“Highlight of our meal was setting on the patio by the stream...”

Howard's Steakhouse
Ranked #57 of 197 Restaurants in Gatlinburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Howard's Steakhouse Restaurant, establish in 1946, is a Gatlinburg Tradition. Voted Best Steaks and Burgers of the Smokies. All our steaks are cut and prepared on site and our famous burgers, also handmade from our Prime and Choice steak trimmings. Howard's is Gatlinburg's oldest restaurant and we are in a renovated 100 year old building with one of the best patios in the Smokies, which is per friendly and located overlooking a river stream. Come see us and enjoy the Best Bloody Mary in town!
Reviewed April 19, 2013

.. watching a raccoon forge in the creek for food.
The food and service was average. Drinks and all were priced too high for what you get .
All in all, the whole place has a grubby, run-down look to it. Wonder what it looked like 20 years ago? I agree with another post that is has such potential to be a great place to go but doesn't even come close. Only way I would recommend this place is to go for a drink on the patio just before dusk.. maybe you will catch Rocky the raccoon in the creek...

There are newer reviews for Howard's Steakhouse

Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

We were excited about this place when the trolley driver recommended it for a great steak! Highly disappointed when our steaks were overcooked. Also ordered a daquiri and it was solid ice frozen couldn't even drink it! The service was horrible, our waitress acted like she was on something when we told her about the food and drink, sorry baby was what she said. Do you want me to get another steak baby? I hate it when a waitress calls you baby, baby, baby! No manager in sight so we paid the 150.00 bill but will never go back there! Save your money if you want a good steak go elsewhere! When we told the trolley driver it was awful he said well it's off season you can't expect them to have full staff all year! He must be getting something for recommending them.

1  Thank BeenThereTennessee
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We sat out by the stream. Great service and even better food. My brother commented it was the best grilled chicken he ever had. I had the open faced roast beef sandwich with a delicious mushroom brown gravy. Will go back next time in Gatlingurg.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

BBQ ribs had a good flavor but a little dry. "Potato canoe" which was supposed to be like a twice baked potatoes but tasted like instant potatoes spooned onto a hollowed out baked potato with some cheese melted on top. It took a long time for us to get our meal and it was not worth the wait. My wife and son's french fries were soft and greasy. They also charge $1 for each glass of water.

1  Thank tennesseedave21
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Reading the latest reviews, I'm a bit put out, I hope it's not truly gone downhill. Last there in May '13, as one reviewer stated, our main draw is that we can be out on the patio with our dog. Creek runs right past, it's very pleasant out there in decent weather. Last time, there was a thunderstorm but we stuck it out, moving away from the tree we were under- the staff were a help with moving us to under the large canopy, and kept tabs on us regardless. Can't say about the confusion is it a bar or restaurant- as we always sit outside. Food has been good for us, but yes, it is a bit pricey. Wife likes their mixed drinks, they're very good. Usually get a burger there, they've always been good. Generous portions. One good thing I like, besides the patio, is you get a voucher to park at the wedding chapel across the street- we just pull up in the side driveway, jump out to let the door attendant or if he's not there, someone inside know our intent to eat there, my wife goes out back with the dog for a table, I take the parking voucher and park the car- a little involved and can be a pain when traffic is heavy but worth it, especially if you want to do some walking on that end of the the strip afterwards. Hope it continues to be good for us- it's hard to find something dog-friendly! We'll go back again, I'm sure.