“Don't believe everything you read, some people like to "expand" on things.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Greystone Lodge On the River

Greystone Lodge On the River
Ranked #6 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Madison, Alabama
“Don't believe everything you read, some people like to "expand" on things.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

I've stayed at Greystone several times and no, it is not brand new, no, it isn't perfect. It's a very old motel as is almost every other one, but trust me, we go several times a year to Gatlinburg and some of the motels are so bad I would not let my dog in them to use the bathroom. I love Greystone, the location, the service, lots of "mature" people that are in housekeeping which makes me feel safer and they are very friendly. They now have fridges in the rooms and if my hubby hadn't lost his job, I'd be there right NOW, this is my favorite month to go due to the colors of the leaves. Gatlinburg is my favorite place in the world and Greystone is my second home, I would not steer anyone wrong. Just know to expect it is older and you'll be fine, ask for non smoking. The only problem I have with G'burg is the CONSTANT nonstop crazies who yell at you while you are trying to enjoy your trip wanting you to go view their timeshares. Did it one time before we knew and lost a whole day of our vacation because of it. AND they get furious with you when you tell them you are not interested after you view their properties, I mean it shows too! So take my words as you will, but it's an awesome, quaint, beautiful town and Greystone is a great place to stay while you are enjoying your trip, you aren't in the room that much anyway! Try it and enjoy and just realize that some folks have bad experiences everywhere they go, you can't make them happy unless you give them the room for free if they complain enough. It's how they pay for their vacations. Nuf said, have a great trip!!

5 Thank SmokeyMtndreamer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

My husband and I travel to Gatlinburg every year for the past 12 years, same time of year. We choose this hotel for the location and that our usual place was booked solid. Check in was quick and the girl who checked us in was very friendly. We were in room 358 on the 3rd floor. The room was ok, little dated, bed was not comfortable and the sheets seemed very old with stains and rips/tears. TV was very nice, which was odd to have a flat screen TV in an outdated room, looked a little funny in the room. The "closest" was a standard dresser, not huge and limited space and hangers. The main point of the room was the huge balcony that over looked the creek, seen lots of wildlife. The bathroom was this ugly pale green color that was kind of depressing to walk in and the toilet was barely hanging on!! It was leaning one way or another due to the seat being broke and the bolts not securely holding it down to the ground. The parking garage was great to have. Very safe and loved the idea of haiving our door so close to the parking garage door. The only thing we did not like was the fact, we like to walk every where, never move our car until we leave to go home, this hotel is set back off the main strip, not as close as we like it, some may, but we did not. Not a total turn off, but I probably will not stay here again for the fact that it was a little further then we like, not the hotel's fault. I can not comment on the breakfast as we ate out everyday. Oh and our room came with a fridge free of charge, without asking for it, it was there when we arrived. Check out was quick also. House keeping came in everyday and cleaned the room, no issues on that. Will post pictures later.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Camden, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

We chose lodge due to location. However, the beds was sooo uncomfortable, no microwave, scratchy sheets and awful old blanket. A make shift closet. Be sure and inspect room before staying. We will tell our family and friends to avoid this lodge.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roadrunner197
Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

We chose to stay at Greystone because of the location and price. I had stayed years before and remember a nice clean room, awesome pool and decent breakfast. This time I was wrong. The price was good for our budget but everything else was horrible. We stayed in a King Suite on the main floor only steps from the pool. The room smelled like a mix between chlorine from the pool and really cheap cologne. The bed was slightly damp, which led me to believe they didn't dry the sheets all the way or that the room may be moldy although I didn't see any. It looked as though the bathtub had just been rinsed out and was in need of a deep cleanse. Although the staff was friendly we arrived an hour after checkin to find our room was not ready, the extra time didn't help. Although the location is great we will be returning to the Johnson Inn and staying in a Condo the next time.

1 Thank Beachykeen1963
Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

This hotel is in a great location. Nice, clean room. The breakfast wasn't good.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

When we arrived and checked into our room we were very shocked. The bathroom was filthy and had mold in it. The beds were horrible and the room had a musty and moldy smell to it. My husband, who has asthma began to have a reaction because of the mold in the room. We went back to the front desk and requested another room and were given another one without a problem. The second one was better, but still smelled kind of musty, but at least there was no mold in the bathroom. We were on the second floor, over the parking garage, which was okay. If you stay there do not take a room on the first floor in the parking garage as the door to your room opens directly into the parking garage! Pool was so small my husband thought it was a hot tub. This hotel is in a great location and that is really all they have to recommend it and it is next door to the trolley stop. They need to demolish this hotel and just start over from scratch. It is dirty, moldy and just horrible. The only reason we stayed there was it was close to what we wanted to do in Gatlinburg, but if we ever go back I told my husband we are staying at the Hilton and I don't care how much they charge me a night, it would be worth it!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank crabbyappleton
Gonzales, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

We came for the Nascar race in Bristol Tn and stayed in Gatlinburg because we were not going to pay the 300 to 400 dollors a nite for a room in Bristol area. After reading many reviews we picked Greystone Lodge because of (1) the great location in the middle of the strip which is great for walking the town. (2) You are next to the trolly stop. (3) The price of the rooms. (4) Had a pool and free Cont breakfest. We stayed on the ground floor in a standard king room which was very clean including the bath room. The bed was nice and soft and we slept great all 5 nights. Room had a 32" flat screen TV, hair dryer, ironing board and iron. No microwave or refridgerator but you can request them for a small fee, we never use them so it was no big deal for us. This place was clean, the parking lot, the pool area, hall ways , lobby, breakfest area all very clean. The staff does a great job and all were very helpful and friendly. We will stay here from now on each time we come back to Gatlinburg. Hope this review helps someone because this place is a high 3 star to a Middle 4 star motel for the price. As a nascar fan who travels to alot of races I have stayed in some real dumps for twice the price as Greystone and my friends this is no dump, very nice place to stay.