“Nice stay”

Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Livonia, MI
“Nice stay”
Reviewed April 21, 2006

My family and I stayed here during Easter week. We had a very nice stay. The beds were comfortable and we really enjoyed the riverside view. It is true that you can see the hotel next door but you also have a great view of the creek and the the beautiful wysteria just down the way. My husband and I enjoyed watching the ducks fly up stream and then ride the rapids down stream. They looked like a group of kids on a white water rafting trip - it was great! The fireplace (electric) was a nice touch although we had to keep our kids from using it too much - it made the room too hot! The breakfast was fine - plenty of food that lasted us most of the day. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2006
9 Thank jwittbra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Reviewed April 10, 2006

This lodge is a welcome relief to the hundreds of choices while visiting the mountains! It is not only comfortable, but adds the little extras that make a vacation so memeorable. The overview of the river gives not only the feeling of relaxation, but enhanses the beauty of this special place! We especially enjoyed the fireplace and the hot tub after a day of treking through the trails in the Park.

• Stayed October 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Detroit MI
Reviewed March 21, 2006

We stayed here with three young children in Aug.'05 and had a good experience. Our room was larger than most and had a jacuzzi tub and balcony. The extra room was greatsince we had extra kid stuff with three little ones. There was room to set up Hot Wheels track! Ask about the rooms because there are several options. We liked the location - right at the start of GSMNP and right in town. We walked the strip severail night to eat and see the sights. The breakfast there worked out great for us. We are a cereal/pancake family so there was plenty for us to choose from. They had cold cereal, hot waffles, breads, bagels, fruit, yogurt, drinks. We had one snafu a couple of days. Housekeeping was a bit mixed up and did not leave towels for a few days. A quick call to the front desk fixed that and they even took a night charge off our stay. Beware that the pool is TEENY TINY!

• Stayed August 2005
15 Thank AlphaGam
Reviewed March 15, 2006

My fiance and I just stayed at the Bearskin from 3/13-15 and we had a really nice time. We had a King sized bed, fireplace, whirlpool tub and view of the river. The location of the hotel is great since its a block off the main strip, not on the busy street and is within walking distance of everything. For the price, you really can't beat it. Breakfast is nice, since you get to make your own waffles in the griddles they provide, as well as offer you fresh fruit, cereal, danishs and toast/bagels.

Be sure to go to Calhoun's for some unbelievable BBQ!

I would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed March 2006
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 14, 2006

After reading the reviews here - good and bad - I chose this hotel for my husband and I to stay Mar 11 - 14, 2006. I believe ALL rooms have the gas fireplace and two-person whirlpool tub. We did not need the fireplace due to the great weather we had, but that tub was AWESOME!! After a five hour drive... after a three mile hike.... after half a day of walking through town... PLUS, my husband said I looked tiny in it! That's worth a lot!! The hotel is beautiful! So many hotels in Gatlinburg are old and lacking any character - this one was very refreshing. However, I guess unless you are going to get one of the suites, there is no need to get a room on the creekside. I read that here, but didn't pay attention. Believe me, it is more private facing the road than the creek. It was a nice quiet side of the town, one road away from the parkway, but still close enough that we walked to everything we wanted to do in town. Also, it was easy to sneak off to the park since it is on that side. Breakfast included bagels, muffins, toast, cereal with milk, fresh fruit, boiled eggs and do it yourself waffles (not frozen, but batter and a waffle iron). There were sugar free choices of jelly and syrup. Local newspapers and USA Today were available at the front desk at no charge, and we were greeted each time we passed the front desk. A restaurant that had been recommended to us was just next door - The Peddler. Steaks, potatoes, large salad bar - nice atmosphere and very tender steaks. We went there the first night and were very pleased ($77 for steak, potato and salad dinner including tip and two mixed drinks) Know before you come that the tax rate there appears to be 12% - not just for lodging, but everywhere you go. Wish we could have had one more day!! I will probably choose a cabin next time so that I can bring my dog - but if I chose a hotel in town again (very convenient since parking is limited in town and there is usually a charge for it) I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed February 28, 2006

My husband and I got married in a Gatlinburg Chapel one weekend in September. We're from Florida and we had family come in from all over, so we decided that The Bearskin Lodge would be the hotel that we and our families would stay at.

I looked at countless hotels before deciding on The Bearskin Lodge from their internet site and a brochure, because it reminded us of our favorite Walt Disney World hotel, the Wilderness Lodge.

I was a little nervous before we got there, since I'd never actually seen the place and we were having so many people stay there for the wedding. But it was such an amazing surprise. It's a newer hotel right next to the national park, and with so many older run down hotels in the area, this was a place was a treat. We had a huge room with a Jacuzzi tub, mini fridge, fireplace, and private balcony with rocking chairs overlooking a beautiful stream. It was so clean and we were so impressed. My daughter loved the heated lazy river, she spent hours in there.
You can walk just about everywhere from the hotel. We walked to the Ripley's Aquarium, Hard Rock Cafe, Christus Gardens, tons of great restaurants like the Park Grill, and there's a KFC right across the street. There's also a little pancake house across the street that we walked to for breakfast every morning.
We would definitley stay there again. It was one less thing that I had to worry about before my wedding and our families had a blast.

• Stayed September 2005
13 Thank FloridaSunsoaker
Reviewed February 22, 2006

We stayed at the Bearskin Lodge 2/18/06-2/20/06. We arrived at the hotel around 10:00 AM, mostly to avoid bad driving conditions as predicted snowfall was already occurring. We knew it was too early to check-in, but we hoped to let them know we were there and hopefully we could get the check-in completed, although we knew we would not be able to receive a room key, as check-out was 12:00. We were immediately put off when the check-in personnel were brusque, would not even look the guests in the eye, and acted as if we were bothering them. They asked for our name and then said it would be a few hours before we could check in, and then dismissed us by asking the name of the next guest without ever looking up from their computer to acknowledge us. So decided to park our vehicle and enjoy the shops and scenery. We returned 2.5 hours later, very cold and needing a warm place to relax. Once again, the clerks never raised their eyes to acknowledge us, but asked for our name. At this point we were told our room would not ready until 3:00 PM. During this process, 2 vehicles had pulled up to check in, and they were immediately given room keys. We chose to sit in the small lobby until we had warmed sufficiently. We decided to walk to a local restaurant for lunch. Upon our return to the lobby around 3:30, we were allowed to check-in, but never once during the process did the staff take the time to smile or look the customer in the eye. They herded us through the process and dismissed us. We went on up to our room. The room was basic, nothing special, but was clean. We did discover that housekeeping were unable to speak english and could not understand our request for a "Do Not Disturb" sign. We had the same housekeeper each day of our stay. When we had the "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door the next morning, the housekeeper attempted to open our door. Apparently she couldn't read the sign. The continental breakfast was fine, it was made enjoyable by being able to make fresh waffles. They offered a sugar-free syrup that was delicious, a plus for us. Over all, the experience would have been good had the staff been more friendly and customer oriented. We thought upon check-out, since it was a different staff member, we would at least have someone experienced enough to know looking the customer in the eye to acknowledge them was part of the service, but no, this CM also was rushed and never let her eyes leave the computer, going from one customer to another. We will not stay at the Bearskin Lodge again, there are too many places in the area that offer mediocre rooms, however friendly staff make all the difference.

• Stayed February 2006