Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Weekend Getaway with the Family”

The Lodge at Buckberry Creek
Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Weekend Getaway with the Family”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This was our first visit to Buckberry Lodge, a friend of mine loves it so much and we had to try it out. We are in love, it's gorgeous - our room was well appointed and it was very comfortable (great high count sheets, that means a lot to me).

The view was gorgeous of course, and I cannot say enough about the pavilion. Our kids put their feet in the water and played while I relaxed in a hammock while the water ran by - fantastic. It was a delight. We did NOT want to leave and will be visiting again...SOON.

The staff was top notch and was very attentive to our needs.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank jenmowrer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed April 11, 2014

After spending a fun weekend at Rhythm and Blooms in Knoxville, I decided to check out the mountains. Wanting to stay outside of Gatlinburg I chose the Buckberry Lodge, mainly because I wanted a mountain view, a fireplace, and a jacuzzi tub for reading and relaxing. The lodge itself was totally charming and the staff was very friendly and helpful in suggesting restaurants for dinner in town, places to visit and hiking trails. The location was wonderful - outside of town in a fairly secluded area but close enough to drive to Gatlinburg for a bite to eat and a nice drive through the mountains to visit the museums in Cherokee. I had a nice dinner in town the first night and enjoyed the restaurant at the lodge the second night. Delicious cocktails, delicious food, and friendly travelers. I wish I had more time to enjoy the pavilion as it seemed very charming. My room had a great view and the gas fireplace was real plus. The small kitchen with full size fridge, micro, and 4 burner stove/oven had all the necessities. Huge shower, huge jetted tub and super comfy bed. Hoping to return to Buckberry again soon! Thanks for your hospitality, Buddy - you were lovely and your lodge is great!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank jennifer r
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 8, 2014

First, let me say that I realize there are people who think shabby is chic. And that woodsy creatures are cute, and that rustic is just fab. But for the record, it can all be overdone. I was ill the week before my husband had a conference at this place, but I thought that since it was a short drive, I would put pillows under me and go and rest in all that "serenity." I even checked to make sure they have room service. It says they do on their website. And the girl who answered the phone acted awfully evasive about this question. That's because they don't have room service. There's nobody who will walk up that mountain with food to what amounts to a rustic cabin - it's a motel filled with cabins, and the main building and restaurant were not walkable for me because I had been in the emergency room the night before I got to this place with back pain. Pros - Nice fireplace even though we never lit ours. If you're into cooking while on a getaway, have at it. There's a little kitchen. And, the shower is huge. It's big enough for two if you're in the mood. I guess if trees and bears pine and wood get you going, you'll have a great time in the shower. But don't try anything in the beds. Ours must have been at least 3 feet off the floor. I had to climb with a bad back to get on the bed. I would climb onto a stool, then launch myself forward and hope I landed on the bed. While that sounds funny, it's not if you're in pain. You could really injure yourself if you're prone to sleep walking or just fell off the bed. Oh, and they had wifi - sometimes. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. Thank goodness I took my Ipad with me. Can you imagine - all that woodsy get away from it all back to nature stuff, and they had wifi!

All I wanted was to rest and watch a little television, and order some room service.

So here's what I got in the way of my "wants."

Rest: Forget it! First morning I slept in I was awaken with a man's rear staring me in the face - yes, it was clothed, but it did not belong in my room, and I all but had a heart attack. Even though my husband left a Do Not Disturb sign out, it was totally ignored, and this guy came in while I was sleeping and was making the other bed when I woke and saw him. From then on it was lock down and beware.

Television: Forget it! The televisions look like something from the 60s. They have never updated, and they don't seem to take into consideration that anyone might want to do anything besides hike and troll the burg. I just wanted peace - and nice surroundings because really nice hotels have a relaxing effect on me. This was not what I would ever in a million years call a "nice hotel."

