“"It's... SNOWING!!"”

Ripley's Moving Theater
Ranked #48 of 113 things to do in Gatlinburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: It’s going to be a bumpy ride. Better strap on your seat belts for this seriously REAL-D 5D Moving Theater experience. Our state of the art theater with digital effects and motions seats will have you feeling like you’re in the movie! Bump, dip, and shake your way through our Roadhoggers and Winter Wipeout adventures. We advise expectant mothers and people with certain medical conditions not to ride this ride. Fun for a date night, or a trip with the entire family, but hold on tight!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

We didn't plan on stopping here. But walking by my son wanted to check it out. There was only five of us in the theatre and the staff was nice. The first movie of the "double feature" was a bumpy bamboo roller coaster that was to jolty for my taste. I'm sure my son was comfortable, but the darn chair kept whacking me in the back of the head, and when the bucket chair leans to far back you can't see the 3D threw the glasses anymore.

The 2nd feature was a chase scene using the characters from Happy Feet. It was a lot better, the 3D looked nicer, and the ride actually seemed to being going along with what was happening on screen. There was fake foam snow, along with the shots of water you get in the face like in the 1st movie.

My son enjoyed it, but I could have passed. The most enjoyable part was listening to the reactions of the crazy mom with two kids behind us, "Oh my God were gonna DIEEE...." "He SHOT me in the FACE!!" If she hadn't been in theatre, I probably would have given this place a lower rating.

2  Thank Matthew0027

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I didn't think this ride would really be so fun. Only thing I will say, when the attendant that works there tell you to take off your, camera, hat, or place your cellphone in a secure place, they mean it. If you have kids under the age of 5, I would ask if it would be suitable for a child that young. I also had a groupon for this attraction

1  Thank djsmomDallas_GA
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Hard to put it any other way. This attrations sucks. 3d was bad, double images and not clear. The ride was very rough. Staff was rude indeed. And most of all is very expensive 50 dollars for a family of 4. I complained after the ride and staff didn't care , just said sorry. I had planned to go to more Ripley's attractions it cancelled those plans after this experience. Save yourself don't go to this attraction!!!!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was my second visit, and it was even more disappointing that the first.

While we were told ahead of time that the ride was not in the 3D format that they advertised, we were not made aware that it was grossly unwatchable.

Being told that it's not in 3D would normally mean that it's just a normal picture, like when you watch a non-3D movie at the theatre- right? WRONG!

The images were horribly distorted- sort of like they are when you watch a 3D movie without the glasses- but much worse. With or without the glasses, the entire feature was ruined.

Had we known ahead of time what they really meant by "Not in 3D" we would have skipped this attraction. A better explanation to your customers would be a more honest approach.

1  Thank Kylie B
Reviewed December 29, 2012

the 3-D images were so far out of allignment that it lost all ability to be viewed with or without the glasses. The double images that resulted from the misallignment made teh whole event an absolute waste of money and time. The ride sprayed us in the face with water from aerosol jets so many times that it simply served to make us angry and did not in any way add to the experience. The sound was so loud that it was breaking up and almost unintelligible. It sounded as though the speakers were ripped and the resulting sound quality was equally torn and irritating to be subjected to. Skip this attraction. It is the worst of the Ripley attractions.