“Mountian escape, out of Gatlinburg hussle & bussle...private.”

The Lodge at Buckberry Creek
Ranked #1 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My Husband and I have stayed several times at The Lodge at Buckberry Creek and have loved it every time. Best food in Gatlinburg area and by far the nicest, most peaceful stay in the area. Beautiful mountain views, and absolutely stunning river/pavilion area...we hiked down at a staff members suggestion and are so glad we did, lovely hike down, beautiful creek, great fire pit and covered porch area, would be stunning for a wedding reception or party at night...best part was the ride back up provided by the Lodge's 4x4 vehicles. We had some dietary restrictions the chef worked with smoothly, dinner was wonderful (loved the duck!). Staff is always top-notch and friendly, really make the stay. To top it off rooms are awesome, upscale rustic, HUGE, fireplaces, balconies, and great tubs for soaking. We will definitely be back and sharing this place with others!

Room Tip: top floor rooms have wood fire fireplaces, while 1st and second have gas...we prefer the wood...
1  Thank Amy L

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stayed at the Buckberry for two nights in April and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. We stayed in a two room suite with a large living area and kitchen attached and a separate bedroom. The fireplace was converted to gas and it was a pleasure to have during the cool evenings. The views were spectacular and we decided to hike down to the pavilion the property manages which is adjacent to a small stream - it was a great place to retreat to. We also enjoyed the new gazebo which was erected since our last stay. My only complaint would be the at times poor television reception and the need to replace the remotes - one of which was taped together - but you really aren't coming to the Smokies to watch T.V. but it is an amenity which was less than ideal. We will definitely return for a 4th visit in a year or two.

The continental breakfast was great. Yes the dinner prices are high but you have plenty of options in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, though you can't beat the view the Buckberry offers.

Room Tip: Ask for one near the lobby building -
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
BBL37738, Manager at The Lodge at Buckberry Creek, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Thank you for coming to stay with us again this year! We love having guests come back time and again. We sincerely apologize about the remote - it has been replaced. As to the TV reception - that is being replaced too. Our cable company is about to upgrade our service up here on the mountain finally, so we expect that issue to be resolved soon. Please do come back and enjoy the great outdoors of the Smoky Mountains!

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Average service. Stayed 3 nights. Room never made up or cleaned the last night we were there. We paid high price for suite and we expected good maid service. Dinner prices are very high for what you get. Scenery beautiful, service just average. Bedroom TV was good but living room TV was old and had poor reception This hotel should be a lot better than it is.

This was my wife's birthday. Wish the room matched the event. It did not. Careful on this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a 2 room suite
5  Thank George S
BBL37738, Manager at The Lodge at Buckberry Creek, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our hotel. We do investigate any concerns that guests share with us.
The room did not get its usual daily service because three times the housekeeping staff knocked, there was someone in the room, but they did not respond to the knock. We have made a policy change to ensure this sort of situation does not result in no service again in the future, so we appreciate bringing the management's attention to this event.
We are in the process up upgrading the TVs and expect updated and improved cable TV service to finally be fully available at our property in the next few months.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights in April to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. We stayed in the premium cabin which had a wonderful wood burning fireplace and a great view of the Smokey Mountains. All of the staff were pleasant, and service was average. The location was great - 5 minutes from downtown Gatlinburg and 20 minutes from Pigeon Forge. The few cons we had about our stay were the flies in our room - first night we saw one, and then they seemed to multiply overnight. There was a rather large gap in the front door where the weather stripping was supposed to be, and we assumed that is how they were getting in. Second con was the group event that was there Friday through Sunday - which meant we had to eat breakfast every day in the same small room, and the same for our anniversary dinner on Friday night. We had to walk outside of the lodge, around the side and into the room for our dinner - a little tacky considering we were dressed up. That was disappointing, and I was really looking forward to dining in the main room. After all, we were paying guests too. The pros were many - the room was spacious, the balcony offered a great place to relax and take in the sights and sounds of nature, the bed was super comfy, and the wood burning fireplace literally put us in a trance on our last night. The restaurant at the lodge is the only 5 star in the area, and the food was good, not great, but good. They did give us a complimentary dessert to celebrate our anniversary, which was very nice of them. It is the most expensive property in the area, and at the end of our trip, we walked away feeling relaxed and at peace.

1  Thank Elaine B

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are very happy that you left feeling relaxed. The owners of our hotel want everyone to enjoy their stay and leave here feeling refreshed.
Some notes from our investigation of your concerns:
We wish you had notified us about the flies. Our maintenance staff would have immediately responded. We are adjacent to the forest, and the wildlife (big and small) sometimes create unique situations that we are prepared to resolve.
We do sometimes have groups here - it is an ideal retreat location. Our front desk staff informs guests at check in if a group might impact a guest's stay. The scenario you described does occur on occasion - but we are in the planning phase of an expansion of the main lodge building which will allow non-group guests to enjoy the restaurant dining room for breakfast and dinner.
We hope you will come back again to see us. We would be happy to make any of your future anniversaries extra special.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This was our first visit to Buckberry Lodge, a friend of mine loves it so much and we had to try it out. We are in love, it's gorgeous - our room was well appointed and it was very comfortable (great high count sheets, that means a lot to me).

The view was gorgeous of course, and I cannot say enough about the pavilion. Our kids put their feet in the water and played while I relaxed in a hammock while the water ran by - fantastic. It was a delight. We did NOT want to leave and will be visiting again...SOON.

