“Solid Choice in Gatlinburg”
Review of Hungry Bear BBQ #2

Hungry Bear BBQ #2
Ranked #65 of 203 Restaurants in Gatlinburg
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My friends and I were craving BBQ; a few review sites lead us to Hungry Bear BBQ.

I had the pork platter, which consisted of Smoked Sausage, Pulled Pork, and Ribs. The sausage was great! It had a good smoke flavor, crisp outer casing, and very moist. The ribs were not the absolute best, but they were good solid ribs with good smoke, fall off the bone, and decent flavor profile. The pulled pork wasn't the absolute best, like the ribs, it was a good pulled pork.

Their sauces were good, but I never went weak at the knees. I mixed the hot with sweet/mild; that provided a level of complexity to the pulled pork.

The baked beans are good enough to compete! I'm not going into detail, you just need to eat them! :-)

I had the Brunswick stew; it was disappointing. Almost too sweet, if that makes sense for a stew. The potato salad wasn't traditional potato salad.

They serve Cheerwine, which takes you to another time period. I drink it whenever I get the chance. Prices were fair; scenery is simple.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The meat was very dry and the sides had no flavor..sauces were okay. Very little parking, which is inconvenient since it's not on the main strip. Just didn't have a good experience.

1  Thank DTROON
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Looking for a place to eat, we ran across this quaint little restaurant beside the road with smoke coming from the smoker out back. So, we figured it was an authentic BBQ restaurant. Turns out it is. According to my wife, who is a BBQ expert, the BBQ was actually smoked, although not as good as my own homemade BBQ. The portions of meat were good, the price was reasonable, and the little restaurant definitely had a local flavor (which was a "plus" in my book). The young man who served us was courteous. My own BBQ has a more "Smokey" flavor; I asked him what wood he uses --Oak. That explains it; I use hickory or maple. Anyway, we enjoyed the visit and the food. And it's more authentic than Corky's or some of the other chain BBQ joints. I'd say give 'em a try.

1  Thank dmcgan
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Screwed up and went here instead of the Hungry Bear #1 which gets better reviews and where it appears they actually smoke the food. We got the 4 meat combo which included Chicken, Ribs, Pulled Pork, and Beef, and 2 sides which we chose potato salad and Mac N' Cheese. We also added on a side of the baked beans. Total was around $22 which wasn't too bad for what we got.

Now for the meat. The chicken was very very dry. It did have a good flavor to it but was soooooo dry that we ended up not eating it. The ribs were good and tender and had just the right amount of smoke flavor to them. The pulled pork was nothing to write home about and we actually didn't eat all of it either because it didn't have a ton of flavor to it. The beef was pretty juicy and had a good flavor to it. I should've asked but I assumed I would get sliced beef brisket but it was pulled beef instead.

As for the sides the potato salad was dry and had no flavor to it. A little bit more mayo and maybe some salt and pepper would do it wonders for them. The mac n cheese was awesome and the small side we got didn't last long. If you do go here get a large side of it. Also the beans were very good too. I normally am not a fan of baked beans but these were really good. We got a large side of these and finished them as well.

All in all not a bad BBQ joint but not one to go out of your way for either. If I was back in the area I would go to the #1 store and see if it fares better than this one did.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Old house cafe-ish place. Food was good, but overpriced. Tax on the food was 11.25 %. Family of 6 on a budget was $55.