“Great Location”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Greystone Lodge On the River
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed May 23, 2009

This motel was in a great location. Next door was the Hardrock, the Aquarium, the trolley, and numerous shops within walking distance. The room was very clean, the parking was good for our large Ford F20 truck. The only downfall was the furniture was worn, but the beds were VERY comfortable. This motel had continental breakfast and a nie pool. There was a beautiful stream beside the motel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daiseymay2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,201)

Reviewed January 4, 2009

No Southern Hospitality here...just plain rudeness...Drove to Gatlinburg to take our daughter to Aquarium. Staff were rude from the 1st day! We were told when we booked,that the property was next to the Aquarium. The "cottage" was 1 mile from Aquarium. Not a good situation when it is 35' and raining! We asked about the "continental breakfast" during booking and were told it is in the lobby. 1st morning we called to inquire how long they served and were told that the breakfast was not for us because we had a kitchen! Floors were filthy, bathtub was filthy, We had to call and ask for housekeeping 2 x for them to bring towels. Fireplace was on a timer and didn't always function properly. It would not start and we were afraid the room would fill with gas. Then it would ignite. I called and the desk and reported it. Apparently, they came when we were gone and never reported back to us.

When my mother called to ask about the bad information we were provided when we booked, they told her that my wife was told exactly where they were. Not true, because the only reason we booked this place was because it was supposed to be "right next to the aquarium"

We left a day early because when we contacted the front desk staff to complain about the dirty "cottage" were advised to leave and stay somewhere else.

When we checked out, we had a question about the final statement. The "manager" became hostile and threatening. He snatched a pen and the statement from my 71 year old mothers hand and started screaming and yelling at her and my wife to sign it and leave!!!! My mother and my wife were in shock and awe when I went in to see what was taking so long. He immediately stared me down and said "youins need to leave" (whatever "youins" is?) We left after getting the General Manager's card. I left her a voice-mail, but I have not heard from her as of yet.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank deogeklaus
Reviewed January 2, 2009

My husband and I go to Gatlinburg every New Years to celebrate at Ripley's Aquarium . Every year we try to find a nice place to stay that we don't have to walk to far to get back to our room. This is across the street and that is the only positive thing about our stay. As we checked in, all we got was attitude from the front desk attendant. We are generally understanding when things like this happen and give that person the benefit if a doubt, but when trying to get directions to our room, the lady simply said "it on the 4th floor." It wasn't that simple the 4th floor is hidden under the, yes under the 3rd floor parking area. This made sleeping almost impossible. In the room, it was just a complete disaster. The microwave was dirty, the mini fridge door was broken and had a huge gap letting all the cold air into the room, and finally, the bathroom tub had not been cleaned, there was a nasty ring around it. So naturally we called the front desk asking for a different room. The same lady told us that there was not any more available rooms and she would send someone up. This was bout 6 pm. At 8pm we called again, and no one even answered the phone. So my husband went down to the front desk and asked to talked to the manager. this took about 25 minutes to even start talking. My husband came back after complaining and said the manager apologized and gave us tickets to a few different attractions. But he said that was all he could do. We expected alot more though. At 9 pm, Robert(the maintenance man, who was the only nice person at this hotel) finally came and told us that he never got the page to come to our room and fix anything. He apologized, checked everything out and within 20 minutes, we had a new microwave, mini fridge, and he personally cleaned the tub. We offered to give him a tip, he said that this was just part of the job.
Needless to say, we were not happy with any one but Robert.
As we checked out, we left him a thank you card and a tip. We love Gatlinburg and being in the heart of the town but we will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rowing_soccerchick13
Reviewed November 26, 2008

I booked Glenstone to stay a night or two while attending a little chapel wedding in the area. First, let me say I don't enjoy writing bad reviews but I feel compelled in this case. Our first room smelled of the most awful mold/mildew. We quickly changed rooms, though not without some attitude from the front desk. Our second room smelled slightly less moldy. We were not near the creek so the mold smell was found to be from leaking HVAC systems that leak into the rooms. I grabbed some nasty pictures with my camera, which luckily had a flash. The rooms seem very dark and cave like...thus the mildew smell seems to fit. I was surprised to not find mushrooms growing under the bed! The other issue that did it for us was the amazingly loud HVAC wall unit that sounded, no exaggeration here, like hail was hitting it from outside the room! It blew our mind that a hotel in such a great spot could be such utter crap....we quickly checked out after our wedding. Ended up in a Hampton Inn in Franklin, NC to spend our honeymoon night. A truly great little town and a great hotel! This place even has a hot breakfast with a variety of egg/sausage combos from what we're told. Beats the Biscuits and gravy from Glenstone! The only plus ya have staying at Glen is the vicinity to the Aquarium and such... thats pretty much it though. My advice....look elsewhere and get some valid reviews!!!

Stayed: November 2008
3  Thank gasturbineguy
Reviewed November 10, 2008

After a bad experience at another hotel we went looking for a new place to stay. We stopped at Greystone after finding some "no vacancies." We told the ladies at the front desk our issue and they were more than happy to let us see the room before we paid. The hotel is older but it was exceptionally clean and functional. The location was exceptional. Parking is undercover. We will return to this property.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GandLB
Reviewed August 13, 2008

My family and I stayed here for two nights. The main reason we chose this hotel was the location. It is close to all the shopping and dining. The room was a creekside view (good) and it smelled like it(bad). The wall paper was peeling in a few spots. The air conditioning was loud. and struggled to keep it cool. The tv in the room was very small and no remote control. The lighting in the bathroom needed to be brighter.

The breakfast they offered was standard for a free continental breakfast but the layout was such that a line would form into the lobby of the hotel. The best part of hotel was the location .The staff was friendly. I guess if I were going to spend more time at the hotel, I would of changed hotels, but because we just spent a few hours sleeping there it was OK.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank scooby5055
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Hmm! It was alright. It definitely has its pros and cons. I really enjoyed the the location. It is a short walk to the strip and all the shops. It is right next to a restaurant and right around the corner from the Hard Rock Cafe. Also, it is right across the street from the Aquarium and the trolley stop. The location is wonderful. I definitely would ask for a creek view. I read a review earlier about a bunch of trash in the creek. I did not see any trash. My 3 year old loved watching the ducks in the water. They were quite entertaining for him. We stayed in Building 2. Both 1 and 2 have there own parking garage. We saved money on parking since we did not have to pay to park in the garage at the Aquarium. It was nice to be in walking distance to the Aquarium. The drawbacks were the rooms. The smelled musty, but most do when they sit right on the river. The room was old and the beds needed to be replaced. The lighting was not good, so don't bring any bedtime novels. The continental breakfast was not any good at all. I would not even waste your time if you like hotels with continental breakfasts. You are better off eating at a good Pancake House in Gatlinburg. Remember, just a short walk. In all, it was in a good location. I don't think the rooms are worth the money at all.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family