The staff was top notch and was very attentive to our needs.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank jenmowrer
Reviewed April 11, 2014

After spending a fun weekend at Rhythm and Blooms in Knoxville, I decided to check out the mountains. Wanting to stay outside of Gatlinburg I chose the Buckberry Lodge, mainly because I wanted a mountain view, a fireplace, and a jacuzzi tub for reading and relaxing. The lodge itself was totally charming and the staff was very friendly and helpful in suggesting restaurants for dinner in town, places to visit and hiking trails. The location was wonderful - outside of town in a fairly secluded area but close enough to drive to Gatlinburg for a bite to eat and a nice drive through the mountains to visit the museums in Cherokee. I had a nice dinner in town the first night and enjoyed the restaurant at the lodge the second night. Delicious cocktails, delicious food, and friendly travelers. I wish I had more time to enjoy the pavilion as it seemed very charming. My room had a great view and the gas fireplace was real plus. The small kitchen with full size fridge, micro, and 4 burner stove/oven had all the necessities. Huge shower, huge jetted tub and super comfy bed. Hoping to return to Buckberry again soon! Thanks for your hospitality, Buddy - you were lovely and your lodge is great!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank jennifer r
Reviewed April 8, 2014

First, let me say that I realize there are people who think shabby is chic. And that woodsy creatures are cute, and that rustic is just fab. But for the record, it can all be overdone. I was ill the week before my husband had a conference at this place, but I thought that since it was a short drive, I would put pillows under me and go and rest in all that "serenity." I even checked to make sure they have room service. It says they do on their website. And the girl who answered the phone acted awfully evasive about this question. That's because they don't have room service. There's nobody who will walk up that mountain with food to what amounts to a rustic cabin - it's a motel filled with cabins, and the main building and restaurant were not walkable for me because I had been in the emergency room the night before I got to this place with back pain. Pros - Nice fireplace even though we never lit ours. If you're into cooking while on a getaway, have at it. There's a little kitchen. And, the shower is huge. It's big enough for two if you're in the mood. I guess if trees and bears pine and wood get you going, you'll have a great time in the shower. But don't try anything in the beds. Ours must have been at least 3 feet off the floor. I had to climb with a bad back to get on the bed. I would climb onto a stool, then launch myself forward and hope I landed on the bed. While that sounds funny, it's not if you're in pain. You could really injure yourself if you're prone to sleep walking or just fell off the bed. Oh, and they had wifi - sometimes. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. Thank goodness I took my Ipad with me. Can you imagine - all that woodsy get away from it all back to nature stuff, and they had wifi!

All I wanted was to rest and watch a little television, and order some room service.

So here's what I got in the way of my "wants."

Rest: Forget it! First morning I slept in I was awaken with a man's rear staring me in the face - yes, it was clothed, but it did not belong in my room, and I all but had a heart attack. Even though my husband left a Do Not Disturb sign out, it was totally ignored, and this guy came in while I was sleeping and was making the other bed when I woke and saw him. From then on it was lock down and beware.

Television: Forget it! The televisions look like something from the 60s. They have never updated, and they don't seem to take into consideration that anyone might want to do anything besides hike and troll the burg. I just wanted peace - and nice surroundings because really nice hotels have a relaxing effect on me. This was not what I would ever in a million years call a "nice hotel."

Room service: Nonexistent. It's on the website, but it doesn't exist. There's a kitchen. I ended up eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich the last day I was there for lunch. And while that's ok, it's not exactly what I want for a good meal especially in the evening. And I simply was not up to cooking. I went up there practically straight out of an ER. And that very much did color my thinking as to what was and was not available to me.

This place was the site of a legal seminar my husband attended for CLE credits, and we supposedly had a special rate. By the time taxes were added, this place cost us over $200.00 a night at that "special" rate. And this may be somebody's idea of a cool place out in the woods, but it was not my cup of tea. I just ended up more stressed out because nothing was available. My husband had to go down a mountain and search out food for us the last night and bring it back. He found a Corky's, and that's what we had.

If you like your nice amenities and room service, and maids that are not intrusive and a nice environment in which to relax and kick back and enjoy life's little pleasures, I don't think this is your getaway. Once I saw what the place was like I cancelled our reservations at the restaurant because I just wanted out of there and couldn't fathom paying the prices they were asking for dinner at their restaurant.

Oh, and let's talk about handicap accessible. This place has 3 levels, and if you have any mobility issues, you are going to have a problem unless you ask for a room on the 1st level. AND they don't tell you there are no elevators upon booking. We were booked into a 3rd floor room, and I would never have made it up that many steps. THERE ARE NO ELEVATORS! When I said rustic, I meant rustic. But to not warn people of this problem with no elevators is unbelievable. Had my husband not seen a notation on our reservation as to the floor we were assigned to in the beginning, we would have been stuck with that 3rd floor room. They switched us, but I doubt seriously if they asked the party that they switched if they had a problem with the third level.

It's good to be home and out of the woods with plenty of soap, and no strange males walking into my bedroom and waking me up, and easy access to food. The Lodge at Buckberry Creek has seen the last of me.

Room Tip: I have read my review over, and I think I was fair. This is not a place for people who enjoy upscal...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
14  Thank fcombs
BBL37738, Manager at The Lodge at Buckberry Creek, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Our Group Event Manager will be calling you directly about your comments.
Just a note to anyone reading this review: Once made aware of this guest's need for a room on parking level, we did move them in advance of their stay. If we had been fully informed of her special needs when she made this last-minute reservation, we would have been better able to accommodate her with regard to room placement and bed height.
As to the TVs - they are all being upgraded. WiFi is being upgraded to fiber optic delivery speed in the next weeks. Room service is available during restaurant hours. We do not have elevators, but do have accessible rooms and suggest reserving those specifically when they are needed.