“Clean & comfortable family motel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel
You added Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel to your Saves list
Ranked #23 of 84 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Jackson, Michigan
“Clean & comfortable family motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had planned to spend most of our time in the park so we were simply looking for clean, quiet and affordable accommodations. Carr's fit the bill pretty well. It's an older facility but it's clean & well run. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We really don't like the Gatlinburg tourist attractions so we were glad that it is away from the busier downtown area.

Room Tip: We liked having a kitchen. We would opt for a larger room next time - and a room with a phone.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Holland, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I have been going here for years, and never grow tired of the surroundings. The location is off the main road of Hwy 321 N., but the traffic noise is very low. The creek that runs through the back of the place keeps the cars and truck sounds to a minimum. We have stayed in the motel, and larger accommodations too. Most rooms have no phones and that helps to keep things quiet (cell phones take their place). Our grand kids have been there, my parents have been there, and even a friend my parents know goes there every year. The best thing is to get up early in the morning with some free coffee; go to the balcony, and just listen, watch, and smell the surroundings.

Room Tip: They have new family cottages on the north end and ya better book early to grab one.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have gone to Gatlingburg a couple of times . For those who have never gone to Gatlingburg I can say in the Main Street ( called Parkway) there is a bunch of motels, hotels but since this is a mountain town all the motels are very outdated, old and not fancy. After staying at several places in Gatlingburg I no longer criticize any motel because it looks old, as long as it is clean, has a bargain price and good location it is good for me.Almost all the hotels in Gatlingburg have this problem of looking outdated,So based on that I have made a review of Carrs.

The last time I stayed at Riveredge Motor lodge and I had a very pleasant stay for a bargain of $55 a night for a 2 queen bedroom. This time I was not able to get a reservation because it was spring break.

When going to Gatlingburg I love to stay in a hotel right there in the parkway in case someone has a bathroom emergency, wants to rest a while. I was a little woried with Carrs because was not sure of location ( how far from parkway).

1. Price- I rented a 2 bedroom cottage for 6 people for $92 plus tax which was 104 total for 1 night. My cottage was number 3. It had a kitchen with a 6 person table, Stove with oven, microwave, fridge and inside the cabinets plates, dishes, spoons, forks. Do not expect to find salt and spices like in a cabin ( you have to take all your stuff. Then there is this cozzy living room with a red Carpet with a wood Fireplace. You will find there a double bed and a sofa which turns to a double bed. It has 2 reclining chairs also and a table with lamp. This living room has two doors that you can close but do not have a lock for privacy. The living room leads you to a small porch with two chairs. My husband and I and my 2 daughters ( 12, 5 ) stayed here with us. Then there are two more bedrooms. In each Bedroom a Bed ( I think a queen). Each Grandma stayed in each bedroom. This cabin fits 8 people. There is one bathroom. It just had one little soap for everyone. We are not picky guests so we just went at night and bought a bar of soap and also dishwashing liquid we did not find. I know that for many people this maybe an issue ( for us it was not). There is no shampoo or those things like in fancy hotels. I always take my hair conditioner and shampoo anyways because I like my stuff. The beds were comfortable ( not the worst or best). What I loved about the inside of the cottage is because I felt like in a 700 SF apartment. They also provide free wood for your fireplace.

2. Clean- The place was clean , as I said before all the places I have stayed before have a style of an old cabin which I like, If I am going to a Mountain town I like to stay in a place that transports me in time. If I stay in Vegas I would love to stay in a Fancy hotel. In the beach in a chalet , so if you are in rome do what romans do. People always have bad things to say even from Ritz, Sheraton and Marriot. There are beautiful hotels I saw here in Gatlingburg ( if you have the money stay in them) if not and you are on a budget Carrs is a good option.

3. location- I was pretty surprised. It is not located in the middle of the strip , nor on the end of strip but very close. There is this cute place called Zoders Inn ( Best Western) in which I have always wanted to stay which is located pretty far from where all the action is. Well the thing is if you are willing to walk from Zoders to where all the action is you can also walk from Carrs. I am a lazy walker so we just took the car and parked in the middle of the parkway.

4. Style- Once you walk in the lot of Carrs it looks so cute. It looks like a fancy campground resort although it is not a campground. I compare it to a campground because of all what you see. There is this little motel. The cottages, Apartments and townhomes, cabins and the noise of the river. They all look alike but different at the same time. So there is a variety. It is well painted with a vibrant dark blue. The lady at the front desk told me each cottage is different in the inside each is unique. In front of my cottage there was a playground and a pool. My cottage did not have the river view but some do and I believe all the motel rooms have river view. I can not talk about the motel room because I have not seen them nor on the apartments or townhomes. My review is based on the cottage. As I said this place was safe, very peaceful and quiet. Far away from the noise of the parkway and close enough to even go walking. A long walk though ( 10 -15 minutes).

I would stay again without a doubt and maybe the next time I will try a motel room or a townhome.Oh I forgot I did not have any issues of cold water while showering like other people mentioned. Not sure if it was because it was a cottage. We were 6 and all showered one after another and no one ran out of hot water.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Connie_H321
Perry, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

If you are looking for a great location to enjoy Gatlinburg this is the place- walking distance to the strip. If you have to stay in a 5 star hotel this is not for you. I stay in the newer units on the creek and we love it!

Room Tip: Ask for newer units on the creek
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Gurley, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is our 4th annual trip to Carr's for a fun gathering of our Church Sunday school class. Carr's is always helpful in getting all of us our reservations and very understanding when some have had to cancel. My husband and I have been coming to Carr's for several years, especially for the Gatlinburg Christmas Parade. The rooms are spacious, clean and very comfortable. The front desk folks always friendly and willing to make recommendations for fun and food when asked. The location is just perfect - not too far away from downtown Gatlinburg (you can walk down the hill to Gburg if you want), but, not located right on the street. Nice,quiet, secluded area. Love the ramps up to the 3rd level of the hotel section! Easy walk up ! The stream is so pretty and there are fire rings and grills for anyone wanting to have a marshmallow roast or cookout. Plenty of swings, tables and chairs available for reading/resting or having a picnic. Also, a playground for the kids. We so enjoy this place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank onthego5135748
Cleveland, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Carr's is located about a half mile from the parkway traffic light #3.(up a big hill) the property is spread out , some of the rentals look like they could use a little updating , we stayed in Cottage # 410 over looking the creek (loved the sound of creek) , the cottages are the newer units, we had the one bedroom which had 2 queen beds (comfortable) and a sofa sleeper in living room. they had a flat screen in the living room area, but no tv in the bedroom . (dislike!!!) I actually purchased a tv from the hotel next door for $20 to put in the bedroom. next time will bring my own little tv. When you need new towels you have to take them to linen room. (next to office) only wi-fi on property is in the office. lots of space for kids to play. I had hoped for the Hot tub by pool to be open , it wasn't. over all i'd give it a 7.5 ! and I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank william423
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayes here five nights was told you stay four you get a free night like wwe always get as we checked out they told us no becauae of valentinea day but this is are third time stYing amd mever had preoblem like this before plus we called ahead and they told us this deal..very upset..plus the hot water always was out had to take cold ahowers every morning they couldnt fix that problem we had to switch units cause number 24 had a fire place in the middle of the room and very uncomfterble and the lock on the door did not work and a three yr old could get out easy they need to put locks on top for chikdren..toliet ran all day and nifht a towls were veru though lime sand paper.

Room Tip: Do not get room 24 and unit 15 is the best
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank reremonkey28
AmyatCarrs, Manager at Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank You for your recent stay at Carr's. As you know from your last several stays at Carr's, all of our accommodations are different and unique. One of our unique features is not broken locks. The lock in #24 is a self-locking door with an additional deadbolt. The knob will still turn on the inside but the deadbolt should also be engaged. It is actually illegal to have locks at the top of doors due to fire regulations as well as the difficultly of use for elderly, disabled, and those of smaller stature.

Your recent stay with us occurred over a holiday weekend and we were not offering any specials other than our off season rates. The rate as well as the total for your stay were given to you in your confirmation-as per your request. However, you did receive a free night for the inconvenience of not having hot water between the hours of midnight and 7am on one night during your stay. We were happy to offer the free night and a 3 hour late check out as compensation. We are also happy to report that the problem we were having with the pilot light on the gas water heater was quickly corrected. Thank You again for your business and we hope to see you again in the future.