“Peaceful Bliss at the Riverhouse Motor Lodge”
Review of Riverhouse Motels

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riverhouse Motels
Ranked #16 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed January 21, 2008

We decided to go to Gatlinburg for a long weekend and looked on tripadvisor for reviews. I wanted a room that was quiest and had a nice view. After looking at the reviews, we settled in on the Riverhouse Motor Lodge.

The property is on River street and is back from the road a few hundred yards. I already liked the location as I crossed the bridge over the river. The atmosphere is very quiet and about a block from the main action on Parkway.

The room is very large, has a rock fireplace (which turns on with a flip of a switch). I noticed a large amount of firewood, which led me to believe that possibly these fireplaces use to burn wood. There were two queen beds in our room, a small bathroom (with a great shower), a refrigerator, a microwave, a TV, and the best part of all....the balcony overlooking the river.

Almost everything was just as I wanted it. The rooms were clean, the carpet looked new, the bathroom fixtures and toilet had been replaced recently. I really enjoyed this hotel for the atmosphere.

The only downside to the hotel would have to be the beds. They weren't very comfortable and I woke up with a crick in my neck. The pillows are very flat, so be smart and bring your own pillows and blankets. I always immediately pull off the comforter and use my own.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Riverhouse motor lodge and give it 4 stars. Keep in mind, that 4 stars to me might not be the same to you. I was looking for an older, more rustic hotel room and this really fit the bill.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank DarthMouse

Reviewed September 8, 2007

This was our 3rd time staying at this hotel and we have always had a super experience. We reserved a king bedroom that has a separate bathroom (I like that).All the rooms are riverfront and it is so nice and peaceful out on the balcony.You feel like your out in the woods but you are only a short walk to the parkway.The room was very clean and comfortable and quiet and it is so easy to get a good nights sleep here.The pool is really nice, it has two different levels (one for small children and one for adults) and it was clean and refreshing.But the best part of this hotel has got to be their HOMEMADE donuts!! All you have to do is call the front desk each morning and tell them how many you want (along with piping hot coffee or hot tea) and in minutes it's at your door.I cannot recommended this hotel enough, it is just the very best place to stay in downtown Gatlinburg and we have stayed at many different places over the years.We have been to Gatlinburg at least 20 times and when we found the Riverhouse we stopped searching! You won't be sorry if you book a room there, it's a wonderful hotel! The front desk staff is super friendly and are there to help you with anything you might need.We'd give it 5 stars.........

1  Thank SmokyGirl32145
Reviewed July 31, 2007

Booked into Riverhouse Motor Lodge for 3 days in the latter portion of July. Weather dealt 3 straight days of 90 percent humidity.
Needless to say Gatlinburg lost much of its appeal...especially the parkway...just could not find the attraction in the overkill of ole time photo shops,cheap tee shirts,and cereal box souvenirs that abound on the parkway and even less so marinating in your own sweat.
The Riverhouse Motor Lodge is the Oasis of the trip....so
wonderfully secluded and secreted away in the trees and cleft of the mountain...a generous balcony overlooking the river....and a room so amazingly spacious and very well cared for and clean.Have paid for more expensive rooms in Las Vegas that could not hold a candle to the comfortable bed,wonderful air conditioning,and the spectacular sense of privacy myself and the wife experienced here.
Bravo Riverhouse Lodge....room 49 was a slice of heaven for 3 days in Gatlinburg...so wonderfully private that we did not hesitate to sleep with the curtains parted on the balcony facing the river. We are
eager to return...not for the touristy gimmicks that abound....for the sheer pleasure of mountains,trees,and this slice of heaven!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2007

the room was great, very similar to what you would expect in a small chalet, very roomy. TV was small for such a large room. Breakfast was disappointing, I was expecting more for a Continential Breakfast than homemade donuts, coffee or orange juice, not exactly what a diabetic should have for breakfast. No bugs,no problems.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed June 6, 2007

My daughter and I just returned from a short stay at Riverhouse Motor Lodge. Thanks TripAdvisors for your help. The Riverhouse Motor Lodge was exactly what I was looking for. As a child (forty years ago) I went to Gatlinburg every fall, and this was a trip down memory lane. From the time I turned off River Road until we left the next day, I have no complaints. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Our room was cozy, paneled but with good lighting. The dressing area was wonderful, very large, with a separate bath and shower room. It was nice to have a small refrigerator and microwave. The beds were very comfortable. Out one door are woods and mountains (no other hotels, as this one backs up against the mountain), and out the other door is a large balcony with plenty of trees and the beautiful stream, with steps and a path so that you can walk down to the stream. It is about 1 1/2 blocks to downtown Gatlinburg, but you feel like you are in another world! It was heaven to call room service in the morning while still in my pajamas and two minutes later there was a knock at the door with the most delicious homemade donuts, a pot of coffee and some orange juice. It is not new and fancy if that is what you want, but it is very clean and remodeled with new carpet, etc. If you long for "old Gatlinburg," give Riverhouse Motor Lodge a try. I absolutely loved it!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 17, 2007

What a delightful and peaceful place to stay in a city that tends to go overboard with touristy and often tacky nonsense. To get to the lodge, you drive over a bridge into a sanctuary set between the river and a mountain incline. When we first drove up to our room at the back of the lodge, the length of the place was almost cause for concern. But once you open the door to your room, you are in your own private world that includes a large private balcony with a view of trees and the river. Having fresh donuts, coffee and orange juice delivered to your room is a very nice touch. By the third day, we had our fill of the donuts but still appreciated getting coffee and juice sent to our door. We had a problem adjusting the shower temp, but they fixed that fast. Furthemore, we had two minor issues that kept it all from being perfect. The track lighting is romantic, but we could have used more functional light on a few occasions. It also would have been nice to access a few more cable channels, but we weren’t there to watch a lot of TV. Everything else was great -- including a jacuzzi for post-hike therapy and a nice fridge and microwave. Plus, this place is so clean that they even vacuum the parking lot!

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank SmokiesCat
Reviewed April 5, 2007

We returned to the riverhouse motor lodge for our second time and it was even nicer thant he first. Our room was very spacious with a gas log fireplace that was very romantic. The bathroom/vanity area was large enough for several people to get ready with a private room for the tub and toilet and an extra sink. My favorite part of the hotel is all the rooms are river front and your balcony is directly over the river, they also have a walkway down to the river where we went to feed the ducks. We had no problem checking in everyone was very friendly, we even decided to check-in a day early and when I called they were very accomodating. The motel is on the back road so you don't have all the noise from the parkway but yet your only a block away and can walk to everything.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple