“Excellent Food and Service - No Reservations”

The Peddler Steakhouse
Ranked #15 of 200 Restaurants in Gatlinburg
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located at the entrance to Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Gatlinburg TN, The Peddler Steakhouse is literally built upon tradition. Families continue to return from one generation to the next. We invite you to start a new dining tradition with us.
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This is a slightly high dollar steak house with a really good salad bar. Service was excellent. For an entree I ordered the 9 0z Prime Rib, $25.99. Excellent taste. This place does not take reservations. We called ahead to put our name on the list and waited about 30 minutes. Better than a 2 hr wait. One person in our party ordered the trout, another ordered the steak. Everyone enjoyed their food. Go before dark and you can enjoy a view of the little mountain stream. Nice log building with lots of big windows overlooking the stream. This was during the week in November, not sure how this place is at high season or during a busy weekend.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,617)

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I researched the perfect place for my wedding night dinner monthes in advance and had settled on the peddler...it was worth the wait and my husband and i had a wonderful dinner with excellent service! We each ordered a steak and ate every last bite! One word: delicious!!!!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We have eaten at this steakhouse for over30 years. Every time we visit this area. The meat served to all four of us was of very poor quality. We had both prime rib and rib eye with the same results. Tough and Tasteless.
All employees were like robots. Programed to serve and get you out the door. Very disappointed.

3  Thank bill m
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I ate there Thursday Nov 7th 2013 .. had a SUPERB experience .. felt like I was being treated like royalty .. everything served food wise was beyond expectation. The 10oz Ribeye steak melted in my mouth is was so tender, tasty, perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked. The rolls were warm and waiting at the table when we were seated. We waited for nothing .. we were checked on just enough. We were so impressed we wanted to make sure we returned again before we left town. I felt like it was well worth every cent of the 79.00 we spent before tip. So we made a reservation for 8pm 2 days later Saturday night, fully expecting the same wonderful experience. Boy were we in for a surprise when we had a below average experience on Saturday night.

I must acknowledge that they appeared to be overwhelmed with the number of people that were there and waiting. We arrived at 7:59 for our 8pm reservation. We were told we could expect to be seated withing 15 minutes when we made the reservation. We waited 50 minutes to be seated. There were no warm rolls waiting, didn't even have bread plates. The waitress arrived promptly and took our order for drinks and an appetizer of baked brie. The water and coffee arrived within normal time, took quite awhile for the wine to arrive. The salad bar was fine as expected from the previous experience. But from there it all went down hill. The appetizer was forgotten by the chef not the waitress. So she said there would be no charge and did we still want it .. since it was wonderful before I said I'd like it even though it would arrive after the entrees. The entrees came sooner than expected but were a huge disappointment. the steak was just okay, a bit fatty and definitely not as tasty or anywhere near as tender as the first one we had 2 days prior. The salmon was ordered medium and came mostly raw. When the rolls came they were not fresh and warm as they were 2 nights before.

So I'm not at all sure what to expect in the future?? But I would definitely not go on a busy weekend and expect a stellar experience based on my two experiences. We were completely disappointed but it was only because we had such an incredibly wonderful experience 2 nights prior. If we had just gone there for the second time for a first time experience, I would probably not return. But if we had only gone the first time on Thursday, I would have returned and recommended it to all my friends.

1  Thank AdventurerByNature
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

We called in our 6:40 table at 3:30 and after arriving at 6:30 we were seated by 7:05 (which for us was totally acceptable). The steaks and salmon were fantastic as was the salad bar. A chef cut the steak exactly to our liking at our table. We were celebrating an engagement (which I mentioned when I called) so they gave us a river front table with candle light. It really made the night.

To have the best experience here plan on waiting after your called in time. Don't show up expecting to eat right away. Know that dinner is pricey but the quality and setting will make any occasion extra special. If we're celebrating something next time we're in town we'll be back, if not we may go for something more affordable.