Room service: Nonexistent. It's on the website, but it doesn't exist. There's a kitchen. I ended up eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich the last day I was there for lunch. And while that's ok, it's not exactly what I want for a good meal especially in the evening. And I simply was not up to cooking. I went up there practically straight out of an ER. And that very much did color my thinking as to what was and was not available to me.

This place was the site of a legal seminar my husband attended for CLE credits, and we supposedly had a special rate. By the time taxes were added, this place cost us over $200.00 a night at that "special" rate. And this may be somebody's idea of a cool place out in the woods, but it was not my cup of tea. I just ended up more stressed out because nothing was available. My husband had to go down a mountain and search out food for us the last night and bring it back. He found a Corky's, and that's what we had.

If you like your nice amenities and room service, and maids that are not intrusive and a nice environment in which to relax and kick back and enjoy life's little pleasures, I don't think this is your getaway. Once I saw what the place was like I cancelled our reservations at the restaurant because I just wanted out of there and couldn't fathom paying the prices they were asking for dinner at their restaurant.

Oh, and let's talk about handicap accessible. This place has 3 levels, and if you have any mobility issues, you are going to have a problem unless you ask for a room on the 1st level. AND they don't tell you there are no elevators upon booking. We were booked into a 3rd floor room, and I would never have made it up that many steps. THERE ARE NO ELEVATORS! When I said rustic, I meant rustic. But to not warn people of this problem with no elevators is unbelievable. Had my husband not seen a notation on our reservation as to the floor we were assigned to in the beginning, we would have been stuck with that 3rd floor room. They switched us, but I doubt seriously if they asked the party that they switched if they had a problem with the third level.

It's good to be home and out of the woods with plenty of soap, and no strange males walking into my bedroom and waking me up, and easy access to food. The Lodge at Buckberry Creek has seen the last of me.

Room Tip: I have read my review over, and I think I was fair. This is not a place for people who enjoy upscal...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
14 Thank fcombs
BBL37738, Manager at The Lodge at Buckberry Creek, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Our Group Event Manager will be calling you directly about your comments.
Just a note to anyone reading this review: Once made aware of this guest's need for a room on parking level, we did move them in advance of their stay. If we had been fully informed of her special needs when she made this last-minute reservation, we would have been better able to accommodate her with regard to room placement and bed height.
As to the TVs - they are all being upgraded. WiFi is being upgraded to fiber optic delivery speed in the next weeks. Room service is available during restaurant hours. We do not have elevators, but do have accessible rooms and suggest reserving those specifically when they are needed.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed April 6, 2014

It was a nice stay at the Lodge at Buckberry Creek. Very clean room, nice service. Helen is a extra plus. She help us to set up places to go or visit.
Only recommendation, considering is a family vacation, breakfast should go until 10:30-11:00am.

Thank you !!!!

Room Tip: If you can make reservation, ask for the building on the top.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ruben G
We are glad you had a fun time in the Smokies! You are right, Helen is a gem. She has been here at Buckberry since day one - so she is a great resource for our guests.
By the way, on weekends, our breakfast hours go to 11am. :)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife and I simply cannot say enough great things about Buckberry. We live in Knoxville, TN so we are somewhat jaded when it comes to the natural beauty of the Smokies, but Buckberry never ceases to keep amazing us. It is such a beautiful and unique property. Very adult environment, but also family friendly. We have stayed here multiple times, once for the wild game weekend and also for valentines day. We love how close they are to the Ober Gatlinburg Ski area and Dollywood also! The entire feel and atmosphere is just pure class and enjoyment. We love Buckberry si much, we had our wedding there! They did such an amazing job. We had MANY of our wedding guests and party tell us it was the most beautiful and enjoyable wedding they had ever been to. If you are wanting to enjoy Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge at it's finest, then Buckberry would serve you well.

Room Tip: Ask for ride down to the Pavilion or just hike the 10 min down the trail to it. It's a great vie...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Your wedding was one of the highlights of last year! Thank you both for sharing sucha special day with us.
oregon ohio
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I stayed the weekend at Buckberry Creek. This was our third stay with them. Each time was a different suite and each one was our favorite! There is no way you could read the reviews and not know this is someplace quite special. I would not take children there. Perfect place to re-connect. The restaurant is very nice with excellent food. You are not at a buffet so don't plan on being stuffed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 75princess
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I agree with most of the other reviewers that the Lodge is a beautifully located resort with attentive staff, so I will not waste the reader’s time rhapsodizing about the gorgeous mountain views, etc.

A few personal opinion cons:

I admittedly did not research the Lodge's amenities as diligently as I could have, so at check in, it would have been great to hear about the pavilion, as well as the Lodge's available transportation to take guests there and back. We walked the trail and were very pleasantly surprised to discover the creek, fire pit and hammock at the trail end, but only learned about the availability of a ride back up from other guests who were already enjoying the fire pit, which apparently can be lit by staff upon request before you trek down.

In hindsight, I wouldn’t recommend the Lodge if you are traveling with youngish children. The staff will not turn you away or make you feel unwelcome (for some reason, they did ask our childrens’ ages when we were booking the room), but the floors/walls are thin, and every cry and footstep can be heard clearly. There was a large family overhead that was extremely loud well into the night during our stay, so if you have a room that is over/under another, you are at the mercy of your neighbors' noise level. Most Lodge guests seem to be childless couples, and based on their outward reactions to kids, they appear to expect tranquility.

If you do bring the kids, know that if you came ill-equipped to entertain them, there are no childrens’ DVDs, puzzles, books, etc. The half-mile trail to the creek pavilion can be a bit steep and rough navigating with little ones (and with grandparents), so consider the Lodge’s transportation to get you there and back.

The Lodge’s continental breakfast should not be outshined by the continental breakfasts that are now being routinely offered to travelers at most much less expensive lodging, but it is. Available are pastries, bread/bagels, preserves and cream cheese, yogurt, fruit, oatmeal packets, cold cereal, juice and coffee/tea. I presume this is to make the menu options more attractive. Guests should plan to arrive early for a better selection on the continental breakfast options.

The pull-out sofa is, not surprisingly, uncomfortable. I’d strongly recommend selecting a room with two double beds instead, if multiple beds are needed, and to request additional soap, shampoo and conditioner on arrival. One small bottle of each is not enough for more than two people, and housekeeping did not restock during our visit.

If you need a wine or beer IV stat at the end of the day, know that the town is dry on Sundays. Stock up well ahead of time.

A few pros:

Staff member Megan was exceptionally warm, accommodating and friendly, as were the staff gentlemen who drove us up from the pavilion, replaced the remote batteries, and showed us how to use the DVD player.

The Lodge does provide access to a washer and dryer for guests free of charge (bring your own detergent), which is very helpful for longer trips.

The in-room fireplaces are fantastic, especially on unexpectedly cold days, and the kitchenette area (with microwave and full-sized fridge) is great for warming up/keeping cold the snacks and beverages you bring. The jacuzzi tub is entertainment for kids of all ages.

The pavilion is a great place to bring down some drinks and snacks to hang out around the fire pit while the kids entertain themselves with the creek and hammock. Along with several rocking chairs and a fireplace, there is a flat-screen TV in the pavilion, which was very much appreciated during our March Madness visit.

Room Tip: The pull-out sofa in the grand suite is, not surprisingly, uncomfortable. I’d strongly recommend se...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank EcoOco
BBL37738, Manager at The Lodge at Buckberry Creek, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We always want to hear about our guests' experiences. A couple of notes about your comments:
As to riding back up from the Creekside Pavilion - we tell everyone when we conduct a brief tour, and the information is also in the check-in folder with the room key.
We do provide free DVDs for viewing. They are available through the Front Desk at any time.
We do suggest the rooms with 2 double beds for all families. This particular family was offered a room change just for that reason.
As to the toiletries and towels - as we always tell our guests, just ask and we will deliver extras to your room!
We do hope you return to stay with us!