“Odd Check in practices”

Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Colquitt, Georgia
“Odd Check in practices”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Wife new bride and I walked to check availability. We were pleased that we could find a special room. I handed over my credit card to reserve (the room was not yet ready needed to be cleaned). We filled out guest registration. We left to return 2 hours later to go to room. We were told that that room had been given to another guest. All that was available was on a lower floor. That is not what we wanted or expected. After speaking to a manager we received a discount. Handed over credit card. When we got home I found that they ran my credit card for full amount (rather than authorize it). The credit followed by a few days meantime my bank account went negative (we ran a tight trip), waiting for that credit. The hotel was not interested in doing anything to help what cost me extra money by tthem running a strange check in procdure. I have worked for three diferent hotels and visited many. Never before now have I seen a check in that ran a card instead of authorize for check in.

Room Tip: Use the sister hotel down the street, the front desk knows what it is doing.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jay F
General M, General Manager at Bearskin Lodge on the River Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Again, our apologies for the confusion. We will definitely use your circumstance as an example, and correct this issue right away. Thank you for choosing Bearskin Lodge to spend your special weekend. I do hope you had a nice time during Gatlinburg's Winterfest! It is a gorgeous time of year to visit.
Yes, we do charge upon check-in. That seems easier for everyone, especially since we do not have costly amenities that are added to your bill...it's all included! We certainly apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. Please give us another try on your next visit to the Smokies! Happy Travels...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Paris, Tennessee
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I stayed at Bearskin Lodge for 3 nights. They offer a winter special on the rooms and you can't beat it. The fireplace in the room is great. You can hear the roaring river which is very relaxing. This lodge is one block from the main shopping and eating area. Easy to walk to. Bed was very comfortable and the breakfast was the standard continental. The room stays warm with the fireplace on so I didn't need the heat. Kept the fan on for air but overall the room was very quiet and never heard any noise outside the room. Nice place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Denise M
Thank you so much for taking a moment to write about your recent experience at Bearskin Lodge. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. Please remember us on your future visits to Gatlinburg and the Smoky Mountains, and feel free to keep up with us on facebook! Happy Travels...
Loganville
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed a Bearskin Lodge last week. We took advantage of their winter special. The room was nice and the staff friendly. They had a continental breakfast with make them yourself waffles. While we were there we had snow and had to stay an additional day. They were very accommodating.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank John G
Milton, Florida
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed for three days in Nov. 2013. Room was great! Fireplace and jacuzzi tub worked great. Bed was very comfortable. Great location. Staff seemed a little short handed and over worked.
Our room was on the parking lot side and I feel was the better side due to the creek side having a view of another hotel across the creek. Our view was of mountains and the main road through Gatlinburg.

Room Tip: The parking lot side is better than the creek side.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cullman, Alabama
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I got married in Gatlinburg January 16, 2014 I chose Bearskin Lodge on the River as my hotel as well as family & friends. Together we had a total of 10 rooms. Upon arrival, I was informed my room had been changed to two beds instead of the one that I had chosen. As I complained about this the curly haired lady stated "she did me a favor by upgrading my room" I did NOT see it as an upgrade as this was where my husband & I would be spending our wedding night. She also stated that she had put us all on the same floor as I had requested. There was only one of the 10 rooms on the same floor as I was! The lady was very rude! She finally changed my room to a king room the next day after my sister complained! The rooms were nice and great for the price but the CUSTOMER SERVICE ABSOLUTELY SUCKED!!! It would do this hotel great to find staff that was more devoted to their customers rather than what another employee is doing, checking their cell phones, or putting their needs first! Also, the cleaning ladies were rude. They did not even offer to move out of your way as you tried walking down the hall they went on about their vacuuming and conversation with other employees as if you weren't even there. I was very disappointed :(

Room Tip: Choose the River View Rooms. They are worth the extra money. However they do seem to be the same siz...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bjenkins011416
General M, General Manager at Bearskin Lodge on the River Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
First, Congratulations on your marriage! We are thrilled you chose us to celebrate your big day and we apologize that some things were less than perfect. Jeannie is an exceptional and long-time employee, and it seems there was some confusion. She tried to accommodate the request of being on the same floor and that meant a a move to a different room type. We found out you were unhappy and quickly moved you into a King room, but that meant away from the group. We would love to have the opportunity to have you as our guest again. Please accept our apologies and let us know if you will be returning to the area.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

My husband, 2 year old daughter, and I checked in November 21, 2023. Check in was super easy and fast. Went upstairs to our room and got ready for bed (it was late when we finally got there). Got up on Friday morning and went to get the continental breakfast. The coffee was out and the cereal was almost stale. After breakfast, we went back to our room. As my husband was getting my daughters blanket out of our bed, he noticed a bug in our bed. So, like most people, we googled bed bugs. The pictures on google looked exactly like what was in our bed. Went downstairs and showed the girl at the front desk. She immediately refunded us a portion of our nights stay. We ended up talking to the manager and decided, since I was 6 months pregnant at the time and also had a two year old, that we wanted to check out and asked for a refund for Friday night. The manager was very accommodating and ended up getting a full refund for both nights. They were very easy to work with, but I will NEVER stay here again! Hope no one else has, or has had this same problem here!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
16 Thank KMPC123
Dallas, Georgia
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Pros: Good Location at the end of town, Gas Fireplace, in-room
Whirlpool, covered parking

Cons: The staff is not very friendly and the hotel is too new to be run down

Summary: too many hotels around to comprise with comfort and quality by choosing this one

My husband and I reserved our room at the Bearskin months in advance for our honeymoon. Check-in time was at 3 but we got in town early so I wanted to see if our room was ready. When we walked into the lobby only one clerk was behind the desk. The phone was ringing off the hook and she helped all the callers first.
When she finally checked us in she was very straight to the point but not hospitable.
My husband and went up to our room which was a queen room with a whirlpool and a river view. The room was small and the view is obscured by a hotel across the creek that's being renovated. I'm pretty sure it was vacant but if it wasn't people could see pretty much right into your room. Weird.
The bathroom was small and there was no microwave in the room which was a huge disappointment. We had brought leftovers from our lunch and snacks. Front desk said the only microwave in the hotel was in the breakfast area and could only be used during breakfast hours. We were disappointed. The in room fridge was a joke so we ended up having to store our drinks on the private balcony.
The best part of the room was the gas fireplace.
My husband went to use the Pepsi machine and selected Mountain Dew and got Diet Pepsi. When he told the front desk the attendant she "advised him not to use them" saying they all were dispensing the wrong drinks on every floor. She refunded him his money and he walked across the street to the gas station.
We used the whirlpool. It was okay. Just seemed a little run down. The bed was incredibly squeaky and not very comfortable.
Breakfast is the usual spread. Bagels, cereal, waffles, juice, coffee etc. It's on the third floor.
Location is good. It's at the end of town near the Brewery which we love.
After going out to dinner and talking it over we decided that we would be happier at another hotel. We checked out the next day and found a hotel for the same rate with a larger room and bathroom, King size bed, and in-room whirlpool.
When we told the clerk at the front desk we were checking out early she said nothing about thank you for staying with us or are you sure. Basically she didn't care at all.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple