“Wonderful Walk for Kids and Adults Alike”

A Walk in the Woods
Explore a Simpler Time Smoky Mountain Tour
Ranked #3 of 21 Tours in Gatlinburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Often imitated, two decades later, still in a class of our own. Locally owned and operated since 1998, A Walk in the Woods is the oldest Guide Service in the Smokies. We are the recipient of the coveted REI Top Guide Award, as well as the Travel Channel Top choice award. Since 1998, A Walk in the Wood has been your doorway to the Smokies. For almost 2 decades, we have taken over 100,000 people into the beautiful National Park on a variety of excursions from driving tours, easy gentle guided walks for families and novices, challenging adventures, to guided backpacking trips on the famous AT and more. We are the only guide service in the region where all of our guides are professionally trained naturalists, historians, storytellers and all around educators. Our guides are passionate about the natural world and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the Jewel of the Parks. We can also plan your adventure, rent your gear, shuttle you and help you safely explore the world of wild edibles and medicines, tasty mushrooms, tracking, birding, salamanders and more. As seen on Samantha Brown's Travel Channel Program, National Geographic Globe Trekkers, NBC Nightly News, Turner International, Backpacker Magazine, Endless Vacation, USA Today, AAA magazine Home and Away, National Geographic Adventurer, Outside Magazine, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Shape Magazine, Women's Health, Southern Living, the Chicago Tribune, Indianapolis Star, and more.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Stroller parking
Lumberton, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wonderful Walk for Kids and Adults Alike”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our family (ages 8-72) recently took the two hour guided nature hike, Exploring Nature with Children, in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Our guide was Jaimie, and she was just fantastic... cute, great personality, very knowledgeable, and SOOOO good with the children. They had a ball hunting for salamanders, learning about the wildlife and plants... even tasting some, and playing fun games that made then aware of all Mother Nature has to offer. The adults learned a lot, too, and had so much fun exploring the woods with the children. We highly recommend this walk... You'll experience far more with a guide than you will by yourselves! THANK YOU, Jaimie, for a great walk!

3 Thank Linda A

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great experience for 1st hike in the Smokies”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Since my friend and I didn't have any experience hiking in the Smokies, I booked a moderate hike to Courthouse Rock for our first day. Our guide, Mike, was excellent. He set a pace that was easily doable for us and kept our safety in mind. Mike provided us with wonderful information about the history, ecology, etc. of the Smokies. He also gave us some hiking and survival tips that have already been useful to us in subsequent hikes. Mike clearly loves the park and shared his enthusiasm with us. He provided us with some ideas for other, self guided hike that were off he beaten path. We followed his advice and had two other wonderful hiking experiences on our own. Thanks so much for providing this service. I would highly recommend a guided hike with this company.

2 Thank Roxy6363
Lindale, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“AT in The Smokies”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My teenage son and I had the most amazing week hiking the AT through the Smokies. This was made possible because of Jaimie and A Walk In The Woods. The shuttle from Fontana to Davenport was right on time, and during the car trip she educated us on everything we could expect for the trip, including flora, animals, shelters, trail etiquette, etc... She even lined our packs with trash bags to keep our things dry - this was our first backpacking trip. Because of her we had an amazing adventure, saw bears, met interesting people, and enjoyed the unbelievable scenery. I would definitely recommend this service to anyone - it definitely provided these Texans with an awesome experience! I can't wait to go back to The Smokies.

2 Thank sallylucy1967
Cape Coral, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Hiking in the Smokies”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My guide Jamie was wonderful! She was extremely knowlegable about the flora, fauna, and history of the area. As I was traveling alone, I decided to use this service. They listened to my needs and helped me pick a hike that was best suited to me and the time I had to spend. I highly recommend A Walk in the Woods. They will point out things that the average hiker might miss, and they made the experience extremely enjoyable.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank mcfree
Littleton, Colorado
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Mt Le Conte Mastered”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I so wanted to stay at the Lodge, but cannot do the lottery as my vacation is not that flexible. So, I did the next best thing...hiked Mt. Le Conte in one day. My guide, Charles, took me up the very popular Alum Cave Bluff trail. All along the way his knowledge of the flora and fauna was very impressive. He hiked at my pace which was a little faster than normal (the hike is over 11 miles). We came down the Rainbow Falls trail which is not crowded until you get to the falls. I really enjoyed working with this outfit as they were very flexible to weather concerns and were able to easily reschedule me quickly to the next day due to rain. Charles was very professional as was the entire company. I like that there is a cash discount option. I gained more knowledge hiking with Charles than I would have ever learned by hiking on my own. I highly recommend them when you visit Smoky Mountain National Park even if you have hiked some of the trails before, this will give you a new perspective on the diversity of this beautiful forest.

2 Thank Lori W