“First time in 25 years; won't be that long again!”

Sweet Fanny Adams Theatre
Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
More Info
$23.12*
and up
Sweet Fanny Adams Theater Variety Show
Reviewed November 5, 2013

As a 7 year old boy, my mom and dad took me to my first visit to Sweet Fanny Adams' Theater. If my memory serves me correctly, the show I attended in the summer of 1988 might've been called The Dead Parrot cafe, but alas, those memories are distant. My experience then was an excellent one,although at that time I'm sure I missed many of the quips and puns. It's funny how life gets in the way sometimes; this past weekend was my first visit since then. While the cast had changed (except for Tim Coleman; I remembered his performance well!), the theater itself was as I had remembered it. A perfect blend of vaudevillian allusions and modern tongue-in-cheek humor. So much to be said for the small details (read the program carefully!) that are forgotten by other attractions. Character seemingly exuded from the walls.

The show itself holds to a more highbrow standard of humor than travelers are accustomed to in this area. While it does have it's own moments of "lowest common denominator" (the performers' words this past weekend, not mine!), it's a welcome respite to the other humorous offerings of the region. It saddens me to read in previous reviews that some travelers view this as a negative and complain that this show isn't "family friendly". I have a 4 year old and a 3 year old and wouldn't hesitate to bring them with me to another showing. There's enough fun for the kids to keep them entertained, yet no droning insult to one's intelligence that other local comedy shows can inadvertently provide. It's the parents responsibility to do your research on any attraction that may approach mature subject matter. If your children are easily offended or you don't wish to answer their questions, leave this one for the adults to enjoy! If they are mature enough to watch cable television, however, then logically they will be fine. The real world is a heck of a lot scarier than Sweet Fanny Adams!

It's hard to talk about the show itself without ruining so many fine parts of it. Many reviews on here have touched on various aspects of the performance directly; I will avoid doing the same for those that wish to be surprised but suggest watching a few YouTube videos or reading more user reviews here if you want to know more in advance about their aforementioned blend of humor and drama. That, after all, is what sites such as TripAdvisor are for. I will say this much, however- It's a blast to see the paper dance is still around! This one brings the house down every time. If you're sick of country music, animatronic animals in overalls (okay, so I'm not that classy; I still provide bewildered audience for hound dogs that play banjos and bears that blow in moonshine jugs) and overtly family friendly "comedy", don't hesitate to attend a performance at Sweet Fanny Adams Theater. One of the best experiences I've had in Gatlinburg in a very long time and a rare experience that you leaving feeling that you paid far less for what you actually received.

Chris and Jennifer, you (along with your band of ingenious thespians) have honored your father well. Thank you for keeping this treasure of the Smoky Mountains along the same visionary path it's enjoyed since it's inception. I for one have 25 years of catching up to do and look forward to being a regular from now on out!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife and I attended a Saturday evening show and I laughed so much I hurt. Just their facial expressions were hilarious. They were all talented performers and worked well together. You could tell they were friends as well as c-workers (and family). The price was very reasonable for a two hour show that changed directions every time you blinked your eyes. Great place great time, great people.
At times I felt like I was part of the show... maybe because at times I was :0)

1  Thank KYperson
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is a great family friendly show. It is vaudeville in the truest sense. The theatre is family owned and two of the primary characters in the 5 person troupe are brother and sister. The comedy is a mix of old vaudeville routines, some original material, a comedic take on Shakespeare, and even a few old movie skits (maybe they think we're too young to remember Danny Kaye). By far the funniest skit of the night was the 'Paper Dance' Good entertainment for the money.

1  Thank Mediocrates
Reviewed October 26, 2013

If you love to laugh, this is the best theater in the Smokys to experience! Spent two hours last night enjoying the antics of a 5 person troupe that encompassed at least 25 personalities! Sweet Fanny Adams Theater in downtown Gatlinburg, TN is easy to find, and very reasonable ramp parking is right across the street - it was our first visit, and we saw 'With a Tip of a Hat' which is a fast moving and hilarious series of skits! They run two shows on alternate days, and the other is more of a play that we intend to see as well.
The Theater is intimate, the audience is involved, and the humor moves seamlessly along, keeping the attention of all. There is a 15 minute intermission in the 2 hour show, and a concession stand with the most affordable treats I've seen in many years - all in all, Chris McPherson and his cast will give you a show to remember - and maybe even quote!

1  Thank shoelue1
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The 1st time I visited Gatlinburg three years ago with my daughter and her husband, we went to the show and I was pleasantly surprised. These folks are innovative and talented. You might not roll on the floor with every sketch, but you will laugh for a solid two hours. Silly but sophisticated fun. Family friendly and just darn nice people that really enjoy making you laugh. Loved the entire show.

1  Thank marty t