“Wonderful location & clean”

Bearskin Lodge on the River Hotel
Ranked #9 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed April 29, 2014

This was an unexpected stay for my family. We had a cabin reserved for the week. The cabin was very old, falling apart and a fire hazard. (no joke) We left that place and called Bearskin lodge. They were able to accommodate us. We were happy with the cleanliness of the room and hotel. The staff was very kind. We were very happy with the location and being able to walk downtown since all the general parking lots charge to park. I enjoyed the outdoor bonfires the hotel had each night. Nice to talk with other guests and share site seeing tips.

Room Tip: The standard 2 queen rooms are a bit larger than other hotels with the same.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Christine T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,127)

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Very good price for this hotel!! Our room was very big but the in room fridge was very small. We were on the third floor overlooking the parking lot which was, in our opinion, better than spending another $30/night to overlook the river AND another hotel. At the end of the street running through downtown Gatlinburg so you can easily walk to a lot of the attractions in the downtown area. Really close to the Great Smokey Mountains NP and the Ober Gatlinburg ski tram as well. Lots of restaurants to choose from. Cozy lobby with a fireplace and an outdoor pool. The lazy river just another pool shaped differently - not sure how many tubes you could fit in it as it was closed when we were there. We'd definitely stay here again. The breakfast was a bit on the skimpy side - cereal, breads, sweet rolls and waffles - but you never know what you're going to get with hotel continental breakfasts.

Room Tip: Warning - our fridge was quite small. Beds need upgrading - very soft.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 26, 2014

My wife and I attended my best friend's wedding in Gatlinburg and decided to stay at the bearskin.
When we arrived we found the staff to be friendly and helpful but that's where is stopped.
When we got to our room we were shocked to find the advertised stream view was facing another motel that is falling apart.
The room was on the second floor the balcony view was of the bridge crossing the stream' the noise from the cars and the pedestrian traffic was very noticeable even with the ac fan on high.
I went to the front desk to ask if we could be moved to another room after a half hour they found a spa room with two queen beds for an additional 40 dollars a night not what I wanted.
We decided to stay as it was too late to cancel the wedding was the next day.
My wife went to use the whirlpool and found green slime in the handles and a mold covered knob laying on the side of the whirlpool.
When arrived back to our room after the rehearsal dinner we thought the ac had stopped working but found the fireplace was on for no reason.
During the night I had to turn the fireplace off three more times after that it didn't come back on the rest of our stay.
I've tried to contact the manager both by phone and email asking him to give me a call about my stay with no response .
I recommend if your going to stay in Gatlinburg do your research what you see online here is not what you get here
There's better and places to stay here

Room Tip: Don't believe what you see on line
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bobby B
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

In April, we got a very nice room at a reasonable price. The fireplace timer stayed on and no instructions for the Jacuzzi, otherwise I would have given it 5 stars.
Good parking and rooms on the back are quiet and overlook a creek.

We'd be happy to return.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The staff were really nice, and the hotel was a great location! Everything was in walking distance, and the room was very homey. My fiancé and I went for a weekend, and had a fabulous stay! Very quiet, peaceful, and no "surprise charges". Well worth the money, and would choose this place over anywhere else in gatlinburg to stay!!! The fireplace in the room was awesome. The free breakfast was great, and was just an overall great place...

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 15, 2014

My husband and I make a trip to the Smokies every December for my birthday. We usually stay in Pigeon Forge but decided to stay in Gatlinburg this time. We had an amazing stay. The room was fantastic. We were really surprised that we could stay in such a nice place for the price. Fully stocked and clean! Our room had a fireplace that made our stay romantic and warm. Linens were clean and looked new. The bed was comfy, too! Also, the jacuzzi tub was HUGE! My husband loved the complimentary apple cider and fresh made cookies in the lobby. Definitely recommend Bearskin Lodge.

Room Tip: The lodge is at the end of Gatlinburg strip. Close enough to walk to everything and far enough away...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We were there April, 2014. It was clean, updated and the people friendly. They honor Tripe A discounts. The bed was comfort. The only reason I can not give it a 5 is the following: their complimentary breakfast, didn't have ANY protein. Lots of carbs in the form of waffles, muffins, cereal and bagels and some fruit, but no protein. Even a lot of your low end places will offer hard boiled eggs or some type of protein. We skiped Bearskin Lodge's breakfast the second morning and went out for a more satisfying breakfast. This place isn't cheap, they could break down and offer a little protein in the morning before one goes out hiking in the Great Smokies.

Room Tip: Go out for a better breakfast if you need protein in the morning before a good hike.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple