Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“"The creekside is a great place to unwind"”

Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel
Ranked #27 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I am a frequent traveler to Gatlinburg and have stayed here 5 times. We always rent the apartments which are roomy and comfortable. The prices are reasonable compared to cabin rentals in this area.. My last visit was the week of July 4th, 2012 and we reserved an apartment on the creekside. It was great! So relaxing to sit by the creek in the shade and listen to the sounds of the rushing waters. Even though this is an older place, I find it very quaint with a beautiful setting and friendly staff. Would definitely recommend. Will be visiting here again in October 2012.

Room Tip: I prefer the apartments, they are roomier. Anything on the creekside you will certainly enjoy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Patricia O
There are newer reviews for Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel

Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is by no means, hoity toity, but is in a beautiful setting of trees and stream! We have stayed there twice now and had a great stay both times. I recommend this to anyone that asks. The prices are more than fair in this day and age. To be able to get a 2 bedroom apt for less than $100 is amazing. To be cooped up in a hotel room for a week with 2 kids would drive me crazy but here you have room to spread out and it is so comforting. The office staff still has the southern hospitality that we have all come to expect from the south and that is awesome!! Can't wait to schedule my next vacation! We will be back.

Room Tip: We have stayed in apt. 38 and 501, both are quiet and roomy.
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Who are these people that have given this place such wonderful reviews? This was a horrible visit from start to finish. We didn't even stay for our second night!

I wanted to stay in a non chain motel for our weekend visit to the smokies, and as usual I check tripadvisor for leads on where to stay. Usually, the reviews I read, taken with a little salt, are spot on, but the reviews on this place were so way off base. We booked a 2 night stay, Fri & Sat, for $76 a night! We thought, WOW, what a great deal, and I was excited to stay there are reading pages of reviews from people who love this place. I was in for quite a shock.

I am willing to overlook a lot as far as decor as long as a place is clean and comfortable. This place was neither!

It looks very quaint from the outside, and I expected it to be somewhat outdated, which is was, but that was the least of my worries. Immediately upon entering any hotel room, I check the beds for cleanliness, as was the case here. What did I find? HAIRS! A lot of them. Long hairs, short curly hairs (you know the ones), even eyelashes on the sheets, and pillows, under the bedspread. I carefully plucked each one I could find off, and convinced myself that they just didn't come off in the wash. The floor needed swept better, and shampooed, and windows were dirty. I had a distinct feeling of having things crawling all over me all night, as did my 10 year old. I kept telling myself it was in my head, and decided to try to sleep. Yeah right. The bed is like sleeping on a concrete slab. No kidding, it was the worst bed I've ever tried to sleep in. When morning mercifully came, as I tried to think of ways to make the second night better, I made my way to the shower. In the morning light I could easily see what I had missed the night before, mold and mildew on the ceiling, and shower rail. Shower curtain was ripped, and the shower head was so low I had to bend over half backwards to be under it, and I'm only 5'8", normal height! I did my best to shower half stooped over, but the water is impossible to regulate as it changes at will. Without any transition it literally goes from hot to ice cold. No one else in our room was running water. I try fiddling with the knobs, get it as close to comfortable temp as possible and 2 minutes later it turns scalding hot! I jump out of the water, truly scalded, and try again to adjust it. After another couple of minutes, ice cold again! It does this the entire shower, and as I get out I tell my Husband, go the office and cancel our second night. I literally could not get out of there fast enough. I have no idea what other rooms people stayed in that were so delightful and clean, but we were definately not in one of those. This was truly the worst visit to any hotel in my life and I would never dream a recommending it to anyone.

15  Thank Amanda W
AmyatCarrs, General Manager at Carr's Northside Cottages & Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

In response to 'Worst Experience Ever'. First, we would like to take the opportunity to apologize if you did not have a nice stay at our facility. We are celebrating over 70 years as a family owned business and pride ourselves in not only value but also cleanliness and customer service. While our property is older, we strive to have very clean and comfortable facilities as well as happy customers. You asked who these people are that have given this place such wonderful reviews? 'Those people' are our customers and the reviews speak for themselves. We always appreciate hearing from our customers. However, It's difficult to comment on your stay or fix a possible problem when none of your comments here on TripAdvisor were reported to our office staff. Thank You for giving us a try and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

What a great place to stay!! Quite and very pretty. Good bed. Can't wait to go back I hope it will be in the fall. This town beats Myrtle Beach hands down.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My family and I are former "locals" from Knoxville, but recently moved away. For our summer mini-vacation this year, we decided to stay in Gatlinburg for 3 days and do all of the touristy things we never did while we were living there. We didn't want to spend a ton of money on a hotel so we could use it on attractions (Dollywood, Dixie Stampede, etc). After reading the reviews here, we decided to give Carr's a try. Since there's only 3 of us and we weren't staying very long, we decided to just get a basic motel room. We ended up with a creekside, first floor room so we were able to just walk right out our back door into the nice little area along the creek. Our 7-year-old daughter loved playing in and around the creek...almost more than anything else during our vacation!
The rooms are rather dated, but still clean. If you're looking for 5-star accomodations, this isn't the motel for you. The entry area floor was cheap vinyl sheet flooring, ripply and repaired with clear packing tape. The towels and sheets were well-worn and crispy. The decor was 70's era. But, to me, it wasn't like staying in a cheap motel, but more like staying at an older relative's house....dated and worn, but homey. Everything worked great....the a/c and heat (which we needed after being caught at Dollywood in a torrential downpour) did their job and the water pressure on the shower was perfect, and the hot water didn't take long at all to kick in and stayed hot as long as we needed it to.
As far as location, it's about a 10-minute walk to downtown Gatlinburg, but nothing too strenuous unless you're terribly out-of-shape and/or disabled. Also the trolley stops outside the Brookside hotel just on the other side of the creek.
There were only a couple of minor drawbacks to our stay....none of which were real dealbreakers for us. First, no military discount...not a requirement, but it's nice to have since my husband and I are both military. Secondly, the only wi-fi service is in the office lobby (unless you can manage to bribe someone staying at the Brookside for their code since you can get their signal, but you need the password). I ran the battery down on my smartphone everyday, doing all of my internet searches for restaurants and such, as opposed to toting my laptop to the office everytime I needed to look something up. Again, not a big deal, just a minor inconvenience.
Overall, Carr's is a great place to stay, especially for the price. Next time, we'll definitely be staying longer and renting a cottage or apartment.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here for four days. We had a very nice room that was right next to the water. The buildings are old but are VERY clean. The price was very affordable for all of the amenities they had. Also in close walking distance to downtown Gatlinburg which is nice so you don't waste your money on parking. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a long weekend with my two teenage girls. We had a two bedroom unit with three beds so everyone got their own bed. Other than the carpet was a bit worn out and stained - the unit was very clean. The smell of carpet fresh or something similar being used bothered all of us a little - but that was mainly in the family room near fireplace. Liked having full kitchen and on site amenities (pool, laundry, yard games). Location was good too - close to main area while not being right down in it. It is only 1/2 mile walk to Aquarium. Will consider staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2012