Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel
$107
$98
  • Pool
Bearskin Lodge on the River Hotel(Gatlinburg)(Great Value!)
$109
Gatlinburg Inn(Gatlinburg)(Great Value!)
$159
$149
Hotels.com
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites on the River(Gatlinburg)(Great Value!)
$59
Quality Inn & Suites Gatlinburg(Gatlinburg)(Great Value!)
$70
$129
GardenInn.com
The Edgewater Hotel(Gatlinburg)(Great Value!)
$119
$99
Zoders Inn & Suites(Gatlinburg)(Great Value!)
$80
Hampton Inn Gatlinburg(Gatlinburg)(Great Value!)
$150
$119
$89
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe cottagesfull kitchentrolley stopthe riverhome away from homequeen bedmain officeclose to downtowncreekside roomoff the beaten patha great place to staypool and hot tubcoffee potfamily vacationgatlinburg areafire pitthe main street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I've been staying at this hotel since I was a kid in the 1970's. It's a great place to stay. Maybe I like it because of memories of playing in the creek there when I was a kid. It had one of the best creekside layouts of all the hotels in town.

We keep going back because we like the place, but we are also looking for some new place to stay that is more updated and has furniture that isn't 20 (or 30 ) years old, has WIFI and a few other amenities. (watching football bowl games on a 20 year old 25" analog TV just doesn't cut it either).

We stayed this year during Christmas break in one of the Hotel unit rooms. The room was VERY CLEAN and everything was in order. It looked like the room had been painted in the past year or two (compared to past stays). The Hotel rooms consist of two double or queen beds, a recliner, a small table and two chairs and a dresser area. In the entry is the bathroom and a small mini fridge.

The room was very clean and the bed linens were in good shape. Like some other reviews stated, we had some issues with the sheets constantly coming off the bed. I think this is because of the rubber mattress protector they put on the bed makes the she sheets very "Slippery". Our Recliner had to be at least 20 years old and the foot rest was broken on it leaving one side to lean down about a foot lower than the other.

Several people have noted in reviews they don't have coffee pots in the rooms. But they do have coffee in the hotel office and it was pretty decent.

Also, several people noted WIFI access. They don't have it in any of the rooms. Only in the Office. This is kind of a pain since now days many people's jobs expect them to be able to log on and check things, reply to emails, etc. That and you sometimes want to use your laptop or iPad to look up something to do on Vacation. I'm not sure why they can't do Wifi in all the rooms when Brookside across the stream is just as large and has it in there's. (You actually see all of Brooksides wireless routers from rooms on the creek, but they are all access controlled. Next time I'm there I'm going to go over and see what it would cost for me to pay to access their wireless network). We've also learned to take an extension cord with us so we can power the laptop since plugs aren't always easily accessible at the bed or in some rooms.

On the plus side, since July, the Gatlinburg area has upgraded the Verizon data network to 4G. There is a tower within sight of Carr's and I got 4-5 bars of signal strength in the lower floor hotel units. Luckily I can tether Internet off my phone since Carr's doesn't have WIFI in the rooms.

BOTTOM LINE: It's a great place to stay on the creek and great for kids. Just don't set your expectations high on room quality and you'll be ok.

Room Tip: Get a room on the creek. They are nicer and it's a very nice creek. Rooms 10, 11 can combine into a 2br with a den/kitchen between them. So can rooms 15,16. Note that just about every room is layed out differently (floor plan) and how it's been decorated and what amenities are in it. there are some rooms I really like and some I won't stay in.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank michael_210
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Our clean, spacious, three-bedrooom - two-bath unit with knotty pine walls and ceiling and gas fireplace on a stream was very clean and convenient. Our only negative was very hard mattresses all three of which warranted replacement as did linens. Carr's is located off the main strip on HWY 321, a walkable mile from main Gatlinburg activities in one direction and a mile in the other direction from a grocery store, gas station, and post office. Carr's has a great number and variety of accommodations for guest parties of 2 to 10. We did a lot of shopping before making our reservation and found Carr's to be and very good value. The staff was friendly and helpful in providing some directions.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Patrick73_12
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I thought that Carr's was a nice place to stay in Gatlinburg. It's close enough to walk to all of the strip attractions but far enough away so that you can actually pull out of the parking lot. There is a very close pizza place, convenience store and breakfast restaurant. The facilities are not new, like other reviewers noted, however, we found everything to be clean and in working order. We stayed in an apartment with a full kitchen, 2 queens and a fireplace, upstairs. It was perfect for a family of four (2 year old twins with us) to not be cramped. There was a fold out couch so more people could fit if needed. There was a fridge, ,microwave, stove and sink in the kitchen. They provide essentials like places, silverware, pans etc... that you just need to wash again after use. I do recommend packing a few things: coffee filters (they do not have ANY if you forget) all toiletries (they provide hand and dish soap only) and a smartphone. The WiFi listed is ONLY available in the lobby and there are no networks that you can connect to in room, trust me, I tried. I had some work to finish before my vacation officially began and had to go down to the lobby for it as the smartphone wasn't going to cut it. HASSLE! They provide room cleaning, at no charge, upon request or you can go and exchange your own towels which is easy enough. The staff is friendly and sort of hands off, which is not a criticism. There is a playground that is nice for little ones, perfect for under five I would think. There is a pool that we of course didn't use in December but would be nice for a different time of the year. I think this is as good as any place that isn't a big chain in Gatlinburg. PS don't ask for the desk recommendation for take out, the only menu they have was for a place that stunk! See my next review!

Room Tip: The fireplace was nice, it really heated up the room, and was an attractive touch in the evening.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank meggy1017
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Two years ago I stayed in the Carr's cabin that is pictured on this page. It was wonderful!!! Clean, comfortable, gas log fireplace, full kitchen, porch overhanging a beautiful creek. Picture perfect. This year I called and made a reservation and I thought I would get a cabin similar to last year. I was wrong. I should have been specific about the one I wanted. The one I got was damp, dirty, musty, in poor repair and downright spooky. I went back to the desk person and he was very kind but had only one other cabin available - right on the highway. I was so disappointed. I left and found another place to stay but I have to say, I returned the next day and spoke with the manager and she refunded my money. She could have refused to do that so I was very thankful to her.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sweetshrub
Reviewed November 28, 2012

After much research of the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area we decided to give Carr's a try. We booked for November 16-19 & got a king size room by the creek. The motel is older, but it was comfortable, economical & clean. The staff was great!! We didn't spend a lot of time in the room because we like to do things during day...this year it was zip lining, driving thru the park & even hitting a portion of The Dragon's Tail!!! We walked to town every evening to shop & eat, we loved the walk, even in the crisp mountain air. The highlights of our trip was zip lining, the ribs at Calhouns & seeing a herd of elk for the first time while leaving Cherokee! It was a great 3 days away in the mountains!! Will definitely stay here again!!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple