“Drab and dreary”

Howard's Steakhouse
Ranked #73 of 203 Restaurants in Gatlinburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Howard's Steakhouse Restaurant, establish in 1946, is a Gatlinburg Tradition. Voted Best Steaks and Burgers of the Smokies. All our steaks are cut and prepared on site and our famous burgers, also handmade from our Prime and Choice steak trimmings. Howard's is Gatlinburg's oldest restaurant and we are in a renovated 100 year old building with one of the best patios in the Smokies, which is per friendly and located overlooking a river stream. Come see us and enjoy the Best Bloody Mary in town!
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stopped here on Valentine's, big mistake. I thought it would be decent, its been a staple in Gatlinburg since the 40's for goodness sake. Wrong!!!!! The salad had limp lettuce and wasn't appealing at all. It's famous for steaks, don't know why. We ordered filets. They were awful. Talked to management and they charged us for the salads and my drink. They offered to make it better but we didn't take the chance so we walked. Please don't eat here. You will be disappointed.

2  Thank LS1963

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had reservations elsewhere and stopped in for a drink and that was all we got a singular drink. It took forever to order, no offer for a refill. We had a friend join us and his order was never taken. The wait to pay the bill was staggering. We seriously thought about walking out. The bar is also very narrow and crowded.

We did not try the food but based on the experience at the bar, we probably won't return.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My brother and I stopped by for lunch last week. A burger and a beer was the required sustenance before a hike. It is convenient and I have always had good service. The 5oz burger and a side was great, especially for $6.99 in Gatlinburg. Their burgers are made from high end ground meat, including steak trimmings. The baked beans are my favorite side.

I just read the other officers review and am disappointed to hear of the bad service. The person I believe was the owner, came out on the patio and was very hospitable, especially when he found out we were locals. I will ask him how he feels about the incident next time I am there. We are not always the most popular people at the door of a business and I do not wear my S.O. jacket off duty, but there may be more to it.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stopped in on our recent trip to the mountains. It had been raining pretty hard and had turned to snow that was quickly accumulating. The gentleman at the door was so nice. He assisted us in parking out front without knowing we were going to even eat there (the restaurant is across from Ober Gatlinburg). He invited us in and sat us in a PERFECT spot that overlooked the beautiful creek that runs under the restaurant. The server was very prompt and very friendly. Lunch was fabulous. We had a Philly and A Teri. Chicken. The owner of the restaurant came over and chatted with us for a bit and we felt right at home. While we were eating, the gentleman at the door went over to Ober and got us all the pricing information and the hours of operation and brought it to our table. WHERE ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO GO FOR THAT SERVICE??? The food was superb, the service was wonderful, and the people were super friendly. We are definitely eating there again when we return!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was in gatlinburg with family last night for New Years. We attempted to get put on the waiting list but the guy at the door refused to do so. The couple in front of us was placed on this list. He asked for the name. I guess I made the mistake in wearing a sheriffs office jacket to keep warm on a col night. The server looked at the jacket and then looked at me stating it was a long wait. He did not take my name, but turned to the next couple and took their name and wrote it down I will never give this dump my business and I hope all cops do the same. Yes I'm a cop but when I'm in gatlinburg I'm a tourist just like anyone else.

5  Thank Chris B