and the room would be toasty when we returned.

Parking wasn't a problem, and we were able to get a space right in front of our room. Since we didn't have to drive anywhere, it was nice to load and unload our stuff right there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here for days over the New Years holiday. This hotel is in a perfect location. It is within a block of the Space Needle and within walking distance to most everything in downtown Gatlinburg. The hotel is American family owned and operated. The office staff are some of the most helpful and friendly folks I have encountered during our travels. The hotel is an older hotel but it has been very well maintained. The housekeeping staff does an excellent job in keeping the place immaculate. They told us that they use the white cotton bed spreads so that they can bleach them to keep them sanitary. I don't know of any other hotel that does this! If you want to stay in the downtown Gatlinburg this is definately a good value for the money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank GADAWG227
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

i have stayed here many times over the thirty years or so. if you plan a trip to gatlinburg, tn , this is a reasonable family run motel. it is only blocks from all of the main attractions . the civic center is just down the street, and always has something going on. the rooms at the gillette are clean and the staff is there always there to assit you. the best part is you can leave that car parked and either walk or take the troller. and stay out of any traffic congestion.

Room Tip: some look at the mountains and some look at the town. your choice.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank robert w
Franklin, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Clean and very nice customer service are the only real compliments I can give this motel. It was old and very dated. I felt the price was far too expensive for the product. It was $120 a night and I know for a fact you can get far cheaper rooms in nicer and more updated hotels. If they would take a bit off the price they might have more people stay there. It was a ghost town when we were there the last week of June.
And speaking of ghost towns: after we came home, I "googled" (to no avail) to see if anyone has ever reported a ghostly encounter at this hotel. Why? Because we did. We awoke from a dead sleep to our 8 year old son yelling that a lady was in the room and she was going into the bathroom area. He was so adamant that my husband had to get up and check. At the same time I looked up to see a man standing by the wall at the foot of the bed. I simply assumed a mirror was hanging on the wall and it was reflecting a picture of an old fashioned dressed fellow into it. Morning came and I realized this was impossible. Did I see a ghost? I think yes. And my son is still 100% positive of what he saw as well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank GrooviGirl
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My rate for this room was low and fair. I was pleased with how friendly and genuinely helpful the staff of this family-operated motel were to me when I made my reservation and upon check-in. My room was simple, nothing fancy, (definitely an older and budget decor) but clean and fit the bill for a one-nighter in Gatlinburg. I didn't need much. This is not a place to stay for luxuriating in the room, or hoping for lots of freebies, but it's perfect for a tidy dependable place where you feel safe and can be at the Gatlinburg Convention Center (across the street) in one minute or walk just a few blocks to be in the heart of the main strip. There's a small fridge and microwave in even the smallest rooms. That's always a plus. It is right next to the fire department - see photo. I've seen (and heard) two emergency vehicles since I've been here, but it's not bothered me at all. It actually has improved my feeling safe and sound. Based on previous trips to Gatlinburg - just not having to catch a humid, crowded trolley to go anywhere and being in the perfect spot to walk wherever - I'm happy. They also said I can leave my car after check out for the day while I'm at the Convention Center. Perfect. :) They're nice people - give this place a try. I will return for Gatlinburg trips when I need to be in the middle of things and want a dependable and affordable place to stay the night.

Room Tip: I liked being on the street level to park and walk right in - there are some that you go up outdoor...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Old outdated 60's 70's style beds, furniture, accessories, carpet, and lighting. Shower head awkward, old, and terribly hard to get a normal water temperature. Location is very good. I found it tolerable at $120 for two nights that I paid in advance... UNTIL I was informed that it was $120 a night upon checkout and had to pay again. I will never stay there again!

• Stayed October 2011