“Hungry Bear or Grumpy Bear?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hungry Bear BBQ #2
Ranked #61 of 194 Restaurants in Gatlinburg
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Waterloo, Canada
“Hungry Bear or Grumpy Bear?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Oh boy, how do you rate this experience? 5 stars for food; 1 star for service. Restaurant was old but very clean. Staff were miserable and unfriendly. If you can ignore the personalities, this is some of the best BBQ you'll ever eat.

Visited November 2013

Wilton, California
“Really good food, almost excellent!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I'm not usually a BBQ fan, but Vern saw the place was open and we wanted an early dinner so we stopped in. I imagine the #1 store farther up the road is a bigger shop, but this is a re-used house and I thought it was simple and effective. Vern ordered the brisket dinner. Two rolls, two small sides (maybe 1/4 cup each) and a good portion of delicious tender beef brisket. We thought the price was reasonable. I ordered a pulled pork sandwich and just loved it. There are three sauce bottles on the table, mild, sweet mild and hot. We each tried all three before our food arrived. The hot was really to much for me! The regular mild had a more acidic flavor so the sweet sauce was an excellent choice for me. I put it on both sides of the bun and on the meat. If you don't get messy here you aren't doing it right! Paper towel rolls right there to try and keep yourself clean, but a good bathroom sink if you are truly sloppy. We also ordered the three chocolate Bundt cake to share. What a super supper topper! Very good. I also tried a soft drink I'd never heard of. Cheerwine soda. It tastes like a cherry Dr. Pepper and was really good! Made in one of the Carolinas. Vern enjoyed their sweet tea. We were pleased with the meal, the price, and the couple running the place.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Not as good as I hoped”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

The bar be que was ok, the sides were very small and bland. The people were friendly and the sweet tea was good. The sauce was ok. We got ours to go. I am a huge bar be que nut and not easily impressed.

Spotsylvania, Virginia, United States
“Nothing Special”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stopped by in September 2013. The service was non existant and the place was humming with flies. The food was bland and the sauce was watery. I would not go back!! Stay away!!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Rick S
Michigan
“Always up for something new”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We read about this restaurant on trip advisor before our recent trip to Gatlinburg. We are always up for new restaurants to try especially local favorites. Our first trip to the restaurant we decided to dine in as usual. Wrong decision. It is an old house which we were expecting from the reviews. They have 3 small rooms to sit in to eat. The one we chose I went to sit by the window. Upon approaching the table I noticed dead flies on the window sill. We switched to a different table only to have gnats flying around our heads. We ate the food fast because this was very bothersome. Now about the food. I had the beef brisket and my husband had the pulled pork. We both agreed it was the best we have every had and we have eaten at a lot of different BBQ restaurants over the years. The sides however were extremely small yet very good. Before we went back home we had to have it again but this time we ordered a carry out and a large side dish instead of the small that comes with the meal. Will definately go again on our next trip to Gatlinburg.

• Visited September 2013